DII dash/ tail lights not working

JWilliams

Apr 20, 2004
Northern Kentucky
I have an 00 DII.

When I turn on my headlights the entire instrument panel and the dash buttons besides the radio do not light up. Also all my rear marker lights do not work.
Blinkers still work as do the headlights. Not being able to read the speedo at night is very annoying.

All the fuses seem to be working fine. Fuse #33 is still good.

Anyone have any ideas on what the problem could be?

Thanks in advance.

rovercanus

Apr 24, 2004
The streeing wheel does not need to come off, just the cover around the column. You can get to the screws by turning the wheel 90 degrees.
More then likely, the stalk is the issue.

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
I had exactly the same problem. A $75 replacement stalk switch from Will Tillery has worked perfectly for the six months I've had it. Start to finish it was a 15-minute repair. The only tricky part was disconnecting the plugs from the switch. That takes a little finesse to avoid snapping the plastic catches that hold everything in place.

JWilliams

Apr 20, 2004
Northern Kentucky
Once again the board has saved me tons of cash. :bigok:

The problem was indeed the blinker stalk.

I am pretty sure the only way to fix it was to remove the steering wheel though. Let me follow that with -->I had a steering wheel that I wanted to replace but had always been scared of messing with the air bag so this was a perfect excuse.
Removed the air bag and steering wheel and replaced both the blinker and wiper stalks with a used unit from the junkyard for $50. Reassembled everything including the newer steering wheel that didn't have old very worn leather on it. Took about an hour, but I did have a steering wheel puller that made the job much easier.

Problem is fixed.

Thanks again.

Last edited:

JWilliams

Apr 20, 2004
Northern Kentucky
rovercanus said:
I've changed them with no problems with the wheel on.

How did you do that? There were two screws under the rotary coupler that had to be removed after the steering wheel came off.
Did you change them on a DII or a DI?

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
I replaced my headlight switch (D1) with the steering wheel on. The general order of things was:

1. Turn steering wheel 90 degrees from center (helps access screws holding switch in place)
2. Remove steering column cowl/shroud (2 screws, 2-piece black plastic clam shell)
3. Remove screws holding switch in place
4. Gently separate switch from wiring plugs
5. Connect wiring to new switch
6. Replace switch
7. Replace screws holding switch in place
8. Replace cowl and screws

I might have left something out. This is another one of those repairs where having small hands is helpful.

rovercanus

Apr 24, 2004
JWilliams said:
How did you do that? There were two screws under the rotary coupler that had to be removed after the steering wheel came off.
Did you change them on a DII or a DI?
Same as you, a 2000 D2. I just turned the wheel 90 degrees and was able to access all the screws that held it in.