DiscoWeb Message Boards
 

Go Back   DiscoWeb Message Boards > DiscoWeb Non-Technical Boards > General

General General BS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 02-01-2018, 05:22 PM
seanmcd seanmcd is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue View Post
Headliner looks great. I have to get off my ass someday and replace my headliner with black.

Thank you!

Like ALL things in life, the first time is the hardest. After you know how it comes down and goes back up it really is pretty easy. The hardest part is removing the foam from the headliner shell. After that it's just time and patience gluing the fabric back on and then put everything back together. I also has a slight leak from my sunroof drain and took care of that while it was apart.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 02-01-2018, 09:44 PM
4Runner's Avatar
4Runner 4Runner is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Boise Idaho
Posts: 316
Member Trucks
For what it is worth. Buy great glue. Over the top great glue. I ran out 2/3 of the way through my headliner and grabbed a can from NAPA. It was not the same, and harder to work with. I think the black is a great choice.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 02-02-2018, 08:40 AM
seanmcd seanmcd is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Runner View Post
For what it is worth. Buy great glue. Over the top great glue. I ran out 2/3 of the way through my headliner and grabbed a can from NAPA. It was not the same, and harder to work with. I think the black is a great choice.
I bought the headliner package from Headliner Express, they send you enough headliner material and 2 cans of what I assume to be high quality spray glue. One point for anyone trying this is to be VERY careful when spraying the glue on the headliner or shell, it comes out in odd floating streams and if it gets on your headliner it is WHITE, so with a black headliner it shows. Trust me on this one.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 02-02-2018, 11:34 AM
chris snell's Avatar
chris snell chris snell is offline
NW5W
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Kansas
Posts: 2,881
Member Trucks
WTF, Discoweb.
__________________
Munchausen by Proxy Syndrome, Land Rover
87 ex-MOD D110
13 LR4

DiscoWeb in Utah 2012 / 2013
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 02-02-2018, 01:45 PM
seanmcd seanmcd is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 120
Here are the door panels with the black armrest area.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1577 (Large).jpg (198.0 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1578 (Large).jpg (194.4 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1580 (Large).jpg (197.4 KB, 56 views)
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 02-09-2018, 04:32 PM
seanmcd seanmcd is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 120
I finally finished the truck, the rear bumper came in and that was the last major thing to do. Here are a few pics of the finished truck, along with my day job. I am still undecided on the black roof, I have extra vinyl wrap and will give it a few months to see if it grows on me, if not I will wrap the roof with the same Charcoal Matte and put the roof bars back on. Time will tell.

Still not bad for a 14 year old truck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1644 (Large).jpg (190.6 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1646 (Large).jpg (195.4 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1648 (Large).jpg (183.4 KB, 40 views)
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 02-09-2018, 04:33 PM
seanmcd seanmcd is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 120
A few more.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1649 (Large).jpg (177.7 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1650 (Large).jpg (160.1 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1643 (Large).jpg (187.5 KB, 22 views)
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 02-09-2018, 04:35 PM
seanmcd seanmcd is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 120
And my other truck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1639 (Large).jpg (144.8 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1640 (Large).jpg (196.5 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1642 (Large).jpg (192.1 KB, 68 views)
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 02-09-2018, 04:59 PM
Blue's Avatar
Blue Blue is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: AZ
Posts: 8,196
Member Trucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanmcd View Post
Here are the door panels with the black armrest area.
What material did you use for the black fabric? I've had my door panels off plenty of times but I've never looked closely at those fabric-covered sections. Do those sections remove easily? I might get some fabric and try pulling/gluing it on myself.
__________________
Blue
2004 D2
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 02-09-2018, 05:00 PM
Blue's Avatar
Blue Blue is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: AZ
Posts: 8,196
Member Trucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanmcd View Post
And my other truck.
Very nice!
__________________
Blue
2004 D2
Reply With Quote
  #61  
Old 02-11-2018, 10:17 AM
seanmcd seanmcd is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue View Post
What material did you use for the black fabric? I've had my door panels off plenty of times but I've never looked closely at those fabric-covered sections. Do those sections remove easily? I might get some fabric and try pulling/gluing it on myself.
I had a local boat upholsterer guy do it as I really didn't know what to use either. He used a sort of headliner material, it is a fabric not vinyl, but has a pretty soft texture. The guy told me it is pretty easy EXCEPT for the edge where it ends, he said it is very hard to make that look right. For mine he made a small welt around the edge, it looks really good in my opinion.

Those sections don't really "remove", what you have to do it peel the suede cover off and under that is a thin layer of foam that needs to be removed, much like the headliner. In my case it was worth it as I had put so much time into the headliner and wanted it to match and look good.

You can also use fabric paint, it looks really good but when it dries is has a rough texture, it is not very soft.
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 02-16-2018, 02:03 PM
Shiftonthefly1 Shiftonthefly1 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 420
You have any experience with just wrapping in clear vinyl? I'd like to protect the current pain I have from the inevitable desert pinstripes that happen here. I'd really consider doing a matte clear finish too.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 02-27-2018, 07:59 PM
seanmcd seanmcd is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiftonthefly1 View Post
You have any experience with just wrapping in clear vinyl? I'd like to protect the current pain I have from the inevitable desert pinstripes that happen here. I'd really consider doing a matte clear finish too.

