Hey Dan...got a good dry rub recipe you want to share...

Mongo

Apr 19, 2004
Got any tips or good base recipes? Mainly looking for a good rib dry rub

BBQ out here SUCKS!

Mongo

Apr 19, 2004
I've had the best luck about 245f for about 4 1/2 to 5 hours...Looking for original ideas

Mike_Rupp

Mar 26, 2004
Mercer Island, WA
Do you wrap the ribs in foil and add apple juice & apple cider vinegar? That seems to really improve the tenderness and juiciness of the ribs.

Mongo

Apr 19, 2004
Yep, tried that and butter/honey, I have a favorite sauce I get from dinosaur BBQ in Syracuse, just looking for a good rub and want to try some different things also...

Jan 3, 2005
On Kennith's private island
Chicken
I struggle with chicken. I don't know why. I can cook the shit out of a turkey, but I struggle with BBQ chicken. So I don't have any really great recipes for chicken to share.

I have my own signature chicken recipe I use a lot of the time when I'm cooking at home, but it's probably not what you're looking for. However, you may look at two rubs that are good on chicken. The first one is Yard Bird by a company called Plow Boys. It's a solid rub. I use this rub on whole turkey and it's fantastic. The other is called Dizzy Dust by a company called Dizzy Pig. Dizzy Pig sells more of a premium rub - they use premium ingredients and it's going to cost you a bit more. I keep Dizzy Dust around for other recipes, but it's good on chicken, too.

Ribs
It took me a long time to nail down some solid ribs and I'm still tweaking my recipe. My KCBS scores are steady rising in the rib category and I finally pulled off a top 5 last weekend with a 4th place finish in ribs. So I think I'm getting close to a solid recipe.

I wish it was as easy as dusting the ribs with rub and tossing them on the cooker for a few hours. It's not. But I'll try to sum it up the best I can.

With ribs, I find that a higher temperature works better for me. When I cook brisket or pork butt, I like to keep my fire around 200-225*. But with ribs I have to crank it up a notch to 275*. The higher temp seems to render the fat much better to give me a more tender rib, without the rib just sliding off the bone.

I've gotten suckered into the "cooking with science" crap. Call it hocus-pocus or whatever, but I'm buying it. I've started playing with this technique on ribs and I'm sure it will work it's way into my pork recipes next. But it starts with the rub.

Some folks will tell you to rub your ribs just before you put them on the cooker and not before. The theory is that the salt in the rubs will dry out the meat. And, maybe there is some truth to that. I experimented with saltless rubs I made myself and turned out some good ribs. I just added the salt at the end of the cook. But I've found something better. Butchers BBQ makes a Honey Rub that is excellent. It's a low-salt rub but more importantly Butchers BBQ also believes in "cooking with science". So there are some other goodies in his rubs that work great with ribs. As a base rubs, I like to coat the ribs with Butcher BBQ Honey Rub, then wrap the ribs in plastic wrap for about 6 hours. Oh the horror. The Butchers BBQ rubs just needs time to do what it's intended to do, and it's intended to bring out the flavors of the meat. If you were cooking Berkshire ribs, this may be an unnecessary step. I don't know. But 99% of the ribs you're going to by at the store or your local meat market are from shitty hogs raised on an unnatural diet and are not nearly as flavorful as a heritage breed hog living in the woods.

Just before putting the ribs on the cooker, I add a second rub. I like a Dizzy Pig rub called Raging River. This rub is sweet. I could put this shit on ice cream and eat it. This rub does have turbinado sugar in it. Sugar, especially at a higher temp, can burn. It can also get very dark and give your ribs an unpleasant color. But turbinado sugar can tolerate a bit more heat than brown sugar. But what I'm doing with the second rub is building a layer of flavor. We've now got the natural pork flavor and some sweetness.

There are two methods to cooking ribs I like. The first is the 3-2-1 method. The other is called the Pig Honey method. It just depends on if you like foiling your ribs or not. Big argument there on whether aluminum foil belongs in BBQ or not. If I'm cooking for a competition, I use foil and the 3-2-1 method. At home, I use the Pig Honey method.

3-2-1
3 hours on the cooker
2 hours inside aluminum foil
1 hour back on the cooker

Pig Honey
Cook the ribs until the "pig honey" starts oozing out and covers the ribs, then close all the dampers and allow the fire to burn out. Pull the ribs once the temp drops to 150*.

The 3-2-1 method is easier to master. So after 3 hours, I pull the ribs and add yet another rub. This time Dizzy Pig Dizzy Dust coarse. I'll also add some squeeze butter. The squeeze butter helps with moisture. Wrap them up tight and put back on the cooker, meat side down. Two hours later, unwrap them and carefully put the back on the cooker rack. At this point the ribs are done, and tender, but they're too tender. We need to firm them back up. This is done by just simply putting them back on the cooker to cool down slowly. It's hot inside that foil.

It's also at this time I add a sauce. Pretty much any sauce will do. Use your favorite. Personally, I like Purple Pork Masters. Even if you like a dry rub rib you still want to add a sauce here.

After 45 minutes the ribs are pretty much complete. Do you want a dry rib or a wet rib? For a dry rib, just add a bit more Dizzy Dust and allow it to caramelize on the cooker. Maybe even add a little chipotle pepper to the dizzy dust for some heat at the end.

For a wet rib, coat the racks with Amazing Glaze from a company called The Slabs. Amazing Glaze is sweet and spicy. Sometimes I like to thin it just a bit with apple juice. Give it about 15 minutes in the cooker to set, and you're good to go. Maybe even add a dash more Dizzy Dust...

jymmiejamz

Dec 5, 2004
Los Angeles, Ca
Was planning on doing a trail ride/Mike V. fund raiser and BBQing for that this summer. But one thing led to another.....

But we BBQ at least three days a week. Soon to be five days a week. Let me know when you're out this way.

I want to get out there to do some mountain biking, and some BBQ would probably be good after a long ride in the mountains.