94 RR seat motors - repair/replacement?

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
I'm going to take a look at a 1994 LWB on Saturday. Current owner says the seat motors are problematic. Is this a part that is readily available on the used market for replacement? Is it a pain in the ass to fix? Search found an interesting thread on UK companies that remanufacture seat ECUs, but I don't know yet if that's the problem. Inoperable power seats is a deal breaker for my wife.

Nomar

Apr 23, 2004
Virginia
Personally, I've only experience the seat ECU fail and switches get wonky.
I've not had a motor actually quit.

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
The seat on my 1990 RRC was stuck in place. I only made a cursory effort to fix it because it was stuck in a setting that was perfect for me. If I'm going to have any shot at convincing my wife to go along with the purchase I need to know how easy/hard it will be to address the problem. Seeing it in person will provide me with some more info.

Blueboy

Apr 20, 2004
Back in the USA; Rockwood, PA
As Nomar mentioned, I've only experienced the ECU Problem. And never have read any where about the Motors themselves not working. My guess it is the seat switches that are his problem.

kk88rrc

x3 on seat switches.... if it does turn out to be a motor issue, they are not hard to pull once you have the seat out. I would guess you could find them on the used market. I have some from an '88 but not sure on the compatibility.

Just use that issue as part of your negotiation for a lower price!

dpreston

Jul 13, 2015
Colorado
as the others said 99% switches. take them apart clean them re grease and install. 30-45 minutes worth of work and they usually work like new. switches in the classics are terrible

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
You definitely don't want it. Let me spare you the suffering and frustration it will doubtlessly cause you and take it off your hands. I can meet you in Everett next week...

4Runner

May 24, 2007
Boise Idaho
I spent today hot wiring the seats to get them in a better position, tightening the slop in the steering box, cleaning, lubrication and generally going thru things. I like your idea about meeting in Everett. I am thrilled you're going to take it. It will be the best 7k you've spent in a while. When were you thinking?? Lol. Probably should meet up for a beer somewhere. In all seriousness I have been looking for a LWB for a while too. Either I am stuck at work or it's in Portland or it's $7000.00 +. I feel your pain. This one wasn't as pretty as I would have liked ( looked better in the Picts ) but he did have records of some solid upgrades that made it worth it for me. Not having my kids kick me in the back while I am driving being one of them. Did you look at that white one in south Seattle a few weeks back?