Sorry I really have very little experience in vinyl, this was my first time wrapping anything.

I gave the satin black roof a month or so and couldn't get warm to it, so I pulled it back in the garage and wrapped it in Matte Charcoal Gray like the rest of the car. While I was at it I also put the roof bars back on, I like this look much better.

I have the new rear bumper installed and replaced the lights in the bumper. I honestly don't know what the red half of the light does, so I wired them into the brake lights so I have 5 rear brake lights for my 16 year old daughter. I also replaced all the 1156 and 1157 bulbs with projectile LED bulbs, much brighter.

So here it is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1834 (Large).jpg (203.0 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1832 (Large).jpg (204.2 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1827 (Large).jpg (206.7 KB, 56 views)
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 03-02-2018, 05:15 PM
DiscoTech's Avatar
DiscoTech DiscoTech is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Side of the road....
Posts: 347
Member Trucks
Definitely looks better with the matching roof!! The whole thing really does look awesome though, good job!
__________________
Paralyze resistance with persistence.
Woody Hayes
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 03-02-2018, 06:50 PM
seanmcd seanmcd is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoTech View Post
Definitely looks better with the matching roof!! The whole thing really does look awesome though, good job!
Thank you, I really appreciate that. A lot of time and work went into it and I am really happy how it turned out. I also concur about the roof, I really didn't like the black roof but my wife and kid did so I kept it, though most likely she was sick of me spending every waking moment in the garage and just wanted it done so you know.

Wrapping the roof was pretty easy, I learned alot from wrapping the rest of it and time is experience, it came out pretty clean with just a few wrinkles only the birds can see.

Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 03-02-2018, 09:02 PM
jim-00-4.6's Avatar
jim-00-4.6 jim-00-4.6 is offline
Keyboard Pounder II
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Genesee, CO USA
Posts: 1,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanmcd View Post
I honestly don't know what the red half of the light does, so I wired them into the brake lights so I have 5 rear brake lights for my 16 year old daughter.
Where they the rear fog lamps?
__________________
Jim

Do sharks complain about Monday? No.
They're up early, biting shit, chasing stuff, being scary,
reminding everyone that they are a fucking shark.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 03-05-2018, 02:03 PM
seanmcd seanmcd is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim-00-4.6 View Post
Where they the rear fog lamps?
Probably, I can't really see a use for rear fog lights. I could not get them to turn on no matter what I did but the bulbs worked so I just wired them into brake lights and installed some super bright LED bulbs, win/win.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 03-26-2018, 04:50 AM
bnmack1 bnmack1 is offline
Still Junior
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Ga
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanmcd View Post
Sorry I really have very little experience in vinyl, this was my first time wrapping anything.

I gave the satin black roof a month or so and couldn't get warm to it, so I pulled it back in the garage and wrapped it in Matte Charcoal Gray like the rest of the car. While I was at it I also put the roof bars back on, I like this look much better.

I have the new rear bumper installed and replaced the lights in the bumper. I honestly don't know what the red half of the light does, so I wired them into the brake lights so I have 5 rear brake lights for my 16 year old daughter. I also replaced all the 1156 and 1157 bulbs with projectile LED bulbs, much brighter.

So here it is.
Very clean looking rig! Good job! I dig the new bumper.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 03-26-2018, 10:46 AM
jim-00-4.6's Avatar
jim-00-4.6 jim-00-4.6 is offline
Keyboard Pounder II
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Genesee, CO USA
Posts: 1,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanmcd View Post
Probably, I can't really see a use for rear fog lights. I could not get them to turn on no matter what I did but the bulbs worked so I just wired them into brake lights and installed some super bright LED bulbs, win/win.
Follow a car in serious fog. Like pea fucking soup, can't see 100 feet fog.
1 car will have no lights visible from behind, since their vehicle has DRLs, which idiotically lights the dash so the asswipe driver has no fucking idea they're running in the dark, but nothing on the back of the car. You'll not even see it until you practically hit it.
1 car will have only park lights visible, unless they hit the brakes. Park lights only is better than nothing, but in heavy fog, you still get pretty close before you see them.
Rear fogs are like brake lights, much more visible.

Some cars have rear fogs that come on with the front fogs, which is ok, except for the weiners that always drive with their front fog lights on.
Rear fog lights, used correctly, are useful so people behind you see you before they turn you into a hood ornament.
Same rationale as using lights in the rain. You can't see any better, but others can see you better.
__________________
Jim

Do sharks complain about Monday? No.
They're up early, biting shit, chasing stuff, being scary,
reminding everyone that they are a fucking shark.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 03-26-2018, 04:05 PM
Blueboy's Avatar
Blueboy Blueboy is offline
Keyboard Pounder II
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Back in the USA; Rockwood, PA
Posts: 1,870
Member Trucks
Quote:
Rear fog lights, used correctly, are useful so people behind you see you before they turn you into a hood ornament.
Yep, had to have rear fog hooked up in the RRC to pass the Swiss inspection.

