DiscoWeb Message Boards

Go Back   DiscoWeb Message Boards > DiscoWeb Non-Technical Boards > General

General General BS

Old 12-25-2014, 04:30 PM

I just received my order. I bought some clothes to try new things.

They sure feel tough. I'm impressed with the material and design at first glance. They certainly blow the fucking doors off the Carhartts I received the previous day. There's no comparison.

That said, I can't get away from this third-word impression I'm getting from them. I know they are made in China, and I don't like that at all, but they kind of seem like something you'd buy off the back of a pickup in Nairobi. That was the first thing that popped into my head.

I'm sure they'll last a long time, but so do Firestone and Pirelli sandals.

Maybe it's the stitching, or the way they are tailored; I don't know. Everything seems to fit nice, and the hardware isn't cheap, but there are little mistakes present.

None of them are serious, but they are the kind that brings to mind outdated machinery and rushed production. That's not it, though. It's a little annoying, but it's not the problem.

Something just isn't there, as if these are too far divorced from the mind that thought them up.

It's almost as if the bag should have been labeled "Trousers, Abrasion Resistant Utility; Size 3A, Color B".

Am I crazy, or does anyone else get this impression?

I look at them and think "good", but I'm just not feeling good when I'm thinking it.

Cheers,

Kennith

Dan Chapman is a coward. I own a magical island.
Old 12-25-2014, 05:21 PM
Industrial strength dickhead

Member Trucks
Interesting review. I'm going to order a pair. Just curious, how do they fit as far as being true to size?
99 D2 6 link
07 RR HSE LUX
NELRC.COM (If you join you'll feel good inside)
Lucky 8.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRflip
So, even though I've never seen him suck his own dick; if he could it would be tactical as fuck.
Old 12-25-2014, 05:35 PM

They seem pretty accurate so far as fit is concerned. I'd go so far as to say better than most in all dimensions. You're good ordering whatever your normal size is.

They ride higher than most, but no worse than anything you'll have stuffed in boots before.

The hanger bender shirt I got at the same time, however, is way bigger than it's supposed to be, and after checking reviews, I noted that I'm not the only person that ran into the issue. They run fucking huge, man.

Cheers,

Kennith

Old 12-25-2014, 10:12 PM
What happened to my title?

Im not a fan of how heavy they are, I tried to wear them in the summer and it was horrible. I've been buying their "everyday carpenter pants" and they seem to work good in both the summer and winter. if i get cold in the winter i just throw some bibs on anyways and its a done deal. theyre definitely good work pants that can get abused and seem to last a lot longer than most. it is too bad theyre all imported but its damn there impossible to find a decent price on throw away work pants that are made in the U.S anyways.
Old 12-26-2014, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by post View Post
Im not a fan of how heavy they are, I tried to wear them in the summer and it was horrible. I've been buying their "everyday carpenter pants" and they seem to work good in both the summer and winter. if i get cold in the winter i just throw some bibs on anyways and its a done deal. theyre definitely good work pants that can get abused and seem to last a lot longer than most. it is too bad theyre all imported but its damn there impossible to find a decent price on throw away work pants that are made in the U.S anyways.
Make something solid enough and it doesn't need to be thrown away.

I've got some good stuff, and I know where to get more, but I wanted to try some different things, since a lot of designs have changed.

Weight and warmth aren't big issues for me. I like to see fabrics of this weight. If they last, I'm sure I'll be wearing them in the summer. Hell, I don't even take off my over-shirt unless the temperature climbs past 100.

I don't even own a pair of shorts, and the thinnest pants I have are these Columbia things I'm wearing now, which are rather thick by outdoor standards.

I got used to being stuffy and uncomfortable a long time ago. Now I feel strange if I'm not. I may be hot, but at least the sun isn't beating down on me.

Just like my Uncle taught me: When it gets hot, roll your sleeves up and drink water.

Cheers,

Kennith

Old 12-26-2014, 07:51 AM

I have a pair that I've had for a while. They fit a little snugger than my Kuhls and run more along with the Mountain Khakis - at least that is my experience. The Duluth pants are certainly more of a work pant that don't have the fit of a "higher end" pant like Kuhl, etc. I feel like a tool just saying that. Damn.

I'm tight when it comes to reusing pants - I take them to the my local seamstress when I get holes in them to keep them going for another year and another................... My favorite currently are still Kuhl, but if I didn't get 50% all their stuff I am not sure I'd have the addiction I do. It's on par with Mountain Khaki I guess, but I've had better luck with them. Not as tough as some of the work focused pant, but I like them and spend a large percentage of my work and off days outside Bo and Luke Dukein' over fences, etc.
1992 Toyota Prado
1991 Toyota Hilux
1991 Toyota Surf
1996 Toyota Land Cruiser
1997 Toyota 4Runner
2008 Chevrolet Tahoe LTZ
2005 KTM 950 Adventure
1993 Mad River Explorer
1996 Thoroughbred
Old 12-26-2014, 09:46 AM
KK4DPX

Member Trucks
I have been happy with mine during the fall/winter months (when I'm stateside), I wasn't impressed with their lightweight version. Been wearing them for about 4-5 years, and def concur with the notion that they should have an NSN based off the way they feel. That's prob why I like them actually.
Old 12-26-2014, 12:42 PM

I thought they were a lot lighter than I was expecting them to be. But the way they're made is better than I was expecting.

