DiscoWeb Message Boards

Go Back   DiscoWeb Message Boards > DiscoWeb Non-Technical Boards > Politics

Politics Political BS

View Poll Results: How much did Russian meddling affect your vote?
My vote was severely impacted by Russian meddling. 5 15.63%
Russian meddling moderately affected my vote. 0 0%
My vote was unswayed by said meddling. 23 71.88%
I am uncertain to what extend my vote was meddled with. 4 12.50%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-08-2018, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGaynor View Post
PS. Help me with the math - explain what the "one and one" are and how they add up.

(Don't worry, I'll wait.)
Watch the Bream interview tonight with Jeff Sessions Scott. We'll talk tomorrow.
Quote:
Brian was right!
Old 03-08-2018, 02:01 PM
KN4KFS

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian4d View Post
Watch the Bream interview tonight with Jeff Sessions Scott. We'll talk tomorrow.
I don't want to hear Fox News' spin on things.

Your a big boy - use your own words.

Aside: You know already what is going to be discussed tonight? What Sessions is going to say? You have that kind of in?

I'm impressed...

'03 HSE
Go Hokies! - Ut Prosim

Dangerous time when our country is led by those who will lie about anything, backed by those who will believe anything, based on information from media sources that will say anything. Americans must break out of that bubble and seek truth.
Old 03-08-2018, 02:04 PM

Quote:
I don't want to hear Fox News' spin on things.

Your a big boy - use your own words.

Aside: You know already what is going to be discussed tonight? What Sessions is going to say? You have that kind of in?

I'm impressed...
No, the interview is online, simply use google, that's what 'big boys' do Scott.

It's an interview, how much spin can their be? Scared of what Sessions may allude to?
Quote:
Brian was right!
Old 03-08-2018, 02:13 PM

You guys sure are putting a lot of faith into a drunk wanna be in a London bar, talking with the largest International Clinton donor (25 MIL), making it's way into a Dossier that was funded by the Clinton Campaign and used for a FISA warrant for the FBI to investigate further when according to Comey President Trump was not being investigated in the first place. I could go on about all the little details but will do that later.

Sneaky Pete FBI agent (whopper text messages)
Ohr DOJ attorney wife working for Fusion GPS

What did I miss? The OIG is prob. have a FIELD DAY with this shit. Can't wait!
Quote:
Brian was right!
Old 03-08-2018, 02:19 PM

Here you go Scott, I'll help.

https://youtu.be/xNfwt2lJIuk?t=1538
Quote:
Brian was right!
Old 03-08-2018, 04:57 PM
KK4DPX

Member Trucks
I'm sure that Seychelles meeting facilitated by the UAE with Betsy Devos's brother (and Xtreme badass) Erik Prince is like everything else (that has actually resulted in real indictments-despite all the failure to acknowledge people have admitted to federal crimes, already)...it won't amount to much. This is almost over, just like it was almost over six months ago.

Nothing to worry about, right?
Old 03-08-2018, 05:49 PM
KN4KFS

Quote:
Here you go Scott, I'll help.

https://youtu.be/xNfwt2lJIuk?t=1538
Hmm...Sessions said about a second special counsel, he would consider it, take it under advisement.

Hint: That's politician-speak for, "I'm not going to do shit."

Oh, and he said that there are new people in place since the first FISA was issued, so no need to investigate them. (Hmmm...who said that earlier?)

So, your turn (again): Why do you think it is necessary?

'03 HSE
Go Hokies! - Ut Prosim

Dangerous time when our country is led by those who will lie about anything, backed by those who will believe anything, based on information from media sources that will say anything. Americans must break out of that bubble and seek truth.
Old 03-08-2018, 05:51 PM
KN4KFS

Quote:
You guys sure are putting a lot of faith into a drunk wanna be in a London bar, t
My faith is in Mueller figuring out the what, when, where, and who broke laws.

If he says there's nothing there, then there's nothing there. But it sure doesn't sound like it.

'03 HSE
Go Hokies! - Ut Prosim

Old 03-08-2018, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Hmm...Sessions said about a second special counsel, he would consider it, take it under advisement.

Hint: That's politician-speak for, "I'm not going to do shit."

Oh, and he said that there are new people in place since the first FISA was issued, so no need to investigate them. (Hmmm...who said that earlier?)