Seperate switch powers it.

Pretty sure the rear fog light is only on the driver side, yet, not sure as haven't use the switch since we're back in the US.

And yes, very annoying to see them on with cars that have them wired to be on with the front fogs.

Of course having fog lights being used just to be cool is also lame.
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 03-27-2018, 09:30 AM
jim-00-4.6's Avatar
jim-00-4.6 jim-00-4.6 is offline
Keyboard Pounder II
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Genesee, CO USA
Posts: 1,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueboy View Post
Pretty sure the rear fog light is only on the driver side, yet, not sure as haven't use the switch since we're back in the US.
Speaking of lights only on one side...
Parking lights in England.
You can set left side or right side lights on when you're parked.
Let's say I park my car on the right shoulder of the road, so the nearest traffic is on my left.
Do I turn on the lights on my left side or my right side?
Why not both sides?
Never had a clear understanding of that.
__________________
Jim

Do sharks complain about Monday? No.
They're up early, biting shit, chasing stuff, being scary,
reminding everyone that they are a fucking shark.
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 03-27-2018, 12:57 PM
Blue's Avatar
Blue Blue is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: AZ
Posts: 8,196
Member Trucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim-00-4.6 View Post
Speaking of lights only on one side...
Parking lights in England.
You can set left side or right side lights on when you're parked.
Let's say I park my car on the right shoulder of the road, so the nearest traffic is on my left.
Do I turn on the lights on my left side or my right side?
Why not both sides?
Never had a clear understanding of that.
Illuminate the side that's next to the traffic lane. Don't waste battery power on the curb side lights.
__________________
Blue
2004 D2
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 03-28-2018, 10:56 AM
jim-00-4.6's Avatar
jim-00-4.6 jim-00-4.6 is offline
Keyboard Pounder II
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Genesee, CO USA
Posts: 1,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanmcd View Post
And my other truck.
For all the cunts that refer to their Land Rover as a "rig", please see photo for difference between "Land Rover" and "rig".
__________________
Jim

Do sharks complain about Monday? No.
They're up early, biting shit, chasing stuff, being scary,
reminding everyone that they are a fucking shark.
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 03-30-2018, 03:45 PM
seanmcd seanmcd is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim-00-4.6 View Post
Follow a car in serious fog. Like pea fucking soup, can't see 100 feet fog.
1 car will have no lights visible from behind, since their vehicle has DRLs, which idiotically lights the dash so the asswipe driver has no fucking idea they're running in the dark, but nothing on the back of the car. You'll not even see it until you practically hit it.
1 car will have only park lights visible, unless they hit the brakes. Park lights only is better than nothing, but in heavy fog, you still get pretty close before you see them.
Rear fogs are like brake lights, much more visible.

Some cars have rear fogs that come on with the front fogs, which is ok, except for the weiners that always drive with their front fog lights on.
Rear fog lights, used correctly, are useful so people behind you see you before they turn you into a hood ornament.
Same rationale as using lights in the rain. You can't see any better, but others can see you better.
I agree with your comments, if I were keeping the car for myself and lived anywhere but South Florida I would have tried harder to keep the fog lights. However where we live fog is not an issue, my biggest concern is the 2 million 90 year old blue hairs driving around town in their little convertibles trying to learn how to use their fucking iphone. I worry about my kid getting rear ended by a car and if I can put two more very bright brake lights down on the same level as 90% of the cars around here I felt that was a better use of those lights for my current situation.

However I agree having all the lights you can to keep people from hitting you has significantly value. I taught all of my kids that the second thing they do after buckling their seatbelt is turn their headlights on and they stay on until they turn the key off.
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 03-30-2018, 06:58 PM
Dangeruss Dangeruss is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanmcd View Post
I also replaced all the 1156 and 1157 bulbs with projectile LED bulbs, much brighter.
Bond, James Bond.

Headliner looks great, need to do the same to mine with the same colour scheme, thanks for the pics and tips.
__________________
'04 D2 SE7 (x2)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LR OEM front rotors - black paint type stuff on them? grips03 Discovery - Technical Discussions 5 01-30-2011 02:19 PM
WTB '03-'04 Disco Wrap Around Brush Guard meltdowndave Parts Wanted 1 07-24-2008 08:47 PM
Matte black paint job clt8981 Discovery - Technical Discussions 29 03-31-2008 12:37 PM
2 paint ?s: any success w/vinyl interior paint/dye 2) whose black for exterior paint? BlackAndTan Discovery - Technical Discussions 1 07-29-2007 03:00 PM
99 Disco Wrap Around Brush Guard durangomike Parts Wanted 3 06-16-2005 02:57 PM

» Log in
User Name Not a member yet?
Register Now!
Password
» Today's Birthdays
nelson845 (55)
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 2000 - 2015, DiscoWeb.org. All rights reserved.

Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.