Size seems to run small. I wear a 36" waist and a 36" was a little snug for me. I had to get a 38" and wear a belt.

I would not wear these as everyday pants. These are good pants for when you're using a chainsaw (reports have shown them to stop a chainsaw chain to the leg) or general outdoor work. I do not see them as being a good carpenter pant or doing any work that requires a lot of bending down, etc... However, I could see the overalls being pretty nice for that.

Got a pair, like em, don't see a need for a second pair until these wear out.
Old 12-26-2014, 06:08 PM
What happened to my title?

I do like their return policy! I sent back a pair of their fire hose pants and they refunded my money with no questions asked...then I bought something that was more my style from them. Thats probably one of the reasons I still shop there for most of my work clothes besides them making some good work pants.
Old 12-26-2014, 10:03 PM

Member Trucks
Anybody try the duluthflex pants? Been thinking about trying some but not sure I want the flex or original. I like my MK's so holding they would be similar.
Old 12-27-2014, 12:24 AM
KN4JHI

I saw a co-worker had ordered some, and I thought they look a little silly. If I wasn't the skinny jean wearing type, I'd go for some Fjällräven pants. I've got a few of their other products with the G-1000 fabric, and it is very durable. I also like the fact that you can wax it to make it more waterproof/windproof.
Old 12-27-2014, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jymmiejamz View Post
I saw a co-worker had ordered some, and I thought they look a little silly. If I wasn't the skinny jean wearing type, I'd go for some Fjällräven pants. I've got a few of their other products with the G-1000 fabric, and it is very durable. I also like the fact that you can wax it to make it more waterproof/windproof.
You can wax almost anything.

It doesn't have to be Fjallraven, Filson, or Barbour. The effect will be the same if you do a good job of it. Go wax your hipster jeans right now, and they'll be as waterproof as anything else.

Wax just works best on tight weaves, where you don't need to use very much.

Cheers,

Kennith

Old 12-27-2014, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrett View Post
I have a pair that I've had for a while. They fit a little snugger than my Kuhls and run more along with the Mountain Khakis - at least that is my experience. The Duluth pants are certainly more of a work pant that don't have the fit of a "higher end" pant like Kuhl, etc. I feel like a tool just saying that. Damn.

I'm tight when it comes to reusing pants - I take them to the my local seamstress when I get holes in them to keep them going for another year and another................... My favorite currently are still Kuhl, but if I didn't get 50% all their stuff I am not sure I'd have the addiction I do. It's on par with Mountain Khaki I guess, but I've had better luck with them. Not as tough as some of the work focused pant, but I like them and spend a large percentage of my work and off days outside Bo and Luke Dukein' over fences, etc.
The real question is how you get 50% off Kuhl..

(405): I feel like tequila is Gods way of lighting my fuse to do something awesome
Old 12-28-2014, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred View Post
The real question is how you get 50% off Kuhl..
Pro deals aren't that hard to get. I'm on ProMotive as well, but not all the pro deals on that site are 100% legit. With Kuhl I just asked - and showed them a picture similar to that in your avatar. Kuhl seemed to blow up pretty quick. I see a huge percentage of the guys we work with/train wearing them, but much of that is issued/allowance. I have two pair I never wore that fit a little snug if somebody wants them cheap. 36x34.
1992 Toyota Prado
1991 Toyota Hilux
1991 Toyota Surf
1996 Toyota Land Cruiser
1997 Toyota 4Runner
2008 Chevrolet Tahoe LTZ
2005 KTM 950 Adventure
1993 Mad River Explorer
1996 Thoroughbred
Old 12-28-2014, 09:21 AM
What does it take to become Senior?!?

Quote:
I have two pair I never wore that fit a little snug if somebody wants them cheap. 36x34.
Too many Oreo milkshakes after midnight...

Old 12-28-2014, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomar View Post
Too many Oreo milkshakes after midnight...

