DiscoWeb Message Boards

Go Back   DiscoWeb Message Boards > DiscoWeb Non-Technical Boards > General

General General BS

Old 07-11-2018, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbrox View Post
Why would a d1 be stupid? They are reliable and easy to work on
Easy to work on is very appealing to me, but I'm not sure I want to deal with the aches and pains of a 20+ year old vehicle anymore. I may we'll be wrong, but it seems that nice examples are getting rare. I can't think of the last time I saw a DI on the road that didn't look pretty ragged out. Of course even the newest LR3's aren't spring chickens anymore...
Old 07-11-2018, 10:29 PM

That?s good to know, I may be looking LR4 by the time I actually get something.

We have a Ram 1500 and 2500 at work. I like the Ram 1500 but it only gets 14-15 mpg. Nice power though. We also have a new Z71 I don?t like but it gets good mileage. Chevy pickup steering wheels have been too far to the right since the early 00s and I cant see well out of it like most newer cars.
Old 07-11-2018, 11:05 PM

If I move back to South Africa long term I'll be looking for a 1996 Defender 110 TDI. If I stay here I'm tempted to pick up a 4.4 L322 Range Rover.

1998 Discovery LSE
1993 Range Rover County Sport
Global Exploration and Recovery, LLC
Old 07-12-2018, 06:34 AM

I'd get another Ram. Have a 2009 now and gas isnt too bad, even for 5.7.

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum."
Old 07-12-2018, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballah06 View Post
I'd get another Ram. Have a 2009 now and gas isnt too bad, even for 5.7.
How's the rust? Every Dodge I see looks like swiss cheese. I had an '05 Dodge Grand Caravan that was rusted to bits in less than 10yrs. Sills, rear door, hood all with big gaping holes.
My friend bought a 15 or 16 Dodge Grand Caravan and I noticed it already has significant rust bubbles under the paint on the hood.
I know the pickups all rust out in the rear wheel arches.
Between the rust and transmission issues on my 05 I won't buy another Dodge product. We've been very pleased with our 15 Honda Odyssey, and no signs of rust!

My next vehicle will be a pickup of some sorts, either full size or something Tacoma sized.
'94 D1 Too good to pass up. OME lift, 265/75/16 BFG AT's, Detroit/TruTrac, etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by discostew View Post
No matter how hard you stir it you won't make chocolate ice cream out of a bucket of shit
Old 07-12-2018, 11:03 AM

Old 07-12-2018, 11:52 AM

saw this on I-81 on a Honda Odyssey last week.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg minivan.jpg (16.2 KB, 11 views)
Old 07-12-2018, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERover82 View Post
Yeah yeah. The fact is when you have 3 kids you're looking at
a) A $60-80,000 Suburban, Sequoia, Land Cruiser. My wife doesn't work and I'm not rich so that's out. Plus I think my wife would be unable to drive something that big.
b) A smaller less expensive SUV with 3 rows of seating but zero room for luggage and practical stuff. Our friends with 3 kids did this. We went camping an hour away with them. Their kids had to hold their bags in their laps. The next weekend they traded it in for a Chrysler mini-van(which is probably rusted now)
c) Any vehicle and just smoosh all three kids across the second row seats. I did this last summer. We took the '94 D1 out to Colorado camping for two weeks. It was fine but not something I want to deal with every single day.
d) A mini-van. Comfortably seats 6, 8 if needed. Didn't break the bank; essentially half the price. Plenty of room for all cargo needs even with all the seats in place. Not sexy. Not "cool". Just practical.
'94 D1 Too good to pass up. OME lift, 265/75/16 BFG AT's, Detroit/TruTrac, etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by discostew View Post
No matter how hard you stir it you won't make chocolate ice cream out of a bucket of shit

Last edited by fishEH; 07-12-2018 at 01:33 PM.
Old 07-12-2018, 01:32 PM

Member Trucks
Quote:
Parted out the D1 a couple years ago after we realized it didn't meet our family's needs.

