Coil pack sockets - relocating coils

Jeff Blake

May 6, 2016
Pacific Beach, San Diego
Pulled the upper intake off today (bolts were finger tight, no wonder my vacuum pressure is at 13Hg...)

Lost the coil pack bolts of course, finally brought out the borescope after 15 mins to help the magnet find it.

Since I have a/c deleted, I had a bright idea to relocate the coil packs to the a/c bracket.

Bracket is easy enough to fab.. a plate and a couple angle brackets
Wires might not even need changing

I'm just not sure what to do about the engine harness plugs. Quickest solution is to cut the plugs off, add wire extensions and solder them in. I'm not a very experienced solder-er, but I can do it. I usually crimp, but crimping doesn't feel right in this case.

Or I can find the right connectors and extend the harness.

Research says they are "JPT" connectors, but from googling there are apparently many kinds of JPT connectors.. and other land rover forum members had tried many and they don't fit right.

So what are the right plugs or should I just cut the plugs off and solder? Is there any electrical sorcery going on with these plugs - (e.g. how are 3 wires controlling 4 spark plugs?)

JUKE179r

Sep 14, 2016
Suffolkshire, UK
Spark plug cables are easy to make on your own.

I come form an aircraft maintenance background so might be thinking to much on this but... The thing about the the coil pack relocation is you need to keep it centered on the engine so the spark cables all have the same length on both sides for spark. The coil pack relocation kit I've seen on ebay (and no offense to the manufacturer) doesn't make sense to me. You have to position the coli pack to the front right of the engine between the alternator and battery. This leaves about 2 feet of spark plug cables on one side allows for less resistance (better) and about 8 feet (exaggerating) on the other side allows for more resistance (worse). Ideally you'd want to keep them short as possible.

ezzzzzzz

Apr 22, 2010
SE Va
Spark plug wires are never the same length. The amount of resistance from one foot to three foot is a non-issue assuming everything is is working order. I actually considered this and even made the extension cables for the coil pack (they're still here unused). I was going to mount where the ACE pump would sit since I like air conditioning. Reality was the space was limited and the few times I would need to access the coil pack didn't justify the trouble. Even with SAI piping the coilpack access is not terrible.

Jeff Blake

May 6, 2016
Pacific Beach, San Diego
I agree access is not too bad. But if one is ever in the situation of diagnosing a misfire or something, it would sure be nicer to have those cool packs in the front.

You made extensions? Where did you get the male plug?

I’m going to go ahead and cut off the connectors today and wire in extensions. Not keen on spending weeks trying to find a asutable male connector. All I have on hand is 16 gauge wire... good enough?

robertf

Jan 22, 2006
-
theres some toyota v6 that has coil on plug one side and 3 ft long plug wires to the other in a waste spark config.

I'm hung up on the compressor delete.

ezzzzzzz

Apr 22, 2010
SE Va
I'll have to revisit the connectors to find the source. I think I pulled the p/n off the connector and web searched for it.

Jeff Blake

May 6, 2016
Pacific Beach, San Diego
Alright I nearly finished today. Just have to do the spark plugs - crossing fingers that my current wires will fit. It's pretty darn close to center

Didn't buy anything, just used scrap laying around. A year ago I bought like 5 of every kind of bracket on Mcmaster.. best decision of my life

Cut plugs from harness
Soldered in 16 AWG extensions. Vinyl wrap first to keep adhesive off wires, then wrapped it in Tesa engine harness tape. Ziptied to the fuel injector wire harness
Quick and dirty mounting plate + angle brackets

So far it's wonderful not having those coils in the back. I think I can even get to the fuel rail test port now