Swap Out Oil Sump?

ME Island

A dreaded Previous Owner moment unfolded when I changed the oil in my ?97 Discovery 1. As I unscrewed the drain plug a helicoil came out with the plug.

I have a new oil pan with drain plug, gasket and copper washer. I want to know if I can just drain the oil, unbolt the old pan and install in a new one from underneath the Discovery without removing any steering links? Can I just drop the oil sump and install the new one?

I?ve been told to be careful of a strainer screen that sticks down from the front cover. Is there anything else I need to be concerned about?

Thanks, and Happy Thanksgiving to everyone.

Jeff

ezzzzzzz

Apr 22, 2010
SE Va
You'll have to unbolt the anti-sway bar from the chassis and swing it down for the pan to clear for removal. Pay attention as it will drop and smack you in the head if you're not careful once the last bolt is removed. The pickup sits down through a windage tray in the pan but it isn't easily damaged when wiggling things to get it clear. I find jacking up the truck and supporting it on the chassis rails so the front axle drops provides a lot more room for this task. NO working underneath with only a jack but you'd probably know this tidbit of info from your EMT services.

ME Island

All these comments imply it’s a lot easier job if I can get it on a lift to drop the front axle. That’s means I’ve got to wait for the local garage to have an opening. Sigh....oh, well, NOT something to worry about on my Series II-A :).

Thanks, everyone!

Jeff

AbnMike

Apr 6, 2016
Western Slope, CO
All these comments imply it?s a lot easier job if I can get it on a lift to drop the front axle. That?s means I?ve got to wait for the local garage to have an opening. Sigh....oh, well, NOT something to worry about on my Series II-A :).

Thanks, everyone!

Jeff

Huh? No.

I removed mine in my driveway. As noted above you just need to drop the anti sway bar which is four bolts.

Drive the front wheels onto ramps or use jack stands.

Blueboy

Apr 20, 2004
Back in the USA; Rockwood, PA
You might think about using right stuff instead of the gasket, especially if you got the cork one.

If going this route, suggest using it on the pan side against the cork gasket and only the gasket against the engine.

Will make removing the pan easier down the road.