lifters..... hydrolic or solid rollers?

Loki3006

Sep 3, 2017
Dublin, Georgia. USA
Ok, 2003 Disco II with 128000 miles. front and rear seals are leaking and hav an anoying tick! solution i feel is to pull the whole thing and go through it all the way.i have been contemplating going to a solid roller lifter and cam. mainly due to all the issues these have with hydro lifters. is this a sound idea or should i just stick with replacing the hydro lifters?

robertf

Jan 22, 2006
-
Horrible idea

1.There is no issue Ive heard of with hydraulic lifters on these trucks
2. Roller cams are very expensive
3. Roller cam profiles are very different compared to flat lifter profiles. Since you have a 5200 rpm limited truck and not a race car youll be in uncharted waters when determining cam specs
4. Solid lifters require adjustments multiple times a year. That means removing the valve covers after warming up the engine. Thats just not practical and maybe even impossible on a efi rover block

mearstrae

Mar 15, 2017
Pennsylvania
If you think your tick is annoying, you've never run a solid lifter cam. Plus this conversion would cost several thousand dollars. I've heard of Rover cams getting tired (worn cam lobes) but not the lifers. Maybe an aftermarket hydraulic cam and kit would be the way to go. But then an exhaust leak can make a ticking sound, as well as a head gasket blown to the outside perimeter of the head.

JohnnoK

Mar 19, 2017
Cape Town, South Africa
Plus the noise probably isn't the lifters...
What he says....
Check all your exhaust manifold studs first. They sound deceptively like a dead lifter, sometimes.
Another issue could be the cam has rounded a lobe off, it is reasonably common.
A new cam, timing gear and lifters with the correct running in and you are good to go.