No spark.... sometimes

Cptbrd33

Aug 24, 2017
Kentucky
98 Disco
Ok Here goes

I'm having a startup issue. Sometimes, becoming more frequent, the engine will crank and spin but not fire. When this happens I don't see any spark when i test my plug (screwdriver test). I can try for 5 minutes (turning the ignition all the way off and back on between attempts) with no luck and then for no reason at all the engine will start right up with no problem. Sometimes when it starts it sounds like crap but usually it just purrs like normal. I have replaced the plugs, wires, coil pack, crank positioning sensor, fuel pump, fuel filter. I THINK that removing the battery cable between starting attempts speeds up the process but I haven't been trying that long enough to know for sure.

Here in Kentucky the best answer I get from the good'ol boys is I should replace engine with a small block chevy... I can only assume there is an electronic problem somewhere but I've got no British good'ol boys in these parts. Seems like the battery trick resets something electrical but I'm absolutely no mechanic. Just a fix it guy

Va_Disco

Dec 22, 2014
Hampton Roads, Va.
I was having this problem, I replaced the multi function unit. it is located between the charcoal canister and the washer fluid bottle. it is black and rectangle has two plugs on the bottom. disconnect it and reconnect it. I swapped mine but then tried the old one again and it worked. perhaps there is a reset on the inside or a relay may be getting stuck. I hope this helps you.

Va_Disco

Dec 22, 2014
Hampton Roads, Va.
I would find a spare or get one from a lower miles truck so you have a back up. no telling how long that solution will work. Glad it is working. I fought that problem for a couple months. got stranded a few times at the worst moments ( like after buying ice cream on a 100 deg day and truck not starting for 45 min)

Cptbrd33

Aug 24, 2017
Kentucky
Good idea. I've got a Land Rover graveyard at my disposal about 20 minutes up the road so picking up another for $35 is a fantastic plan.

Cptbrd33

Aug 24, 2017
Kentucky
Now it has started doing it again.... still no rhyme or reason.... getting pretty aggravated ����