DiscoWeb Message Boards

Go Back   DiscoWeb Message Boards > DiscoWeb Non-Technical Boards > Camping

Old 08-28-2017, 05:18 PM   #26
jhmover

Default Re: Sleeping bag focus group questionnaire

[QUOTE=Tugela;902053]

What kind of sleeping bag do you use now? North Face synthetic mummy bag rated at 0 degrees fahrenheit. I spent about $150 on it about 22 years ago. It's great unless it's hot and if so I sleep on top of it if it gets chilly in the morning I'll just pull it over me.

What is the coldest outside temperature in which you normally camp? Normally the 30's to 60's. I have used it at zero degrees sleeping in an old army tent on top of a slab of granite because the asshole guide said they had cots and they didn't. I do like having a good bag in case of emergency like my Rover breaks down in the middle of Nevada in winter.

If you were going to buy a new sleeping bag, how important are the following factors in making your choice?

(a) Weight. Doesn't matter much but even though I car camp smaller is better to fit in the car.

(b) Comfort.

Do you like a narrow mummy bag? One with some wiggle room is nice.
Do you prefer room for moving or storing extra clothing inside? Room enough to stuff fleece jacket or something around my feet if it's really cold.
Do you like having a hood or not? I like the hood.

(c) Durability. Do you want to buy a sleeping bag that will actually last you 20 years? Mine's lasted 22 so far. But I don't backpack and sleep in the back of the car or a tent so it doesn't get much abuse.

Do you want a bag that you can just throw on the ground, might get trampled by your dog, or you can use to pad a tree when winching? Would be nice but again not really important.

(d) Sharing. I have no need for sharing. Wife's in menopause. She'd blast me out of the thing with hot flashes.

(e) Price. I'd spend up to $300 for a good bag. Again I'm not going to Mr. Everest.

(f) Country of origin. United States.

Would you be willing to spend more money on a sleeping bag if it was made in the USA? Yes as long as it's not ridiculous.

(g) Color. I don't care what color it is. Dark would be OK. You'll sell more if they're camouflage with 20 outside pockets for storage and you call it tactical.

(h) Water resistance.

How much do you care if your sleeping bag will stay dry? A lot.

One that came with a waterproof/resistant bag you could use when needed would be nice.

(i) Try before you buy? Not really important.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:09 PM   #27
Blue

Member Trucks
Default Re: Sleeping bag focus group questionnaire

I still haven't gotten my zipper fixed.