I've been holding off on those for a while - haven't had one in a month or so. It's mostly been pies from the local bakery http://a3.urbancdn.com/w/s/url/aHR0c...926_7-640m.jpg and menagerie of Whole Foods yummy yums. I only last about 15 min before the coma kicks in and I am out like a big piece of sexy.
1992 Toyota Prado
1991 Toyota Hilux
1991 Toyota Surf
1996 Toyota Land Cruiser
1997 Toyota 4Runner
2008 Chevrolet Tahoe LTZ
2005 KTM 950 Adventure
1993 Mad River Explorer
1996 Thoroughbred
Old 12-28-2014, 11:37 AM

Member Trucks
For the price point non washed double front carhartts are my go to. a couple pair last me a field season. Mountain khakis ccan't handle it but I like wearing them. I never order pants, I generally wear 32x30 but even with the bling mk's they have never made two pair that are the same. Must be the little kids inAsia being lazy
Old 12-28-2014, 11:44 AM
KN4JHI

I own a Carhartt jacket that I bought for working on Rovers outside, and I hate it. Its not warm and it fits me very poorly. Its as if they just make one sized sleeve for all of the jackets regardless of the size of the jacket. The jacket is also too short, but looks like I'm wearing a balloon. I'm pretty sure their jackets are for very fat people and the size only refers to the height of the person wearing it.
Old 12-28-2014, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Pro deals aren't that hard to get. I'm on ProMotive as well, but not all the pro deals on that site are 100% legit. With Kuhl I just asked - and showed them a picture similar to that in your avatar. Kuhl seemed to blow up pretty quick. I see a huge percentage of the guys we work with/train wearing them, but much of that is issued/allowance. I have two pair I never wore that fit a little snug if somebody wants them cheap. 36x34.
So, I just need to show them my avatar?
pm or email me about getting into your used pants.

(405): I feel like tequila is Gods way of lighting my fuse to do something awesome
Old 12-28-2014, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4 View Post
For the price point non washed double front carhartts are my go to. a couple pair last me a field season. Mountain khakis ccan't handle it but I like wearing them. I never order pants, I generally wear 32x30 but even with the bling mk's they have never made two pair that are the same. Must be the little kids inAsia being lazy
Thought it was just me. I have 5 pairs of MK that all fit totally differently.

Old 12-28-2014, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jymmiejamz View Post
I'm pretty sure their jackets are for very fat people and the size only refers to the height of the person wearing it.
Bingo.

My coworker and i discuss this at least once per week. We are outdoor enthusiasts, and compare technical clothing to work clothing.

Work clothes are made from plywood or cardboard, whichever the manufacturer can find cheaper. Then they use the same lasts theyve used the previous 80 years. Then sew the slats together with twine. They insulate them with either yarn or r20 fiberglass sheets. Whatever you do dont raise your arms past your waist and your fine. Dont wear it in the rain or youll be cold and wet.
Basically dickies, carhartt, arborwear, etc survives on brand recognition....if you want to look the part then wear those brands. Its like the Snap On tool shows once per year. Unless youre wearing realtree head to toe, navy blue dickies head to toe, or Snap On freebies head to toe youre not a real mechanic youre a pussy.

If the 'working man' manufacturers added some spandex and gussets they would probably be great for work....but the run of the mill work clothing is almost the price of the lower end technical outdoor stuff. personally I wear carhartt multi pocket scrub bottoms for work. They're great. They are made from ripstop cotton and I've yet to rip them or rip pockets off. I like clothes to fit properly instead of hanging so if they were a little slimmer and had a bit of spandex they would be perfect.

In the past several years I think prana has the best pants, specifically the Bronson pants.

I remember years ago J.B. had a pair of those firehose pants. He seemed to always have a painful look on his face and never bent down to pick stuff up....he kinda threw himself on his back then rolled around, grabbed what he needed, then dragged himself over to a tree to pull himself up. Those pants looked real uncomfortable. Or he just learned after the first time you never bend over around Garrett.

years ago I stopped in the orvis store downtown and figured I'd try a pair of mountain khakis on to see what all the rave was. Unfortunately the smallest pair they had were 36" waist and the longest were 32". I guess the market is short fat guys? My mother in law got me a couple pair as a gift. The 34x34's fit terrible, so I gave them away.

I agree with Garrett regarding the fit of the kuhl pants. They fit great and are made for an athletic fit. Imagine that, an outdoor company not marketing to the fat guy looking for the urban fit but want to look like they hang out in the mountains? i think its the Ryder pants, very simple and the canvas is just the right amount of toughness.

Now if im doing physical work that requires minimal repetitious movement and I don't care if they get ruined the carhartt double knee bibs are the only way to go. If you want to get fancy get some sno seal and a hairdryer and go to town on that canvas.
Old 12-28-2014, 11:18 PM

I agree the bibs are the all out most comfortable as long as stretching is not involved.