Purchased LR3 and enjoyed many adventures in it, as well as being a comfortable, tow capable, daily driver.

Missed having something more rugged, light, and small to play with, but still have room and comfort enough for kids. Soft top was a strong desire as well. Begrudgingly purchased a TJ, but had a lot of good times and enjoyed getting to know the platform. It's not a Rover, but it's been a fun weekend toy.

Began searching for the next vehicle as the LR3 was aging and we desired something with more modern safety standards and efficiency, but keeping a high level of utility. Unfortunately Land Rovers were written off. They only make expensive little hand bags now, and I'm cheap and occasionally practical.

Sold the TJ and LR3. Purchased a loaded 2015 crew cab F150. It'll do everything the LR3/4 platform does, better, except technical offroad situations due to its lack of height adjustable air suspension, more advanced terrain response, and longer wheelbase. However, it'll be enough capability for the family until the second kid (infant) gets older and can withstand the raw experience of a soft top Series/Defender. We'll still be able to take them through the scenic mountains, wildlife park cruises, play in the snow, get to camp spots, and haul more than ever.

If LR doesn't royally screw up the Defender, we might return sooner than a classic.
Interesting...you had the LR3 but still had to purchase a TJ because the LR3 was lacking. Says a lot about the LR3.

I agree with you about writing off modern Land Rovers as expensive little hand bags.

I also find your comments interesting about the F150 not handling "technical offroad situations" because it doesn't have adjustable air suspension and terrain response (and of course the longer wheelbase). You don't need that techy shit. Save that bling for the hand bags. That F150 will go anywhere the TJ and LR3 went, short of perhaps very particular high-center rocks.

On 2 separate occasions yesterday I was behind the new Discovery at stop lights. I don't know whether to laugh or cry. Seeing the Discovery emblem on that thing is embarrassing actually.

My buddy just picked up a 2018 Tacoma. Not sure which model but it must be the Sport. His requirements were access cab and manual transmission. They only make one model like that and I think it's the Sport. It's a nice truck and I shopped them out online. I'd be over $40K to get one the way I want. But then again, I couldn't have it the way I want because this package is only available with this color, longer bed isn't available with this model, manual transmission not available on this model, and all that bullshit. I think the engine is a bit weak for what it is (3.5L V6 at 278HP @ 6K RPM & 265 lb-ft @ 4600RPM). No V8 option, they should definitely add a V8 to the lineup. I also don't like the rear leaf springs and it has rear drum brakes for Christ's sake. I just don't feel inspired, don't feel the love. Definitely don't feel the love for a new car payment...I haven't had a car payment for my personal vehicles in ages. We lease a new car every few years for my wife but I personally can't stand car (or lease) payments.
Old 07-12-2018, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue View Post
Interesting...you had the LR3 but still had to purchase a TJ because the LR3 was lacking. Says a lot about the LR3.

I agree with you about writing off modern Land Rovers as expensive little hand bags.

I also find your comments interesting about the F150 not handling "technical offroad situations" because it doesn't have adjustable air suspension and terrain response (and of course the longer wheelbase). You don't need that techy shit. Save that bling for the hand bags. That F150 will go anywhere the TJ and LR3 went, short of perhaps very particular high-center rocks.
It says the LR3 isn't a light, nimble, soft top / open air experience. We used the TJ on fair weather weekends to run around the mountains. We used the LR3 to take people with us, haul stuff, venture further out, and when the weather was shit and the "open air experience" would suck.

We took the LR3 places where breakover angle was a barrier for trucks. The LR3 is not only much shorter but the air suspension raised quite high, allowing us to drive over large obstacles. Many of the old roads we explore are overgrown, and relative to a truck, the LR3's more compact size allows fitting between rocks and fallen trees and reversing down roads easier.

Turning around on mountain roads with a cliff on one side, and and bank on the other gets more interesting the longer the vehicle.

Most trucks are solid rear axle for good reason, but in deep snow it ends up plowing. Our LR3 would hover over snow in off-road height, only a relatively small section of the a-arms plowing, where other trucks would begin having trouble if the snow was dense and their axles were plowing.

