Is this MAF bad?

BDM

May 23, 2005
OR
I've got the classic symptoms of rough idle. Also still experiencing a bit of hesitation like I'm lifting my foot on and off throttle when under acceleration around 2k rpm. Occasionally it will stall at a light.

I've googled all sorts of stuff on this so I realize it could be anything from the plugs, wires to TPS etc. The one caveat I have is that it was running pretty good a few months which makes me think it's something not related to plugs, wires or rotors.

I've included a picture of the MAF. You'll see the bottom right mesh is frayed and detached from the housing. I wasn't sure if the mesh was the sensory part?

Thanks in advance!

kk88rrc

It's just a screen. You could probably source a replacement from one of the parts guys.

The hesitation at 2k rpm is most likely a flat spot on your TPS. You can test it with your meter.
Stalling may be a dirt stepper (IACV).

BDM

May 23, 2005
OR
Thanks. This thing is getting a little frustrating. Sometimes it runs great. Most of the time like absolute shit tho.

I'll get a meter on the TPS.

jims95

Apr 20, 2004
Upland, California
For your consideration.

1995 RRC SWB (14CUX engine management) with 228K miles, a year ago. Idle very unstable, especially in Drive. Hesitation in throttle response. Stalling sometimes when coming to a stop.

Replaced MAF last summer with a new one. A few months latter, idle was getting worse, throttle hesitation was still there, and would intermittently stall in Drive at a stop. Checked with a vacuum gage and 12 to 13 In/Hg (should be 15 to 17 In/Hg). This reading indicated a possible vacuum leak. Used the starting fluid method with the engine running, but could not find the leak (the rpm is supposed to increase when the starting fluid gets sucked in). Performed a "smoke test", and found that the vacuum leak was from the seal on the throttle shaft, next to the return spring on the backside of the intake manifold. Using the starting fluid method again confirmed the vacuum leak (the rpm did increase when the starting fluid was sucked into the Plenum).

Disassembled the intake manifold, and removed the throttle shaft and butterfly. The seal on the throttle shaft had no lubrication on it, so it was hard and brittle. I did not find a seal on the Throttle Position Sensor side of the throttle shaft. A parts catalog from the now defunct Gold Coast Rovers show that there should be a seal on both sides of the throttle shaft, part number AUD3577. Initially, I could not find this part number from Land Rover parts suppliers in the USA. They were available from England, but pricey. I searched online for this seal and ordered four (4) seals from Engel Imports (Kalamazoo, Michigan), just incase I destroyed a seal during installation.

http://www.englishparts.com/productSearch.aspx?searchTerm=AUD3577

I also checked to make sure that the throttle shaft and bushing were not worn out before reassembly. Thankfully, they were fine , and I did not have to search for replacement parts for these.

The RAVE manual instructs to use LGMT3 specification grease. I found SKF Bearing Grease LGMT3/0.4 at a local bearing house. This grease is thicker than other greases you can find at auto parts suppliers. This grease has rust inhibiting, and high oxidation stability characteristics.

I reassembled with the new seals, and grease per the RAVE Manual. Put the intake manifold back together.

Started the engine, set the base idle, set the timing, and checked with a vacuum gage. 15 In/Hg was the new reading, and idle was much better, throttle hesitation was gone, and the stalling in drive was gone.

Hope this might help somebody.

P.S. This could seal could be common on a GEMS or THOR engine management engine as well.

BDM

May 23, 2005
OR
Great info, Jim. I did the basic vacuum test with carb cleaner and it seems like there's a leak coming from the bottom of plenum. Hooking up a smoke machine to see where exactly it is.

Thanks again for the info.