We have came along way but in the end a good Scottish kilt is probably the best option with a nice man-purse.
Old 12-29-2014, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventyfive View Post

I remember years ago J.B. had a pair of those firehose pants. He seemed to always have a painful look on his face and never bent down to pick stuff up....he kinda threw himself on his back then rolled around, grabbed what he needed, then dragged himself over to a tree to pull himself up. Those pants looked real uncomfortable. Or he just learned after the first time you never bend over around Garrett.
I've found them quite comfortable, actually. That extra room in the crotch is nice. Getting down under the Rover the past couple of days for inspections was enlightening. Someone else has been underneath it recently, so I've been making sure everything is right. These pants are easy to move around in, with plenty of room and no tangling.

I also noticed (and I realize that this is not something most will have tried) that these pants don't require that slight little damage-prevention tug before taking certain stances or kicking. I can just stand there and throw as high a kick as I want, and my nuts aren't crushed, nor is my leg stopped by binding; no tug required.

That's a great illustration of design and overall flexibility. It sounds stupid, but someone else here is bound to be a martial artist. Try these fuckers out, and don't tug. You'll be wary at first, but I assure you, you won't end up in the hospital.

After a few people examined the fabric, they complained that it was too rough, heavy, and thick for their personal tastes.

I like it. As long as I'm hauling a bunch of cotton around everywhere I go, it may as well be thick enough for a bit of protection, and as durable as possible. We'll see how hard it is soon enough. I'm going to find myself some blackberry bushes tangled up with briers and take a walk. That always shows what's what where fabric is concerned.

I'm still not sure how I feel about them, but they do work as advertised. That extra room really is the business.

Cheers,

Kennith

Old 12-29-2014, 01:07 PM
WZ7V

Member Trucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventyfive View Post

If the 'working man' manufacturers added some spandex and gussets they would probably be great for work....but the run of the mill work clothing is almost the price of the lower end technical outdoor stuff. personally I wear carhartt multi pocket scrub bottoms for work. They're great. They are made from ripstop cotton and I've yet to rip them or rip pockets off. I like clothes to fit properly instead of hanging so if they were a little slimmer and had a bit of spandex they would be perfect.

In the past several years I think prana has the best pants, specifically the Bronson pants.

years ago I stopped in the orvis store downtown and figured I'd try a pair of mountain khakis on to see what all the rave was. Unfortunately the smallest pair they had were 36" waist and the longest were 32". I guess the market is short fat guys? My mother in law got me a couple pair as a gift. The 34x34's fit terrible, so I gave them away.

I agree with Garrett regarding the fit of the kuhl pants. They fit great and are made for an athletic fit. Imagine that, an outdoor company not marketing to the fat guy looking for the urban fit but want to look like they hang out in the mountains? i think its the Ryder pants, very simple and the canvas is just the right amount of toughness.
I agree on the Prana pants. I bought some Prana jeans on Zappos a while back and they are great. They have a gusseted crotch. They fit me better than anything else out there. At the other end of the weirdo sizing spectrum, a few years ago I went in to Nordstroms to get some new clothes. I tried on some 34"W jeans. When I pulled them on I was dumfounded. The waist was too big and the ass and legs were super tight, as in painted on tight. What kind of fat waisted, skinny legged people are out there? Is this some new hipster phenomenon?

Getting back to the outdoor companies marketing to fat guys, Mountain Hardware has gone there. I have a 46" chest and wear large shirts and jackets. The MH L jacket fits my shoulders just fine, but the stomach area can be pulled out about 12". Their sizing is purely designed for the fatsos. Arc'teryx actually fits well. Their jackets feel like they were tailored for me.
Old 12-29-2014, 01:51 PM

For 13 years I've worn the same style Dickies knock-off navy blue pants, not jeans. My at-home work pants are whatever old jeans I have laying around. Usually a pair of my "going out" jeans first gets downgraded to "wheeling pants, and then again to "work pants.

I'm guessing you guys buying MK and PRana "work" pants that run $70-90 a pop aren't actually using them for work, but more the idea of all the work you COULD do while wearing them. My ACTUAL work pants get trashed. They're either full or mud or grease or whatever. They get snagged on things and need to be patched. Its not because they're made of parchment paper, but because they are used in real work. Ask a mechanic or someone in the Utilities industry what they wear and it won't be MK or Prana. Those pants are nice pants I'm sure, but IDK how much work actually gets done in them.
The pic on this page pretty much sums it up. http://www.mountainkhakis.com/products/men/pants/

My Carhartt bibs are great. The have lasted a hell of a long time and kept me warm in the coldest of nights. My only complaint is there should be a scuff patch on the inside of the pant legs at the bottom. Their Artic stuff is crazy warm. Great if you're just standing around, but you'll sweat your ass off the second you start moving. I only wear my Arctic Carhartt coat for ice fishing now.
'94 D1 Too good to pass up. OME lift, 265/75/16 BFG AT's, Detroit/TruTrac, etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by discostew View Post
No matter how hard you stir it you won't make chocolate ice cream out of a bucket of shit