DiscoWeb Message Boards

Go Back   DiscoWeb Message Boards > DiscoWeb Technical Boards > Discovery - Technical Discussions

Old 03-16-2018, 07:52 PM

Member Trucks
So. After 3yrs. and 60k the Pertronix module quit. It was in my driveway so that was good but I didn?t have a spare. I order a new module and found that the mounting holes were too small. So I drill them to the appropriate size, added new thermal paste, and slid the old distributor grommet on the wires and made up the new ends. I found that my old coil was working great but had dropped to .80 ohms from 1.3 so I installed a new ignition coil as well. Fired up and all is well. So I ordered a spare module and grommet from Pertronix so I can have it ready to drop in. So my long winded message is to check you module to ensure the holes are the right size before you need it out in the middle of nowhere someday. Also having a custom bent 1/4? wrench is probably a good call as well.
Old 03-16-2018, 08:06 PM
AK6PM
Administrator

Was it a stock coil or aftermarket high-voltage coil?
Old 03-17-2018, 12:19 PM

Member Trucks
The old coil was a stock Bosch unit of unknown age. I did try a Pertronix coil when I installed the new distributor but couldn’t get that coil to work right. The new coil is an Accel 1.5ohm unit. Nothing crazy voltage wise, just a stock equivalent. I think 50k miles might be a bit short for a lifespan but I don’t know how long the stock Rover set up typically lasts. It would not surprise me it the ignition was left on without the car running a time or two which shortens the life of the module. The FlameThrower II has a timer to protect against that but the original unit does not.
Old 03-17-2018, 12:23 PM
AK6PM
Administrator

Stock equivalent should be fine. I had several aftermarket "high-voltage" coils die (and one killing MSD-6A box in process) on my old jeep, and ever since I've been using 12V coils (that is, coils designed to work without a ballast resistor which was a common thing in the past).
Old 03-17-2018, 01:49 PM

Member Trucks
That’s tough. I hate when a inexpensive part takes out expensive parts. I haven’t seen the external resistor on a coil in a while. Man, it was tough to make that set up look pretty, you almost had to hide the resistor somewhere out of sight if you were trying to keep the engine bay neat.
Old 03-22-2018, 01:22 PM

Member Trucks
Sooo. After a week of driving on the new ignition module my wife called to say that she was on the side of the road. I guess you should also change the grounding strap in side the distributor at 50k miles too. It looked in good shape when I was in there but was broken a week later. I now run two straps inside.
Old 03-22-2018, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Runner View Post
Sooo. After a week of driving on the new ignition module my wife called to say that she was on the side of the road. I guess you should also change the grounding strap in side the distributor at 50k miles too. It looked in good shape when I was in there but was broken a week later. I now run two straps inside.
good to know......i guess I should check mine
'00 D2
'03 freelander