long travel sway bar mounting on a d2

Mongo

Apr 19, 2004
I used the stock location with parts from Speedway Engineering...

photocopy3-1.jpg

photocopy2-1.jpg

Jake1996D1

Mar 28, 2011
West Des Moines IA
Devildog01 said:
Sway bars are for girls.

Dude you wheel like a girl. When you get something that flexes more than that terrafirma kit you can have an opinion. :D

Thanks for the pics Frank. I may ask you a couple more questions if I decide to go for it.

Jimmy

Apr 10, 2006
Aurora, CO
Stiff, hard springs and shocks compensating for no sway bars are for lining chiropractor's pockets.

I'd love to pull some of the valving from my shocks to soften it up offroad, but the highway ride would not be to my liking since the stock sways are gone.

I like it.

Jake1996D1

Mar 28, 2011
West Des Moines IA
Ok Frank here are some questions -

bar length, O.D. and rate. Arm length - which would probably be different for me mounting them on a d1.

and honestly - is the roll axis improvement worth the price

Mongo

Apr 19, 2004
length is 37.5, 48 splined 1.75 ended with a 1.50 diameter bar(my tires and headlocks are heavy) and the arm's are the 613-5-1. Length of the control arm is determined by how much travel you have.

I planned a sway bar into my build, with that said, I run a slightly lighter spring so my ride is smoother on the washboards and with coil overs, I actually have options for spring rates and also have changed valve stack in the shocks to adjust my ride.

Is it worth it, depends how much it will be driven on-road and if you like hauling ass on fire roads getting to the trail...

Mongo

Apr 19, 2004
yep...but that's gonna be too stiff for you, do you have the curb weight per corner and tire/rim weight of your truck?

Mongo

Apr 19, 2004
not really, just using a orbital joint instead of heim's...been working on a front radius arm adapter

p m

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 19, 2004
La Jolla, CA
www.3rj.org
After looking at the front end... Would the lowered frame mount for the stock radius arms make sense?
And I have one Ballistic 1" orbital joint sitting on my workbench. I'd buy another, and use both if I could.

Jake1996D1

Mar 28, 2011
West Des Moines IA
Mongo said:
yep...but that's gonna be too stiff for you, do you have the curb weight per corner and tire/rim weight of your truck?

No but I suppose I could probably figure it out - this might be a stupid question but then how do you convert it to in/lbs at the 5* twist they measure it at?

Mongo

Apr 19, 2004
not really, the I'm working on uses a custom frame mount, which means you cut the stock one off. This threads onto any radius arm (stock or aftermarket) and uses either a heim or orbital joint to eliminate binding...Make sense

Mongo

Apr 19, 2004
I'm looking for the calculator that I used, I though I had it saved...

p m

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 19, 2004
La Jolla, CA
www.3rj.org
Mongo said:
not really, the I'm working on uses a custom frame mount, which means you cut the stock one off. This threads onto any radius arm (stock or aftermarket) and uses either a heim or orbital joint to eliminate binding...Make sense
Are you talking about using a female orb joint on the front radius arms, with a custom frame mount?
That would be sweet.