DiscoWeb Message Boards
 

Go Back   DiscoWeb Message Boards > DiscoWeb Technical Boards > Discovery - Technical Discussions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-09-2018, 07:53 PM
Steve M Steve M is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 85
Got a fabricator that can make anything I want.
Thinking about either a SD style rack and remove the carrybars,
Or a half rack and keep them.

Have a height limitation of 6' 8" fwiw.
Any pics of your racks for inspiration?

Thx
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-09-2018, 08:03 PM
fishEH's Avatar
fishEH fishEH is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Lake Villa, IL
Posts: 6,182
Really depends what you plan on using the rack for. Roof top tent? Fuel cans? Posing?
__________________
'98 D1 Trail Rig. Lockers and whatnot. Retired
'96 D1 Daily Driver. OME lift, 235/85/16 Toyo AT's.
'95 D1 Project Truck.
'94 D1 Too good to pass up. OME lift, 265/75/16 BFG AT's, Detroit/TruTrac, etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by discostew View Post
No matter how hard you stir it you won't make chocolate ice cream out of a bucket of shit
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-09-2018, 09:11 PM
Steve M Steve M is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 85
Mostly posing
I reckon I'll be able to take my son camping twice a year.
Our low garage height prohibits any long term stacking of kit.

Always wanted a rack, and had a full length ARB on it circa 2002?
And was able to keep it outside, but now that's changed.

Leaning towards a flat half rack with a mesh floor and removable
sides at the moment
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-10-2018, 09:42 AM
AfiRover's Avatar
AfiRover AfiRover is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: RACE CITY INDY IN
Posts: 907
hell just build a light bar
__________________
IF YOU ARE GOING THROUGH HELL KEEP GOING ( W CHURCHILL )
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-10-2018, 10:57 AM
1920SF's Avatar
1920SF 1920SF is offline
KK4DPX
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NoVA
Posts: 2,705
Member Trucks
Half rack with mesh, wouldn't worry about the sides-just put down tie downs or s track and then get a cargo net if you are throwing soft stuff up there that needs to be contained.


Could be nice and low profile.
__________________
2006 LR3
1996 Disco 5-speed
1954 Series 1 86"
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-10-2018, 11:55 AM
fishEH's Avatar
fishEH fishEH is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Lake Villa, IL
Posts: 6,182
You still haven't said what you plan on using it for now. You should probably figure that out then build a rack that works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M View Post
Mostly posing
I reckon I'll be able to take my son camping twice a year.
Our low garage height prohibits any long term stacking of kit.

Always wanted a rack, and had a full length ARB on it circa 2002?
And was able to keep it outside, but now that's changed.

Leaning towards a flat half rack with a mesh floor and removable
sides at the moment
__________________
'98 D1 Trail Rig. Lockers and whatnot. Retired
'96 D1 Daily Driver. OME lift, 235/85/16 Toyo AT's.
'95 D1 Project Truck.
'94 D1 Too good to pass up. OME lift, 265/75/16 BFG AT's, Detroit/TruTrac, etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by discostew View Post
No matter how hard you stir it you won't make chocolate ice cream out of a bucket of shit
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-10-2018, 07:17 PM
Steve M Steve M is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 85
Good point. I'm going to measure what would actually live up there
And design from there.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-10-2018, 10:09 PM
Blue's Avatar
Blue Blue is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: AZ
Posts: 8,354
Member Trucks
Copy the simple KVT Backpack Rack. Basically the rear half (or less than half) of the SD rack without sides. I barely notice it up on my roof and it's very convenient to throw Pelicans or whatever up there and just strap it down. You don't really need the sides at all. What are the sides really for? As if you're going to just loosely throw shit up there and hope the sides keep it from falling off as you drive? And I had a genuine SD low-profile rack on my D1....I know what I'm talking about.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1873.jpg (188.9 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1872.jpg (203.2 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0351.jpg (197.5 KB, 56 views)
__________________
Blue
2004 D2
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-11-2018, 10:53 AM
Steve M Steve M is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue View Post
Copy the simple KVT Backpack Rack. Basically the rear half (or less than half) of the SD rack without sides. I barely notice it up on my roof and it's very convenient to throw Pelicans or whatever up there and just strap it down. You don't really need the sides at all. What are the sides really for? As if you're going to just loosely throw shit up there and hope the sides keep it from falling off as you drive? And I had a genuine SD low-profile rack on my D1....I know what I'm talking about.
Ah the back pack rack!!
I remember those.
I think we have a winner
Thx Blue
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-11-2018, 06:23 PM
jymmiejamz's Avatar
jymmiejamz jymmiejamz is offline
KN4JHI
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Los Angeles, Ca
Posts: 5,281
Just go ahead and send Kyle a deposit and he'll get started on it for you.
__________________
@carcampingcollective
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-11-2018, 06:38 PM
fjcardenas's Avatar
fjcardenas fjcardenas is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
Posts: 136
Member Trucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by jymmiejamz View Post
Just go ahead and send Kyle a deposit and he'll get started on it for you.
^^^^^^
Thumbs up emoji
__________________
2004 Disco II, 4" RTE , Bilstein 7100s, 315/75-16 Duratracs, RTE Bumpers, GBR 4.11s, SG sliders, Baja Rack

1996 Disco I, Stock except for Yakima rack and Giraffe print headliner

1996 Disco 1, Willow Green, some shiny bits, lots of rusty bits
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-14-2018, 08:43 PM
kennith kennith is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 9,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M View Post
Got a fabricator that can make anything I want.
Thinking about either a SD style rack and remove the carrybars,
Or a half rack and keep them.

Have a height limitation of 6' 8" fwiw.
Any pics of your racks for inspiration?

Thx
I believe my DII is sitting at 7 feet 8 inches or thereabouts with the SD high rack and the OME springs. Not sure about the taller ones. I can't check right now, though. Regardless, it's not going to fit under that limit you described.

Racks are so much more than posing. Put a floor on one, and your vehicle will be able to hold a much more cool interior with a lot less effort than otherwise. You'll feel like you have a real air conditioner for once.

That is the ONLY reason I keep that rack on all the time around town and such. When I take the vehicle out, I'll commonly remove it just to get that weight off the roof. So, there's actually a very useful reason to have the rack, and that's comfort.

As such, I would suggest trying for a full length rack. You won't regret it at all if you give it a floor.

Cheers,

Kennith
__________________
Life is too serious to be taken seriously.

I own a magical island.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DII roof racks on a DI fishEH Discovery - Technical Discussions 9 04-03-2009 09:16 PM
Roof Racks... c0smo kram3r Discovery - Technical Discussions 16 03-09-2009 12:30 AM
roof racks corrumpu Discovery - Technical Discussions 12 11-24-2007 04:25 PM
Dap Roof Racks EASTTNROVER Series - Technical Discussions 11 09-16-2007 02:21 PM
Roof Racks for RRC az_max Range Rover - Technical Discussions 26 02-16-2006 11:39 AM

» Log in
User Name Not a member yet?
Register Now!
Password
» Today's Birthdays
F18Guy (49)
Discrover (49)
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 2000 - 2015, DiscoWeb.org. All rights reserved.

Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.