DiscoWeb Message Boards

Go Back   DiscoWeb Message Boards > DiscoWeb Technical Boards > LR4/LR3 - Technical Discussions

Old 07-23-2018, 09:37 AM

Our front air bags are leaking and need replacing. I have found so many different brands and many different prices..can anyone recommend a specific one? I personally want to get rid of the whole system but wife likes the ride
Old 07-23-2018, 10:46 AM
RoverGuy

I have a set of new Genuine Ones in stock. Will cut you a deal and the wife will remain happy. (At least with the LR)

roverguy.com
Old 07-23-2018, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgdisco2 View Post
Our front air bags are leaking and need replacing. I have found so many different brands and many different prices..can anyone recommend a specific one? I personally want to get rid of the whole system but wife likes the ride
The corner valve is more likely your problem. They leak back to the reservoir
Old 07-24-2018, 09:40 AM

Is there a test or something I could do to tell? I may just try it anyway as it?s a lot cheaper.
When the truck is turned off there?s a hissing sound on the right front but both front bags go down.

Last edited by jgdisco2; 07-24-2018 at 10:00 AM.
Old 07-24-2018, 10:17 AM

Yes. Pull back the front of the right front wheel house panel. You should be able to locate the corner valve attached to the backside of the fry bumper bar. Lift upward on the valve to slide its mounting bushings out of its 3 holes.

Now with a good pair of hose clamping pliers. The kind used to close off a brake hose when you take a caliper off. You should be able to figure out what hose is feeding the valve from the reservoir. Clamp it off and wait the amount of time it usually takes to sink.

Another thing that helps is to put the truck in off road height and disconnect the battery. Then you will get a much better idea if one corner is leaking down because the car won't wake up and try to level itself.
Old 08-03-2018, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by discostew View Post
Yes. Pull back the front of the right front wheel house panel. You should be able to locate the corner valve attached to the backside of the fry bumper bar. Lift upward on the valve to slide its mounting bushings out of its 3 holes.

Now with a good pair of hose clamping pliers. The kind used to close off a brake hose when you take a caliper off. You should be able to figure out what hose is feeding the valve from the reservoir. Clamp it off and wait the amount of time it usually takes to sink.

Another thing that helps is to put the truck in off road height and disconnect the battery. Then you will get a much better idea if one corner is leaking down because the car won't wake up and try to level itself.

I would not try to clamp those lines. They are not very flexible especially if old. Besides, for air you'd have to really smash the shit out of one to stop a hissing sound. Then, I think you'd definitely end up with a permanent hissing sound....

Anyway, it is unlikely both strut supply lines are leaking at the valve block so I'd first try to make sure the other fitting isn't loose at all. Some of those are 12mm but a proper line wrench barely fits where the two are side by side. I use a line to start or finish and a stubby open end for the rest.

FYI- I have removed and installed all 4 of mine a few times now as well as rerouted some lines and relocated the front valve block higher in the bumper but I am not an expert mechanic so maybe it's no big deal to clamp these lines.
(notable LR3 mods:
34" KM2, dual battery, 2nd fuel tank, LLAMS EAS tool for on the fly -/+ )
Old 08-03-2018, 10:39 PM

It's no big deal to clamp those lines. I've been doing it for years. Make that decades.
Old 08-11-2018, 11:29 PM
KN4JHI

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwest View Post
I would not try to clamp those lines. They are not very flexible especially if old. Besides, for air you'd have to really smash the shit out of one to stop a hissing sound. Then, I think you'd definitely end up with a permanent hissing sound....
I'm sure eventually they will get brittle, but I haven't encountered that yet. They aren't like DII plastic coolant lines that break when looked at from a distance. If you clamp them off, worst case you will end up with a slight crease in the line. I don't think I've seen more than one or two front springs leaking on LR3 (seen a bunch on RRS). I would go with the valve block if there is a front suspension leak. Ideally you should verify that it is both front springs leaking down.
Old 08-12-2018, 05:35 PM

Verified it’s both fronts leaking with suspension fault light. Ordered a genuine valve block, will be here sometime this week.
Old 08-17-2018, 04:42 PM

Replaced the valve block, it's not leaking like it was but I got about 2 miles down the road and I'm still getting the amber suspension fault. Do I need to reset the system? If so how do I accomplish that? I don't have the IID tool.
Old 08-17-2018, 10:18 PM
KN4JHI

You need to see what the faults are. You probably have a bad compressor as well which will log a C1A20-64 fault in the ride level control module.
Old 08-18-2018, 07:49 PM

Do you get a message that says "normal height only" ?
Old 08-18-2018, 07:53 PM

No, the message just says suspension fault with the amber icon on the dash.