DiscoWeb Message Boards

Go Back   DiscoWeb Message Boards > DiscoWeb Technical Boards > Discovery - Technical Discussions

Old 03-01-2015, 12:21 AM

Member Trucks
So, my 99 D1 has the typical seized CDL linkage that D1's get if the CDL is never used. I decided to tackle this job today and the results were pretty poor. Took the console out and hit it with PB blaster for about 4 hours. I couldn't get it to budge at all. I decided to disconnect the shifter from the linkage and pull it out. The shaft was completey seized and I spent an hour just lubing and tapping with a hammer. I can only get the shaft to move with decent force behind the old BFH. Also, the plastic housing that the base of the shifter sits in inside the housing cracked and broke apart.

I'm slowly deciding to just buy a new shifter assembly. I've priced one at $150 on roverlandparts.com but, since I'm new to Rovers I have no clue as to what is the best place to purchase one. Any suggestions?
Old 03-01-2015, 09:55 AM

Member Trucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowfiveo View Post
So, my 99 D1 has the typical seized CDL linkage that D1's get if the CDL is never used. I decided to tackle this job today and the results were pretty poor. Took the console out and hit it with PB blaster for about 4 hours. I couldn't get it to budge at all. I decided to disconnect the shifter from the linkage and pull it out. The shaft was completey seized and I spent an hour just lubing and tapping with a hammer. I can only get the shaft to move with decent force behind the old BFH. Also, the plastic housing that the base of the shifter sits in inside the housing cracked and broke apart.

I'm slowly deciding to just buy a new shifter assembly. I've priced one at $150 on roverlandparts.com but, since I'm new to Rovers I have no clue as to what is the best place to purchase one. Any suggestions?
Not sure what plastic housing your talking about but when I had to free mine. I had to use a large punch and big hammer to start it moving. Then slathered it up with grease and drove it back the other way. Rinse and repeat about 20 times and it was moving freely. You do have to be careful not to break the more fragile bits.

As far as getting a new one. You could try eBay or sometimes people will list them in the for sale section. Unless they have changed much price I would expect to pay $90-$100 shipped for a decent used DI shifter assembly.
Old 03-01-2015, 11:25 AM

Member Trucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
Not sure what plastic housing your talking about but when I had to free mine. I had to use a large punch and big hammer to start it moving. Then slathered it up with grease and drove it back the other way. Rinse and repeat about 20 times and it was moving freely. You do have to be careful not to break the more fragile bits.

As far as getting a new one. You could try eBay or sometimes people will list them in the for sale section. Unless they have changed much price I would expect to pay $90-$100 shipped for a decent used DI shifter assembly.
Thanks for the info!
Here's a couple of pics. The plastic piece worked like a rotator cuff and held the spring loaded ball in place.

Old 03-01-2015, 05:12 PM
Industrial strength dickhead

Member Trucks
Use one of vendor's on this site. Roverover, Willl Tilllery, or Bucknuts imports. Keep it in the community brah.
99 D2 6 link
07 RR HSE LUX
NELRC.COM (If you join you'll feel good inside)
Lucky 8.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRflip
So, even though I've never seen him suck his own dick; if he could it would be tactical as fuck.