So, your turn (again): Why do you think it is necessary?
Nope, he said he already out an outside independent source looking into it. What the ears want to hear....

Wonder what that's all about?
Quote:
Brian was right!
Old 03-08-2018, 05:55 PM
KN4KFS

Quote:
Nope, he said he already out an outside independent source looking into it. What the ears want to hear....

Wonder what that's all about?
Far, far cry from a special counsel.

It could just be a US attorney in LA.

'03 HSE
Go Hokies! - Ut Prosim

Old 03-08-2018, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Far, far cry from a special counsel.

It could just be a US attorney in LA.
LOL, Special counsels don't have to be announced Scott. Not saying there is one but whatever it is I'd bet it's a bit larger than a US Attorney in LA. After everything that's gone on with the DNC/Emails/contents of Emails and the Clinton Foundation does everyone just think it's going to come and go? That there wasn't more to that story? No huge laws were broken? That it's just going away because HRC lost? Whew. Putting one and one together.

There was indeed collusion. Who dun it?
Quote:
Brian was right!
Old 03-08-2018, 06:29 PM
KN4KFS

Quote:
LOL, Special counsels don't have to be announced Scott. Not saying there is one but whatever it is I'd bet it's a bit larger than a US Attorney in LA. After everything that's gone on with the DNC/Emails/contents of Emails and the Clinton Foundation does everyone just think it's going to come and go? That there wasn't more to that story? No huge laws were broken? That it's just going away because HRC lost? Whew. Putting one and one together.

There was indeed collusion. Who dun it?
You still haven't said why a special prosecutor is needed to investigate those things. Why can't the DOJ do it?

So it's a secret special counsel, now is it?

And, yes, they do need to be announced:
? 600.9 Notification and reports by the Attorney General.
(a) The Attorney General will notify the Chairman and Ranking Minority Member of the Judiciary Committees of each House of Congress, with an explanation for each action -

(1) Upon appointing a Special Counsel;

'03 HSE
Go Hokies! - Ut Prosim

Old 03-08-2018, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1920SF View Post
I'm sure that Seychelles meeting facilitated by the UAE with Betsy Devos's brother (and Xtreme badass) Erik Prince is like everything else (that has actually resulted in real indictments-despite all the failure to acknowledge people have admitted to federal crimes, already)...it won't amount to much. This is almost over, just like it was almost over six months ago.

Nothing to worry about, right?
Starting to sound like #fakenews.
Old 03-08-2018, 11:13 PM
KN4KFS

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Chapman View Post
It's all fake news until people plead guilty (and go to prison).

'03 HSE
Go Hokies! - Ut Prosim

Old 03-09-2018, 09:22 AM

The funny part is this. The media reports on special Russian meetings to just to jack ratings with a Trump Bump. Hate to tell everyone but special Russian meetings and special meetings with many other countries have been happening a long, long time. I want to see proven laws that were broken in these 'meetings'. But first, I'd like proof the meeting took place to begin with. Kinda like the Clinton/Lynch Tarmac hop meeting. Proof. Let's start there.
Quote:
Brian was right!
Old 03-09-2018, 10:30 AM
KK4DPX

Member Trucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Chapman View Post
Well, it was on twitter-so it could be fake news.

Or it could be something that folks have acknowledged took place (to get to the gaslighting 'I want to see proof that the meeting even happened' commentary).

But nothing criminal has taken place.

Other than all the things that people have already plead to.
..and maybe some of what is charged-pending due process, of course.

So this is almost over.
Old 03-09-2018, 10:49 AM

So the dirt bag tax evader Paul Manafort is the tippy top of the iceburg for much more Treasonous Activity within the Trump administration.

What a joke.
Quote:
Brian was right!
Old 03-09-2018, 11:03 AM
KK4DPX

Member Trucks
Treason is a crime defined in the Constitution-people shouldn't throw it around lightly, as it has a specific meaning...there's a lesson there for those that learn via twitter.

All the best people though, that's def what we got...
Old 03-12-2018, 09:53 PM
KN4KFS

On the day Britian calls out Russia, the House GOP says Russia didn't do anything during the 2016 election (directly contradicting out intelligence services).

What the fuck happened to the GOP? Since when was is Republican policy to ignore Russian agression?