However, this F150 has a locking rear diff and 1.5" larger tires than the LR3. It'll still get us there, but specific situations will be more challenging. In other situations I have no doubt it'll outperform the old LR3.
Old 07-12-2018, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishEH View Post
Yeah yeah. The fact is when you have 3 kids you're looking at
a) A $60-80,000 Suburban, Sequoia, Land Cruiser. My wife doesn't work and I'm not rich so that's out. Plus I think my wife would be unable to drive something that big.
b) A smaller less expensive SUV with 3 rows of seating but zero room for luggage and practical stuff. Our friends with 3 kids did this. We went camping an hour away with them. Their kids had to hold their bags in their laps. The next weekend they traded it in for a Chrysler mini-van(which is probably rusted now)
c) Any vehicle and just smoosh all three kids across the second row seats. I did this last summer. We took the '94 D1 out to Colorado camping for two weeks. It was fine but not something I want to deal with every single day.
d) A mini-van. Comfortably seats 6, 8 if needed. Didn't break the bank; essentially half the price. Plenty of room for all cargo needs even with all the seats in place. Not sexy. Not "cool". Just practical.
My sister got a new Toyota Sienna for her four kids. It's ugly like most new Toyotas, but once you're inside it's a very comfortable experience, and great road trip vehicle.
Old 07-12-2018, 03:23 PM

I bought myself a few weeks ago a 2006 Toyota 4Runner. I enjoy driving it but it lacks the character of my old D1.
Old 07-12-2018, 04:53 PM

Member Trucks
A motorcycle, most likely a Honda Shadow, I think is the only thing I would enjoy more than driving my 98 D1, I daily drive it, it is lifted , with 235's and roof rack, it brings a big smile to my face every time I click the remote and see it.
Recently went on a trip to Florida (1000 miles each way, plus 1000 miles during the trip) with 5 people, an electric wheelchair, and luggage, in my wife's 2017 pathfinder, averaged 30 MPG on the highway, a whole lot of bang for the buck.
Old 07-12-2018, 05:59 PM
KN4KFS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue View Post
My buddy just picked up a 2018 Tacoma. Not sure which model but it must be the Sport. His requirements were access cab and manual transmission. They only make one model like that and I think it's the Sport. It's a nice truck and I shopped them out online. I'd be over $40K to get one the way I want. But then again, I couldn't have it the way I want because this package is only available with this color, longer bed isn't available with this model, manual transmission not available on this model, and all that bullshit. I think the engine is a bit weak for what it is (3.5L V6 at 278HP @ 6K RPM & 265 lb-ft @ 4600RPM). No V8 option, they should definitely add a V8 to the lineup. I also don't like the rear leaf springs and it has rear drum brakes for Christ's sake. I just don't feel inspired, don't feel the love. Definitely don't feel the love for a new car payment...I haven't had a car payment for my personal vehicles in ages. We lease a new car every few years for my wife but I personally can't stand car (or lease) payments.
All true (well, except for the engine - I've got a 1st Gen (V6, 190hp/220ftlb) and it's plenty, even for towing).

But it just goes. Anywhere. Even with leaf springs and drum breaks.

Agree on the payment thing - which is why I have a 1st Gen with 260k miles.

(FYI - the curb weight of the 1st gen is ~3900# vs the 2018 which is ~4500#. So, while heavier, the extra 80hp should more than make up for it. Shit, the 4.6 only puts out 222hp, and the truck is 1000# heavier).

'03 HSE
Go Hokies! - Ut Prosim

Dangerous time when our country is led by those who will lie about anything, backed by those who will believe anything, based on information from media sources that will say anything. Americans must break out of that bubble and seek truth.
Old 07-12-2018, 06:40 PM
Keyboard Pounder II

Without actually tallying things up, it seems like most folks here are NOT looking to buy new/used Hand Bags as their next vehicles.
Good thing Jaguar Hand Bag gives no fucks about people like us, or perhaps they'd begin to worry about losing a demographic.

