Confirming a TruTrac and Detroit

fishEH

Jan 26, 2009
Lake Villa, IL
My 94D1 is supposed to have a TruTrac front and Detroit rear. Is there any way to confirm this without pulling the 3rd? Lift the truck and spin the tires or something?

rovercanus

Apr 24, 2004
Pretty much.
Put your transmission and transfer case in neutral. Lift it one wheel at a time and try to spin them. If they free wheel then likely you don't have DT in the rear. Not sure how the front will work. If I remember correctly, with both fronts off the ground, spinning one wheel will spin both. Same in the rear.
I'm hoping to install my TT/DT from my 2000 into my 04 tomorrow if it doesn't rain to hard. I can let you know then.

Discojunky

Apr 20, 2004
Greenville SC
The easy way to see if the rear is a Detroit is to make a tight circle in a parking lot and you will hear it ratchet. Mine does it even if I don't turn real tight. The newer ones (like I have) are called a soft locker but even they still have an obvious ratcheting sound when turning tight on the pavement.

Jack it up where both tires are off the ground and spin one.....if the BOTH spin the same way it's a True Trac or Detroit if one spins the opposite way its not.

fishEH

Jan 26, 2009
Lake Villa, IL
Driving it isn't an option right now. I'm in the middle of a trans swap and there's no seats in it.
Since both driveshafts are out I'll try spinning the tires. Thanks!

Buddy

Nov 6, 2006
Central NC
The DT is easy, you just won't be able to spin one wheel with it on Jack stand unless it's in neutral. The TT you should be able to tell also. Put it on Jack stands and try and spin one wheel if you feel a lot of resistance before the other wheel spins the opposite way it's probably a TT. Just make sure your brakes are free before you start this.

Basically the TT will allow the wheels to spin in opposite directions it just take a lot more force to break them loose.

SCSL

Apr 27, 2005
That's a tough one. The Detroit is easy to test. The TT not so much. I know opinions vary but I'm hard pressed to see any difference in real world trail conditions between a TT and an open front with CDL/TC/locked rear combo. Can provide vid evidence, but not hosted...
So if you have a Detroit in the rear, confirming the TT might be tough without taking it out and looking at it.