DiscoWeb Message Boards

Go Back   DiscoWeb Message Boards > DiscoWeb Non-Technical Boards > General

General General BS

Old 03-27-2018, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGaynor View Post
Let's keep going into the ditch...

I love the feel/utility of santokus

My 7" Santoku (Shun Kaji) is the shit, and pretty much the only knife I use in the kitchen. I have a paring knife and a slicing knife (for cutting thin/long meat) but this is my go to knife. Well, I do have a cheap $15 santoku I use if I'm going around bones/through joints, but that's just to save the blade of the better knife - that Shun is sharp as hell.
I've got the Shun Classic models, myself. They know what they're doing at Kai.

Are they a bit excessive? Yup...

Cheers,

Kennith

Dan Chapman is a coward. I own a magical island.
Old 03-27-2018, 01:06 PM
KN4KFS
I'm still not Senior? WTF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennith View Post
I've got the Shun Classic models, myself. They know what they're doing at Kai.

Are they a bit excessive? Yup...

Cheers,

Kennith
I got a pile of Williams-Sonoma gift certificates when I hit my 10 year work anniversary, and wanted a nice knife, particularly a santoku. Went to W-S and found the Kaji Fell in love...

I remember the first time I used it to cut a watermellon. Using my Henkel took a fair amount of force - with the Shun it was like cutting through soft butter.

I just "sharpened" it with a steel for the first 6 years I had it. I finally sent it in for their (free) professional sharpening; more to clean up a couple of chips - it would still take a finger off with ease. I don't want to mess with the blade beyond using a steel since it's so hard.

I keep toying with buying one of their bread knives (I like the Classic), but I can't get decent bread around here and I'm not into baking...

A $100 for a paring knife is a bit excessive, but this boning/filet knife is nice.

This is damn pretty...might have to (finally) get a chef's knife: https://www.williams-sonoma.com/prod...%7Cshun-hikari

'03 HSE
Go Hokies! - Ut Prosim

Dangerous time when our country is led by those who will lie about anything, backed by those who will believe anything, based on information from media sources that will say anything. Americans must break out of that bubble and seek truth.
Old 03-27-2018, 03:10 PM

Quote:
I got a pile of Williams-Sonoma gift certificates when I hit my 10 year work anniversary, and wanted a nice knife, particularly a santoku. Went to W-S and found the Kaji Fell in love...

I remember the first time I used it to cut a watermellon. Using my Henkel took a fair amount of force - with the Shun it was like cutting through soft butter.

I just "sharpened" it with a steel for the first 6 years I had it. I finally sent it in for their (free) professional sharpening; more to clean up a couple of chips - it would still take a finger off with ease. I don't want to mess with the blade beyond using a steel since it's so hard.

I keep toying with buying one of their bread knives (I like the Classic), but I can't get decent bread around here and I'm not into baking...

A $100 for a paring knife is a bit excessive, but this boning/filet knife is nice.

This is damn pretty...might have to (finally) get a chef's knife: https://www.williams-sonoma.com/prod...%7Cshun-hikari
Yup. Usually all you have to do is align the edge with a steel once and a while, unless you manage to chip it. I got the factory sharpening stone for Christmas a while back, and it's more than sufficient for sharpening and polishing it back to an edge if it's chipped or rolled a bit too much for steeling after a few years.

Obviously it's useless if you don't know what you're doing, but sharpening is more about patience than anything else.

I've got a block set. Their European profiles are just as good as the Japanese profiles, but given that very, very shallow grind, you'll have to get used to them if you've been slinging Wusthof around for years.

Fail to do that, and you'll be visiting the hospital with some amount of regularity; or at least running out of super-glue.

I do have the bread knife, and it's by far one of the most beautifully wicked-looking objects I own. I don't eat much bread anymore, but it's still very useful. To be fair, it's rather silly to put all that design effort into a serrated blade, but if you're in for a penny you may as well be in for a pound, right?

Cheers,

Kennith

Old 03-27-2018, 04:37 PM
KN4KFS

I meant the steel was hard (brittle) not that sharpening is hard...I know how to do that. But I figured sending the thing in for a week or so every few years was easier that dicking around with the stones.

The off-set bread knife, right? Yeah, it is wicked looking. That's why I keep thinking about it.

'03 HSE
Go Hokies! - Ut Prosim

Dangerous time when our country is led by those who will lie about anything, backed by those who will believe anything, based on information from media sources that will say anything. Americans must break out of that bubble and seek truth.
Old 03-27-2018, 05:06 PM
Keyboard Pounder II

Quote:
The off-set bread knife, right? Yeah, it is wicked looking. That's why I keep thinking about it.
Holy CRAP that's a lot a cheddar for a bread knife.
How much is the cheese knife?

