Jaguar XJ motor mount upgrade

eliaschristeas

Jul 6, 2006
Beverly HIlls
so after annihilating my motor mounts, tranny mount and tcase mount in big bear recently, i wanted to go for something tougher and cheaper and opted for the 79 XJS V12 mounts.

the diameter is bigger, rubber more dense, thickness the same, and stud length longer.

even though i ordered 4, only 3 made it. a stock rover one had to go onto the lt230 b/c the jaguar's bigger diameter occluded the base plate bolts (however in my frustration i painted my lt230 brackets camel trophy yellow....)

as for the motor and tranny, easy enough with a good floor jack. the slightly longer stud length required that the brackets come off the motor - mounted them to the brackets first, slipped into the frame second and then lined up the holes for the engine brackets while lowering the engine slowly.

same for all older chassis trucks like rrc/d1 and most likely defeders....

if i wasnt tipsy and didnt lose tools and parts and bolts and stare at things with 20 minute gaps it probably would've taken a little over an hour as opposed to 4.....

rock auto is the cheapest source - $10.50 each jlm1010

Last edited:

eliaschristeas

Jul 6, 2006
Beverly HIlls
rover4x4 said:
does the truck feel "tighter"

yes it does. i've never had a car with new motor mounts so i have no basis for comparison but when the hood is open and i play with the throttle body, the suspension moves and not the motor. there's not harsh vibration inside the truck like rigid mounts or anything.

and mayyyyyyyybe just mayyyyyyyyybe its a little more responsive b/c energy isnt lost in rotten rubber.

a worthy endeavor if you have $60 and a few hours to spare - especially for trail reliability.

GregH

Apr 24, 2004
eliaschristeas said:
so after annihilating my motor mounts, tranny mount and tcase mount in big bear recently, i wanted to go for something tougher and cheaper and opted for the 79 XJS V12 mounts.

the diameter is bigger, rubber more dense, thickness the same, and stud length longer.

even though i ordered 4, only 3 made it. a stock rover one had to go onto the lt230 b/c the jaguar's bigger diameter occluded the base plate bolts (however in my frustration i painted my lt230 brackets camel trophy yellow....)

as for the motor and tranny, easy enough with a good floor jack. the slightly longer stud length required that the brackets come off the motor - mounted them to the brackets first, slipped into the frame second and then lined up the holes for the engine brackets while lowering the engine slowly.

same for all older chassis trucks like rrc/d1 and most likely defeders....

if i wasnt tipsy and didnt lose tools and parts and bolts and stare at things with 20 minute gaps it probably would've taken a little over an hour as opposed to 4.....

rock auto is the cheapest source - $10.50 each jlm1010

That's about what I paid from Motorcars LTD.

Eliot

Feb 4, 2008
Bozeman, MT
eliaschristeas said:
and mayyyyyyyybe just mayyyyyyyyybe its a little more responsive b/c energy isnt lost in rotten rubber.

I felt that way when I swapped the mounts on my old V8 Mercedes.