Info on Replacing Front Propshaft

M

memphisrangie

Does anyone know a website with info on replacing the front drive shaft for my DII? I don't have the workshop manual, but I do have some experience working on my Classic. Does this seem like a fairly straight-forward repair to attempt???

D

D Chapman

Why not rebuild it?

If you get a new one, I'll give you 50 buck for the one you have now, if it's double cardon...

It cost about $80-$100.00 to fully rebuild them...

M

memphisrangie

I guess I'm just looking for a fairly easy replacement. An aftermarket one from Rovers North is $399, which is a considerable deal comparing the dealer's $1200 estimate. I have no idea if it's double cardon, but you are welcome to it when i take it out.

marc olivares

Apr 20, 2004
WHAT AM I READING HERE????

David, Dan just gave you some great advice on having your shaft rebuild for under a hundred dollars, i think you should take it. buying a $400 drive shaft just because it was $800 cheaper than the dealer is just ridiculous. the only thing that wears out on a drive shafts are the u-joints, and they are a wearable, replaceable item. get that thing rebuilt.

crawl under your disco, remove the 8 fasteners, lock your center diff and drive to a local driveshaft shop and have them change u-joints and rebalance. done for well under $400, but if you like to spend money send me your drive shaft and $400 and i'll send you a good one. (no, dont do that, i'm just kidding :D )
but, seriously don't waste your money, overhaul it.

(sorry Dan, don't mean to screw you out of a cheap repairable shaft, but that's just crazy and you know it too... :D )

and yes David, if it the front shaft, it is a double cardon

Last edited:
M

memphisrangie

Well that does seem crazy, I just would like it to be done this weekend, and I figured replacing the shaft would take a couple hours on Saturday, where "overhauling" the u-joints could take Saturday AND Sunday for me!. Also, I have no idea which of the 3 u-joints needs repairing. I could order 3 from atlantic british for about $50 a piece.

Oh, and yeah, I don't have a CDL

Eric N.

Apr 20, 2004
Falls Church, VA
I would have all three replaced with greasable ones. Why take the risk, you have it out, do them all.. Any local shops near you? Most could have it done in a few hours if you bring the u-joints and the shaft is already out of the truck.. Hell, probably even faster if they aren't busy.

marc olivares

Apr 20, 2004
LOL...Damn D2's and their questionable locking t-case... :mad:
ok nix the t-case lock and bum a ride from your GF/WIFE/ PARENTS/FRiEND/TAXI/ETC...

David, call a local Drive shaft shop first before you buy anything
most will do them in just a few hours.
i know for a fact that my local shop also stocks all of the joints for all rovers, but then again, they build GBR the shafts.

D

D Chapman

Go to rockauto.com, u-joints are around 18.00ea. and the center kit is something like 15 bucks (Without looking)....Mose driveline shops can have you in and out less than a day, if you call first...For me, it's cheaper to take the shaft somewhere with parts in hand than do it myself...You may as well replace all 3 u-joints at the sametime, and while it's apart, replace the center kit too..

M

memphisrangie

Cool, I found one place that said he could do the work, if i bring him the parts. I can order the joints, but I can't find info on the center kit? Any ideas?

rovercanus

Apr 24, 2004
memphisrangie said:
Cool, I found one place that said he could do the work, if i bring him the parts. I can order the joints, but I can't find info on the center kit? Any ideas?
Precision 617. Napa has it but it's expensive there. Get on from Rock auto like Dan said. $17.

D

D Chapman

Use this discount code 221434215840 for a small discount at rockauto.com I think it's good for like 5% or so....Better than nothing.

I think the u-joints are part number 344

M

memphisrangie

okay, precision #617, the center kit....do I need to order just 1? or 3? (for each U-Joint)

D

D Chapman

You only need one center kit, and three u-joints...

I'll send Mike Noe a message, he has a good like to a strp-by-step rebuild for the D2 shaft, and maybe he can post it here...

M

memphisrangie

that would be great, hopefully it's not too late for rock auto to overnight

M

memphisrangie

Thanks guys,

Another novice question: Sould I be concerned with a precise torque on the bolts of the drive shaft? Do you suggest putting that blue stuff on the threads to "lock" the bolts? Or should I just bolt everything on tight?

Does the workshop manual help with these sorts of questions? I plan on getting one, but just haven't.