DiscoWeb Message Boards

Go Back   DiscoWeb Message Boards > DiscoWeb Technical Boards > Discovery - Technical Discussions

Old 03-12-2018, 11:47 AM
Almost There...

Laughing a bit as I also ended up testing the tire pressure, 40psi. Merely 25% more than spec. I'm going to deflate and take it for a drive, see if this helps to contain the overzealous steering. Kudos to AbnMike on calling out what may be the obvious issue...it was certainly an issue in general, the tires were nearly square sided they were so full.
Old 03-12-2018, 11:50 AM

Member Trucks
Believe that’d be a 3” kit. You may be able to crawl underneath and look for part numbers on the springs
Old 03-12-2018, 03:03 PM
Almost There...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradartigue View Post
Laughing a bit as I also ended up testing the tire pressure, 40psi. Merely 25% more than spec. I'm going to deflate and take it for a drive, see if this helps to contain the overzealous steering. Kudos to AbnMike on calling out what may be the obvious issue...it was certainly an issue in general, the tires were nearly square sided they were so full.
Tire pressure certainly helped - it can now steer without feeling crazy. Still not great though, and with the driveshaft vibration thinking the lowering is next.
Old 03-15-2018, 01:48 PM
Almost There...

Settled on a OME shock and spring set to replace the Terra Firma. I'll report back.
Old 03-15-2018, 02:12 PM
KN4CBB

Member Trucks
Quote:
Settled on a OME shock and spring set to replace the Terra Firma. I'll report back.
That's the standard. Always remember that these issues were all resolved over ten years ago.

'07 LR3
Old 03-15-2018, 02:27 PM

Member Trucks
Quote:
That's what I have.....heavy duty spring rates and OME nitrocharger shocks. I just replaced all shocks and the steering stabilizer with new after over 100k miles on the original set.

Everything is available at Expedition Exchange at very competitive prices and the owner, John Lee, is incredibly helpful.

https://expeditionexchange.com/shop?...%2Fold-man-emu
Old 03-15-2018, 02:29 PM
Almost There...

If only I’d owned one ten years ago, I wouldn’t have had to ask.
Old 03-15-2018, 02:31 PM

Member Trucks
Don't mind Stu....he's a 70 year old Mexican guy who rarely leaves his mother's basement.
Old 03-15-2018, 02:33 PM
KN4CBB

Member Trucks
Quote:
If only I?d owned one ten years ago, I wouldn?t have had to ask.
My point was that all of these issues have been sorted. And the answers are here.

'07 LR3
Old 03-15-2018, 02:35 PM
KN4CBB

Member Trucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue View Post
Don't mind Stu....he's a 70 year old Mexican guy who rarely leaves his mother's basement.
Per some on the facebook LR3 page, I'm a "salty prick". That means that the guy in the park was lying to me.

'07 LR3
Old 03-15-2018, 02:57 PM
Almost There...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu454 View Post
My point was that all of these issues have been sorted. And the answers are here.
Not really. There are a multitude of opinions and the evolution of the opinions over time. This is a common attitude on auto forums, "don't ask because someone answered this in 2008." By this logic, everything has been answered based on the age of the vehicle, and all questions are invalid. Thankfully very few people share this sentiment and the boards persist. But fear not, every board has a grump that thinks of himself as unique.
Old 03-15-2018, 03:07 PM
KN4CBB

Member Trucks
Quote:
Not really. There are a multitude of opinions and the evolution of the opinions over time. This is a common attitude on auto forums, "don't ask because someone answered this in 2008." By this logic, everything has been answered based on the age of the vehicle, and all questions are invalid. Thankfully very few people share this sentiment and the boards persist. But fear not, every board has a grump that thinks of himself as unique.
Sassy. The issue with opinions is that many of them are horseshit. I never said that your question was invalid. Only that it has been answered.

And I've got news for you, I am not the only "unique grump" here.

'07 LR3
Old 03-15-2018, 03:37 PM
Almost There...

Quote:
That's what I have.....heavy duty spring rates and OME nitrocharger shocks. I just replaced all shocks and the steering stabilizer with new after over 100k miles on the original set.