Reagan must be spinning in his grave. And Buckley, and Ike, and every other cold war warrior of the last 70 yrs

'03 HSE
Go Hokies! - Ut Prosim

Old 03-19-2018, 10:25 AM
KN4KFS

This past week I spent a lot of time driving - took the kids to NY/NJ to see family/NYC - so I was listening to Dan Carlin's Hardcore History podcast on WWI (Blueprint for Armageddon, it's 6 parts, each at least 3 hours long). Very worthwhile.

At one point, he was talking about how the Germans decided that using the U-boats to attack ALL shipping to Britain/France from the US (unrestricted submarine warfare) was the advent of total war - that the people behind the front lines were legitimate targets because they supported (through farming/food, munitions, etc.) the people at the front. The goal, on both sides (the British had already blockaded Germany, and those people were starving) was to put enough suffering on the people (including war casualties) that their society would collapse and they would have to sue for peace. Which is precisely what happened with Russia. Both sides thought each other was close to collapse, and they all were.

He also talks extensively about how the generals were still in a 19th century mentality at the beginning in how to fight the war, but that in the later stages the new, 20th century mentality of total war took hold. Essentially, this was the pivot to an entirely new form of warfare that everyone was unprepared for.

Other things he talked about was how the new technology of U-boats and underwater mines made the British basically keep their Super Dreadnoughts in port vs attacking close to the enemy's ports, and the Germans keeping theirs in port for fear of losing theirs to the superior British Navy. Basically, they had these fantastic weapons platforms that were rendered useless by newer technology, that cost significantly less.

That got me thinking about our current state of affairs with cyber attacks (from Russia, but also China, NK).

What if the US society could be brought to it knees by cyber warfare vs conventional warfare? What if Russia, China, etc. could cause our society to collapse, and THEN walk in with troops? vs start a war with conventional troops and bolster the attacks with cyber? Could they render our military might useless without even "firing a shot?"

Are we at the beginning of a new type of warfare? Is the US prepared?

I'm sure I'm not the first person to think of this (some war college has probably already gamed it out many times), but it was frightening to think of how vulnerable to cyber attack the West is. China and Russia (definitely not NK) are probably not as interconnected as we are as a society and dependent on computers for everyday operations. How fragile is society today if we lost power for weeks? Gasoline and other basics? Food? I've always believed that modern society is held together by the thinnest of threads - that most people would not know how to survive without modern conveniences - take those away and people will revert to the time of the savages: "I'll take what I want, and don't care about who I have to kill to get it."

All the more reason why we need to understand what Russia has done, and continues to do, versus calling it "fake news" and keeping our heads in the sand.

'03 HSE
Go Hokies! - Ut Prosim

Old 03-19-2018, 12:07 PM

What happens when Russian bear pokes someone it shouldn't have.

Dair Ezzor Russian Turkey Shoot.
(Prose by John Ringo and with luck mostly true)

1. Sov... err... Russians built a bridge over the Euphrates which was the designated 'deconfliction line'. Why? Reasons. 'Committee of Nations' or something.

2. 'Hybrid' force of mixed Russian contractors including multiple non-ethnic Russians (Serbs, Cossack, other non Slavics) as well as local Syrian Army 'commandos' attacked across temporary bridge. The 'Russian' side were 'Blackwater' equivalent mercenaries from a company generally called 'Wagner' which is the nom de plume of the boss. (Like if you called Blackwater 'Prince'.)

3. Unit was partially mechanized, battalion strength. (One thing everyone agrees upon is 'about 600-700 personnel.') Had some towed artillery as well as 't-55 and T-72 MBT as well as armored personnel carriers.' (Type unknown.) Full on 'we're taking that position and you're not stopping us' full court press.

4. Unit crossed bridge, arty deployed.

5. Arty opened fire while most of unit was still in approach column formation. (Normal) One portion moved to flanking positions.

5A. Minute the arty opened fire SHIT GOT REAL REAL QUICK.

6. Reapers took out artillery and most of armor with Hellfire. From the few videos, pretty much before they knew what hit them. There had to be quite a few Reaper drones up or they were feeding guidance to Hellfire from Apaches (see below.)

