Mentions two software flashes, but my Foxwell NT510 reports the following:

TCM - Transmission control module, ECU Information
Hardware Number THC500061
ECU Software Number NNV503881
ECU Serial Number 1026850160004366
ECU Calibration Data 1 Number NNS504590
ECU Assembly Number NNW507880
ECU Delivery Assembly Number TGD500560

Mine appears newer, correct? How do you know what the latest is for a given year?

JLR ZF Trouble Shooting Guide

Don't see anything for P0783 for 07+ in the guide

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
There is a reflash for the torque converter operation. It fixes a harsh engagement after a rolling stop thru an intersection. Like when the truck almost stops but then you get back on the gas and launch thru the intersection. Do you have any of those faults listed? Tell me how you adjusted the fluid level. That is a code I've seen in trucks with low fluid level.

Last edited:

jymmiejamz

Dec 5, 2004
Los Angeles, Ca
You need a valve body. That fault code happens up here when the transmission adaptations are reset during a software update. The 3-4 shift solenoid has likely failed.

ERover82

Nov 26, 2011
Darien Gap
Engine idle in neutral. Trans @ 35C. Topped off until it back came out. Only about 1/4 quart low. Seems to have made it 70% better.

Unfortunately I also did an accidental vehicle reset with the Foxwell. Hope that wasn't the true cause of improvement, though I don't know if "vehicle reset" resets TCM adaptations. However, I can specifically do a TCM adaptation reset with the Foxwell if you guys think I should.

What would cause it to need a valve body?
"when the transmission adaptations are reset during a software update" are you saying that's the cause? a tech screwed up?

Last edited:

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
Engine idle in neutral. Trans @ 35C. Topped off until it back came out. Only about 1/4 quart low. Seems to have made it 70% better.

Unfortunately I also did an accidental vehicle reset with the Foxwell. Hope that wasn't the true cause of improvement, though I don't know if "vehicle reset" resets TCM adaptations. However, I can specifically do a TCM adaptation reset with the Foxwell if you guys think I should.

What would cause it to need a valve body?
"when the transmission adaptations are reset during a software update" are you saying that's the cause? a tech screwed up?

I don't think a tech screwed up if resetting adaptions caused this problem to surface. I think he's a victim of circumstance. Kind of standing at the wrong place at the wrong time. Resetting the adaptions will take away all the adjustments your trans made to compensate for whatever is going on. Now maybe it can't get out ahead of whatever pressure problems exist and its faulting out. Hopefully it's a valve body. It's also possible its loosing a clutch internally. Valve body would be the first step, if someone's got a known good used trans that might be the way I would go.

ERover82

Nov 26, 2011
Darien Gap
Any idea what causes valve body or clutch failure on these?

As long as its shifting smooth should I keep driving it?

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
Yes keep driving it. Maybe a solution will present itself. Is it a harsh shift? Does the code come back right away? I guess if it had a clutch slipping it would have a gear ratio incorrect code stored. Just think it could be more than just a valve body. Not likely but possible. Maybe you can find a good valve body and try that. Jymmie said you can rewrite the vin in a used one and he's a pretty reliable source of info. I've never done it.

ERover82

Nov 26, 2011
Darien Gap
The Foxwell has two ways to get codes, OBDII and the Land Rover module specific codes. P0783 showed up as a CEL and OBDII code. There was in fact an Incorrect Gear Ratio fault logged in the module, but not OBDII. I haven't trusted the module specific codes though because many seem like they must have been logged long ago or don't present any problem currently. There's no time stamp on the faults that I see.

When it was doing it bad, it would rev higher then slam into gear on 3-4 . Same thing happened when going up a steep grade and it had to down shift. Not sure if it was 6-5 or 5-4, but it never showed a code for that in OBDII or module.

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
Incorrect gear ratio normally means something is slipping. I say normally cause it's possible it commanded the solinoid to shift the trans and mechanically something didn't move. Like the solinoid or the valve it commands. At that point jymmie is right on the money. I just caution you that you could spend the big bucks for a valve body and go thru all the heart ache of installing it and still have the issue. So I feel like if you could get your hands on a known good used trans that that would be a safer bet. Drive it and pay close attention to what's going on. Watch the tach for signs that there's any slipping going on.

ERover82

Nov 26, 2011
Darien Gap
Will keep an eye on it.

Here's what I'm considering.. Since I should fix the connector sleeve leak anyways, and I'll have the pan off, and it could have a valve body issue, I could go ahead and drop the valve body out and do this kit: http://www.sonnax.com/parts/3052-zip-kit

It's $150 and looks simple. From what I've seen dropping the valve body is simple too, a couple screws and a seal, but maybe I'm wrong. Maybe the cross member or exhaust gets in the way, or something else. I have a pdf somewhere of the procedure.

One thing I wont be doing is dropping the trans myself in the driveway and replacing. If it comes to that I'm fucked. Nearest dealer is 4 hours north in Portland and then I have to put up with pdxrovermech. Not sure I trust the local "foreign" shops and either way it's probably going to cost nearly half what I paid for the lemon anyways. Let's forget about that for now..

Last edited:

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
What? Fuck that. I'm too busy for that newish stuff right now. I'd refer you to Doug Hoblitt at Green Oval. He's good in my book.

That's funny cause I'm too busy for the older stuff. I have to keep the new stuff going thru here so the lemon laws don't get used by people that deserve to have there trucks fixed. I stop to look at some old disco and we start getting backed up.

jymmiejamz

Dec 5, 2004
Los Angeles, Ca
I think that a trans shop that works on ZF transmissions is an option.

X2. In Virginia I tried to sell a customer a transmission for this fault, they went to a transmission shop and the transmission shop put a valve body in it. They brought it back to the dealership for me to program it. I got an earful for that one.

ERover82

Nov 26, 2011
Darien Gap
X2. In Virginia I tried to sell a customer a transmission for this fault, they went to a transmission shop and the transmission shop put a valve body in it. They brought it back to the dealership for me to program it. I got an earful for that one.

I'm guessing the cost comparison was about 2 grand vs 7?

ERover82

Nov 26, 2011
Darien Gap
I'm still wondering..

Are the NNSxxxxxx numbers in ascending order, meaning that greater is newer?

Does LR provide a place to check for latest module firmware/programming/calibration/whatever they call it?