Smart phone based OBD readers?

Longtallsally

Nov 28, 2016
UT
So as I'm about to do the fly and drive to pick up a new to me Disco, I have my first productive question. Yes, I searched, but didn't get anything.

Anyway, I have an application on my phone that uses a wifi dongle that plugs into the OBD-II port and provides data. The Disco I'm getting is an '01. The program is OBD Fusion and I've used it very well on the Jeep (a '12) very successfully.

So will I get any data? Will I screw up the ECM? Since it's OBD-II, I'd think by emissions law I'd get something.

I'm guessing I won't get too much appreciable and don't know architecture of these things well enough to know how much use of CANs they use.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I've been wondering and it might give me a bit of a toy to play with while driving.

Howski

Oct 19, 2009
Alabama
I don't see why the program you've got wouldn't work. Used the same program on my D2 and the fiance's car without issue. I use OBDCarDoctor because it's free and tells me everything I need.

helievacpilot

Mar 29, 2007
Denver CO
Torque Pro for me. I believe it's free also. You will need an ABS Amigo to pull codes/reset the 3 Amigos.

Prices have come down for readers that will do both. You might look into those. No smartphone apps yet though, that I'm aware of.

Longtallsally

Nov 28, 2016
UT
Cool, thanks guys. I've already got it- I just wanted to make sure I wouldn't send hounds of hell after me for hooking something up. Torque is the benchmark by far, but I've suckered into the Apple ecosystem.

I'm not a total noob on this as I've spent a number of years in the telematics industry.

WaltNYC

Mar 3, 2010
NYC
For Apple I use an app called 'OBD Fusion' combined with a WIFI dongle ('cause apple hasn't played nice with bluetooth dongles for some reason), but I'm told that is changing.

POST CORRECT FOR MY ERROR... ty Robert

Last edited:

robertf

Jan 22, 2006
-
For Apple I use an app called 'OBD Fusion' combined with a bluetooth dongle ('cause apple hasn't played nice with wifi dongles for some reason), but I'm told that is changing.

I think you've got it switched around. iOS doesn't do Bluetooth serial. Since 2009ish there has been BLE, also known as Bluetooth 4.0 or Bluetooth low power. Other than the name branding it has nothing in common with Bluetooth serial that all the cheap scan tools use, and the revision number is kind of bullshit since 4 can be missing some of the features of 3. iOS does BLE and there are some scan tools that are setup for that.

If you're buying a new one I'd go with the scantool.net version. It has some additional features that should futureproof it

fishEH

Jan 26, 2009
Lake Villa, IL
Should work fine. I use TorquePro as well.
In addition to checking codes you'll want to check the Emissions Readiness. That will tell you if all the monitors have cycled and are reporting OK, or if the guy cleared the CEL right before you arrived. If he cleared it you'll want to drive it until the monitors set and then see if any CEL's pop up.

Longtallsally

Nov 28, 2016
UT
Yep. I'm aware of a good bit of this, but just wanted to confirm before doing it.

Everyone's input is correct, iOS doesn't play well with BT stuff, so wifi is the best option. I've spoken with the lead developer (actually the owner of OBD Fusion- really cool guy) and talked about a lot of it at length and actually worked with OEMs in my career in getting an enterprise level solution in place. Basically getting the keys to the castle in them providing the proprietary PIDs without having to reverse engineer. It's very cool stuff.

I've just never had a British machine before and as with my older BMWs wanted to make sure the electrical system wouldn't go boom by hooking up an outsider.

Thanks for all the input.

Longtallsally

Nov 28, 2016
UT
OBD Fusion worked perfect for the 500 mile drive home. Gave me battery voltage, instant economy (if you can call it that), and coolant temp. I still need to check if I can get oil pressure or temp, but it definitely was nice to have it for extra peace of mind during the long drive. I got readings from the O2 sensors a well. I'll monkey with it some more, but definitely am happy with what I got.