DiscoWeb Message Boards

Go Back   DiscoWeb Message Boards > DiscoWeb Non-Technical Boards > General

General General BS

Old 10-15-2018, 01:26 PM

Hey all knowing dwebbers. Just figured i would ask this question since some of you are way more tech inclined than I. Looking for a soundbar with built in sub or all inclusive for a Vizio TV. Nothing crazy; would like to keep it under 150. Any recommendations? Bluetooth/wired, multiple speakers? Thanks in advance.

P.S. Not looking for a super tech approach but rather smth that sounds better than TV speakers and has more depth to it.

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum."
Old 10-15-2018, 01:31 PM
KN4PCA

Member Trucks
The Vizio sound bars are good bang-for-buck. I have one that connects wirelessley to a sub that powers itself and two rear satellites. Keeps wire clutter down a bit. I think it was closer to $250 though.
2000 Discovery 2 - CDL/3" lift/Detroit - sold
2006 Tundra Limited - sold, and sorely missed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog01 View Post
HOLY SHIT!!!! You guys are crazy!!!! What's next? Salt malts served through a meat straw?????
Old 10-15-2018, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximumwarp View Post
The Vizio sound bars are good bang-for-buck. I have one that connects wirelessley to a sub that powers itself and two rear satellites. Keeps wire clutter down a bit. I think it was closer to $250 though.
Right on, ty. I got a Vizio tv so t should work i suppose.

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum."
Old 10-15-2018, 05:13 PM
KN4PCA

Member Trucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballah06 View Post
Right on, ty. I got a Vizio tv so t should work i suppose.
It ought to work well regardless of TV type. I connected it via optical cable.
2000 Discovery 2 - CDL/3" lift/Detroit - sold
2006 Tundra Limited - sold, and sorely missed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog01 View Post
HOLY SHIT!!!! You guys are crazy!!!! What's next? Salt malts served through a meat straw?????
Old 10-15-2018, 08:12 PM

I have not heard a soundbar that sounded all that great personally. Easy and clean installation, but I prefer a traditional speaker setup.

1967 IIa.
00 DII.
Old 10-15-2018, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukoffroad View Post
I have not heard a soundbar that sounded all that great personally. Easy and clean installation, but I prefer a traditional speaker setup.
While they're nothing like the systems I enjoy, I have indeed heard one that got the point across.

Now, I hate Bose as much as the next theater enthusiast, but there's one thing they do well, and that's tiny drivers. I just wish they'd stop trying to convince people that "waveguides" are anything new. They've been around since the dawn of the loudspeaker.

I installed one for a person last year, and was pretty amazed at the performance.

For most people, it would be a stellar experience, and for all the majesty of my own system, I wouldn't have turned my nose up at the Bose unit in a smaller room. It was fucking surprising as hell. They put a lot of thought into the parameters of those enclosures.

Klipsch is cranking them out, as well. While I haven't heard one, Klipsch knows their shit. I wouldn't be surprised if it was better, but I doubt it's as clever. Yamaha makes a good one from what I understand, but I've never heard it.

I'm kind of annoyed with them, though, as a result of their trying to convince the world that a fifth foot on a receiver is anything more than a better way to distribute all that weight.

Cheers,

Kennith

Dan Chapman is a coward. I own a magical island.
Old 10-15-2018, 09:48 PM

I'd provide an actual answer to the original question, but I genuinely have nothing good to say about a sound bar in that price range, or Vizio in general.

My suggestion would be to hit Ebay or Craigslist and buy an older unit that's better; or hit up Massdrop for a great deal on something new. There, the more people commit to a purchase, the cheaper the item becomes.

They've got some good stuff up there, too.

If you're happy with Vizio, though, run with it. I can't stand it, and I wish they didn't flood every store, but if that's your price range, that's your price range. In the end, if you're not into home theater, it's still better than what's in the television... Most of the time.

You can never tell with Vizio, as it's all leftovers from different manufacturers slapped together in unused production space. Sometimes you get some serious shit in there.

I know I had one with a processor out of what appeared to be a genuine Sony television. It didn't do a damned thing, but all the options for supreme calibration were present; simply non-functional.

Don't know how they came across it, as Sony is very picky about their real shit, but it was in there.

Cheers,

Kennith

Dan Chapman is a coward. I own a magical island.
Old 10-16-2018, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximumwarp View Post
It ought to work well regardless of TV type. I connected it via optical cable.
For sure. I know all those are made to work reagardless of the tv brand.

Old 10-16-2018, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennith View Post
I'd provide an actual answer to the original question, but I genuinely have nothing good to say about a sound bar in that price range, or Vizio in general.

My suggestion would be to hit Ebay or Craigslist and buy an older unit that's better; or hit up Massdrop for a great deal on something new. There, the more people commit to a purchase, the cheaper the item becomes.

They've got some good stuff up there, too.

If you're happy with Vizio, though, run with it. I can't stand it, and I wish they didn't flood every store, but if that's your price range, that's your price range. In the end, if you're not into home theater, it's still better than what's in the television... Most of the time.

You can never tell with Vizio, as it's all leftovers from different manufacturers slapped together in unused production space. Sometimes you get some serious shit in there.

I know I had one with a processor out of what appeared to be a genuine Sony television. It didn't do a damned thing, but all the options for supreme calibration were present; simply non-functional.

Don't know how they came across it, as Sony is very picky about their real shit, but it was in there.

Cheers,

Kennith
Thanks for the insight. Just looking around now, may very well go with a traditional speaker setup; just thought the soundbar could bridge the gap a bit. I was def surprised by the Marshall speaker i heard in Best Buy; very good sound imo.

Old 10-16-2018, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukoffroad View Post
I have had definitive. Something caused first on to brick after about 6 years. Out of warranty.

Definitive replaced no cost. I have W Studio now way over small budget posted here.

I hang mine via the vesa tv mount so large ones like the martin logan won't cut it, but sound better.

If I only had a few hun. I would go yamaha I think.

I only use a sound bar in one TV due to space.
Old 10-16-2018, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri View Post
I have had definitive. Something caused first on to brick after about 6 years. Out of warranty.

Definitive replaced no cost. I have W Studio now way over small budget posted here.

I hang mine via the vesa tv mount so large ones like the martin logan won't cut it, but sound better.

If I only had a few hun. I would go yamaha I think.

I only use a sound bar in one TV due to space.
We dont watch tv that much, hence the sound bar idea. I do like the portable Bose dock when doing stuff outside. Use it more than the tv.

Old 11-12-2018, 04:49 AM
Still Junior

I have a Yamaha YAS-108. It is a good soundbar for the price. I paid around $170.