7. F-15E Eagles came in for clean-up and to check for anti-air defenses.

8. Warthogs showed up just to go BRRRRRRT!

9. AC-130 Spectre started fucking up their day for the hell of it.

10. To add insult to injury, B-52s which, you know, just HAPPENED to be in the area, just minding our own business, just passing by from Diego Garcia which is a few thousand miles away, on our way to... somewhere... nothing to see here... decided to prove they could drop their entire load as precision guided weapons and just more or less DID A JDAM ARCLIGHT ON THEIR ASS. At that point, more or less because CENTCOM said 'Why not? ARCLIGHT is always pretty to watch...'

11. The whole thing being so over it was ridiculous, AH-64 Apaches basically did 'hostile Bomb Damage Assessment' and complained there were no targets left.

12. Oh, and then the Kurds, to just really FUCK with these guys, released water from a dam upstream and broke their bridge. So they had to ford back with their wounded.

13. Nobody knows how many dead and wounded. Russians are saying 'only 8 Russian citizens' but that doesn't quite cover the whole of who may have been involved. One repeated number is 200 dead (remember, mixed Syrians, Russians and other ethnics) as well as pretty much the rest of the force wounded. (Not to mention pretty thoroughly demoralized.) One Kurd wounded. Probably fell off a stool laughing to tell truth.

14. Military hospitals in Russia are reliably reported 'overflowing.'

This was much less a 'battle' than a message. Towards the end we had to just be pounding ground to make sure they got it.

Messages, really.

A. Don't fucking cross that river.
B. Hey, North Korea! LOOK WHAT I CAN DO!
C. Hey, Putin, about Donbas... This is what we can do to your 'freedom fighters' (AKA: mercenaries) at any time.
D. To everyone in general: You need to remember who's boss.
Mattis is playing dumb. 'What Russians? There were Russians? Really? I'm seeing that in the media but I got no briefing on there being Russians in that column. Our bad. Sorry about that.'

Then there's the fact that the strike was NOT approved by the President.

Because he gave CENTOM the approval on things like that.

And CENTCOM handled it like a BOSS.

Oh, and when the forces crossed the river the Russians were informed and informed that we intended to take 'self-defense' actions.

So they can't even say they weren't warned.

I'm not sure we warned them we'd be using BUFF.

This is more the sort of thing I'd expect in late summer.

'Shit! We haven't expended our budget! Are there any Russians we can fuck up very badly with all these unexpended munitions?'

Last thought: It had to be shitty being on the receiving end of that.
Old 03-19-2018, 02:39 PM
KN4KFS

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimebakmybulits View Post
Then there's the fact that the strike was NOT approved by the President.

Because he gave CENTOM the approval on things like that.

And CENTCOM handled it like a BOSS.
While I'm glad we gave the Russians the what-for, this is the kind of stuff that scares me.

The military has the authority to conduct strikes/attacks on other nation's (particularly those with nukes) forces without approval from civilian authorities (read: the President)? That should send chills down the spine of everyone.

What if the general in NK decides it's a good idea to fire some arty at the NKs just to "send a message" and NK responds in kind - on Seoul?

'03 HSE
Go Hokies! - Ut Prosim

Old 03-19-2018, 02:55 PM

Quote:
While I'm glad we gave the Russians the what-for, this is the kind of stuff that scares me.

The military has the authority to conduct strikes/attacks on other nation's (particularly those with nukes) forces without approval from civilian authorities (read: the President)? That should send chills down the spine of everyone.

What if the general in NK decides it's a good idea to fire some arty at the NKs just to "send a message" and NK responds in kind - on Seoul?
You are reading WAY too much into that. ROE under any past admin probably would have been the same. BTW, remember this was not an attack by us just the response to that attack.
Old 03-19-2018, 03:19 PM
KN4KFS

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimebakmybulits View Post
You are reading WAY too much into that. ROE under any past admin probably would have been the same. BTW, remember this was not an attack by us just the response to that attack.
Gotcha.

'03 HSE
Go Hokies! - Ut Prosim

Old 03-20-2018, 12:29 PM
KN4KFS

Wow. We might actually get to see a (redacted, no doubt) FISA application.

The Justice Department Tries to Hammer Out What to Reveal from Carter Page's Surveillance Orders

USA Today and the James Madison Project has gone to court to try to force release of documents the feds used when they sought the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance (FISA) Court's permission to wiretap Page. The Department of Justice's lawyers have asked a federal judge to give them until July to figure out what to make public. Today a judge approved the request.

'03 HSE
Go Hokies! - Ut Prosim