Do sharks complain about Monday? No.
They're up early, biting shit, chasing stuff, being scary,
reminding everyone that they are a fucking shark.
Old 07-12-2018, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim-00-4.6 View Post
Without actually tallying things up, it seems like most folks here are NOT looking to buy new/used Hand Bags as their next vehicles.
Good thing Jaguar Hand Bag gives no fucks about people like us, or perhaps they'd begin to worry about losing a demographic.
I picked up my 2011 RR Sport Lux for $25,000. It had 43k miles on it and the 7yr/100k extended warranty that is good till Aug of 2020....I'm digging my Hand Bag.
The Sports are a dime a dozen out here in LALA Land so good deals are plentiful.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:00 PM

Member Trucks
Honda Civic
Old 07-12-2018, 10:16 PM

If poor gas mileage gets you to the best places on earth, where does a Civic get you?
Old 07-13-2018, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishEH View Post
How's the rust? Every Dodge I see looks like swiss cheese. I had an '05 Dodge Grand Caravan that was rusted to bits in less than 10yrs. Sills, rear door, hood all with big gaping holes.
My friend bought a 15 or 16 Dodge Grand Caravan and I noticed it already has significant rust bubbles under the paint on the hood.
I know the pickups all rust out in the rear wheel arches.
Between the rust and transmission issues on my 05 I won't buy another Dodge product. We've been very pleased with our 15 Honda Odyssey, and no signs of rust!

My next vehicle will be a pickup of some sorts, either full size or something Tacoma sized.
Having had it in DC area (until a year ago) since I bought it used in 2010, only have a rust spot under paint on front quarter panel. Aside from that, no other rust I've noticed. No major issues so far aside from the AC actuator that needs to get fixed (doesnt switch output as selected). Been a great truck so far, going on 190k miles. I have the Sport version and the interior is nice but definitely not the real leather so to speak. Had a recall on driver and passenger seat bottoms a few years ago, had them replaced and one is cracked. Not worth spending a grand replacing. Good thing about Dodge trucks imo at least they have wheel well covers. Other trucks do not from what I have seen. I do love the full size size; can't say I would have been able to get away w a Tacoma size bed. I have the shorter bed but full size rear doors. Would def get the same exact setup if I were buying new. I test drove a Tacoma back in the day and it felt crammed and plasticky to me, plus the Hemi has some power for sure. I know they make 1500s in diesel now, if that's smth worth looking into. Had a V6 for a rental and that thing drove like a retarded Santa sled; no power at all.

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum."
Old 07-13-2018, 07:01 AM

Quote:
If poor gas mileage gets you to the best places on earth, where does a Civic get you?
To Starbucks and back... On a sunny day.

Old 07-13-2018, 07:27 AM

Member Trucks
Quote:
to work to make money to buy fuel
Old 07-13-2018, 08:13 AM
Keyboard Pounder II

Member Trucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4 View Post

Thats exactly right.. That said Im looking to trade my Hyundai that gets 30mpg for an F150 ecoboost so I can use it as a daily driver/tow rig/ light camping or overlanding truck.

The Rover is becoming too much of a one trick pony and driving it long distances on pavement isnt all that much fun.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:15 AM
Keyboard Pounder II

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4 View Post
I do coke
So I can work longer
So I can earn more
So I can do more coke

Do sharks complain about Monday? No.
They're up early, biting shit, chasing stuff, being scary,
reminding everyone that they are a fucking shark.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:13 AM

Mmm Coke Zero...

Old 07-13-2018, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-rover View Post
Thats exactly right.. That said Im looking to trade my Hyundai that gets 30mpg for an F150 ecoboost so I can use it as a daily driver/tow rig/ light camping or overlanding truck.

The Rover is becoming too much of a one trick pony and driving it long distances on pavement isnt all that much fun.
Next year's F150 is supposed to get Land Rover's Td6 at 22/30/25 mpg 2wd and 20/25/22 mpg 4wd.

Aluminum body, Td6, 4wd with two speed xfer case. Sounds familiar..