Goto le dollar store.
Buy a knife for a dollar.
Use it until it isn't sharp.
Throw away, or give to someone you don't like.
Repeat.

That's 145 dollar store knives.
I'm not certain (at my current age) if that might not be a better deal.
I'd have to start mailing the used knives to people on interweb forums to get rid of them.
I don't know that many 3D people.

Do sharks complain about Monday? No.
They're up early, biting shit, chasing stuff, being scary,
reminding everyone that they are a fucking shark.
Old 03-27-2018, 06:42 PM

For a $200ish for the Calphalon block set I cant complain. Bougt about 5 sets so far for friends and family and these knives just work well. Sure, I could have spent more but these do the job just fine.

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum."
Old 03-27-2018, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim-00-4.6 View Post

Goto le dollar store.
Buy a knife for a dollar.
Use it until it isn't sharp.
Throw away, or give to someone you don't like.
Repeat.

That's 145 dollar store knives.
I'm not certain (at my current age) if that might not be a better deal.
I'd have to start mailing the used knives to people on interweb forums to get rid of them.
I don't know that many 3D people.
Kai stuff is a luxury purchase. You don't have to spend that much. Spend whatever it takes to get something made here or within one of our allied nations, such as Japan. Twenty bucks ought to do it.

A dollar knife only sends the message that you're happy to flush manufacturing down the toilet.

Cheers,

Kennith

Old 03-27-2018, 11:11 PM
KN4KFS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballah06 View Post
For a $200ish for the Calphalon block set I cant complain. Bougt about 5 sets so far for friends and family and these knives just work well. Sure, I could have spent more but these do the job just fine.
I've come to the conclusion it's better to buy a $200 chef knife (or santoku) and a $25 paring knife (like all knives, the money spent is on the steel and that shows up in how well it keeps an edge). After that everything else is what you want - like that bread knife. It's just pretty...

Kind of like pot/pan sets. Buy a good 10" or 12" skillet and a couple of pots, then go from there.

Lessons I learned after my divorce (although the Shun was the first think I took when I left - didn't even ask the ex).

'03 HSE
Go Hokies! - Ut Prosim

Old 03-27-2018, 11:14 PM
KN4KFS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim-00-4.6 View Post
Absolutely true. This would be buying it just because I like it.

But my pocket knife (Benchmade) is $100. Some people like iPads, I like quality knives - they last longer.

'03 HSE
Go Hokies! - Ut Prosim

Old 03-28-2018, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Absolutely true. This would be buying it just because I like it.

But my pocket knife (Benchmade) is $100. Some people like iPads, I like quality knives - they last longer.
True.

As a life-long blade enthusiast, I would never turn my nose up at a laminated bread knife.

That said, I have been known on more than one occasion to bring "serious" blades into the kitchen. Nothing cuts pizza like the Zombie Tools "Bushlicker". Well, nothing this side of a Mezzaluna, anyway. I could never bring myself to drag a Kai blade across cardboard, anyway.

It's not commonly known, but cardboard is quite abusive to blades. Sharp objects don't much like wood, either. The nicest thing you can do for your kitchen knives is to pick up a few HDPE cutting boards, or some of those nice flexible things with the food regulation colors on them.

Now, Japanese edges are hard enough to withstand much more than European edges, but it's still more wear than required. There's all kinds of crap in wood and paper products.

Cheers,

Kennith

Old 03-28-2018, 05:51 AM

Quote:
I've come to the conclusion it's better to buy a $200 chef knife (or santoku) and a $25 paring knife (like all knives, the money spent is on the steel and that shows up in how well it keeps an edge). After that everything else is what you want - like that bread knife. It's just pretty...

Kind of like pot/pan sets. Buy a good 10" or 12" skillet and a couple of pots, then go from there.

Lessons I learned after my divorce (although the Shun was the first think I took when I left - didn't even ask the ex).
Yeah, looking back I'd have to agree. The block sets are convenient but I really dont use 3 quarters of those knives. Also never really been a fan of steak knives. I prefer to use a pairing knife to cut mine.

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum."
Old 03-28-2018, 10:52 AM
Keyboard Pounder II

I have about 3 knives in the kitchen that see regular use.
A paring knife, a chef knife, & a large serrated knife.
The serrated knife is nice for slicing / sawing.
A gentle pull across a tomato, or sawing through a watermelon comes to mind.
The big knife for chopping stuff, or slicing flesh.
The paring knife for stemming kale, or peeling a garlic clove type of tasks.
I have those plastic-y cutting boards, primarily because I don't want chicken sauce soaking into my cutting board and flavoring the next thing I cut.

On a barely-related but still cooking so to hell with OP note, I just got an Instant Pot.
I'm fond of it.

Do sharks complain about Monday? No.
They're up early, biting shit, chasing stuff, being scary,
reminding everyone that they are a fucking shark.