Everything is available at Expedition Exchange at very competitive prices and the owner, John Lee, is incredibly helpful.

https://expeditionexchange.com/shop?...%2Fold-man-emu

I ended up buying them from Rovers North who had sent me a 10% coupon for being a new customer and were very helpful with shopping for which of the OME springs were right with this ARB bar and some other stuff on the Disco. I don't think the 10" subwoofer the previous owner installed adds that much weight (though it certainly brings me back to about 1987...)
Old 03-16-2018, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Per some on the facebook LR3 page, I'm a "salty prick". That means that the guy in the park was lying to me.
Well invite them here so we can show them how a salty prick talks to other salty pricks.
Old 03-16-2018, 08:49 AM

Member Trucks
Quote:
New driveshaft, transfer case, bushings, joints. Freshly sealed motor and transmission. It?s just the ride height that I think causes the issues, whoever put on the kit to lift it did 50% of the job apparently, didn?t install the radius arms or correct driveshaft for the height.

Or so I surmise, this is all fairly new to me. Thanks!

So is this your first 4X4 as well? I bought a stock D1 and had it lifted and it's going to drive different once it's lifted. I went with a 3 inch RTE I drove it up stock and drove home lifted and it's not the same.........just the nature of the beast.

I'm NOT saying it drove bad.......just nothing like stock. That was with all the drive line correction mod's RTE offer too. If someone just threw springs under it it's going to feel even worse.
Old 03-16-2018, 08:57 AM

Member Trucks
You can get away without the driveline and geometry corrections on a D2 at 3” but that’s about the limit. Take the sway bars off and it gets dicey on the highway.
Old 03-16-2018, 11:31 AM
Almost There...

Dicey is the right term. I think the terra firma stuff needs more weight on it to correct the bouncy behavior. As to the w on 4x4s it’s my second discovery but I never modified the first one, it was a family car.
Old 03-16-2018, 12:23 PM

Member Trucks
I took my sway bars off 10 years ago and never missed them. The OME HD suspension holds it together just fine.
Old 03-17-2018, 11:35 AM

Quote:
I took my sway bars off 10 years ago and never missed them. The OME HD suspension holds it together just fine.
Me too. Get them off the truck. The stock springs are so soft you kind of need them. These springs will do just fine and your articulation will be much improved. What springs did you decide on? Depending on what spring you chose I might recommend bilstein shocks. I feel like the med/heavy springs I usually run need a little more dampning than the OME shacks can offer. The front of the truck will start to bounce a lot if the surface is washboarded a little.
Old 03-17-2018, 11:39 AM

Look at the EE site for detachable sway bar links if you feel like you want them on the road but don't want them when your off road. Thats about the only thing I like better about the D2. Nobody makes a good detachable link for the D1, or I haven't found one. But Like Blue said get rid of the whole system.
Old 04-03-2018, 08:46 AM
Almost There...

I installed new OMEs springs and nitrochargers on the front yesterday. The truck looks a bit wonky right now as it still has the 3" TF stuff on the rear. The OME rears will be installed today or later this week but a quick trip around the roundabout in the neighborhood confirmed the vagueness is gone from the steering. I'll update again with the rears are installed.
Old 04-03-2018, 02:19 PM
Almost There...

To close this thread out, the OMEs and Nitrochargers are now installed, front and rear, and the difference in stability and steering is remarkable. The only "issue" I have is the ARB front bumper is very heavy and gives the front a bit of a lower profile than the rear. Easy enough to correct as I'm installing a steel rear on this truck shortly.

Thanks to those who helped; in total the first front side took about 1.5 hours as I figured it all out, then about 45 minutes per wheel thereafter.
Old 04-04-2018, 09:42 AM

Member Trucks
Cool, did you keep your sway bars?
Old 04-04-2018, 09:48 AM
Almost There...

Kept the sway bars. Also the rear end settled considerably after use, the truck is fairly level now.
Old 04-05-2018, 07:00 AM

Quote:
What if something new came along in the last 10 yrs. I say keep asking.