1986 110 RHD 3 Door 4.2L V8 automatic

RhinoRover

Sep 13, 2016
Palmer Lake
For sale or trade. $17,000 obo

Okay, if you guys don't want a 110 on this site then please remove, but thought that I would list it here just in case. I'm on the fence about selling it, but one less Rover in the garage would allow me to restore my Series IIa. There's nothing special about these doors :) but it is a special Rover because it's straight and rust free and has a 4.2L engine and automatic transmission so your significant other can drive it. I tried to describe it the best I could below:

Straight, clean, powerful and rust free Land Rover Defender 110 from South Africa! Fully galvanized chassis and bulkhead. 114,000 miles on the chassis and 83,000 miles on the drivetrain. Recent upgraded drivetrain includes but not limited to a 4.2L V8 fuel injected engine, 4 speed automatic transmission and transfer case. It passes local Denver emission standards with ease. Here in Colorado you really want a V8 if you're concerned with keeping highway speeds. It will cruise HWY speeds and more all day long with ease. It's excellent off road, too. It's ready for paint or leave as is and enjoy driving this awesome truck!

Body:
Radiator surround and support panel are excellent. Front wings are very good with slight concaved top panels where you lean on to work inside the engine bay. Hood is excellent with what looks like a couple of ding repairs from the prior owner. Bulkhead is very good condition, no rust or corrosion, only a small dent from the drivers door being opened to far. Windscreen frame is very good, no rust/corrosion. Front doors are good with just a tiny bit of aluminum corrosion showing on the exterior bottoms. I think the door bottoms had been repaired in the past with fiberglass. It was done very well. Front floors and seatbox are very good with only a tiny, tiny bit of surface rust near the battery. Rear tub is very good and straight, no rust/corrosion. Rear tub has the typical rear corner damage on the drivers side but it was slight and has since been repaired with some bondo by prior owner. Rear door is very good, no rust/corrosion. The top is very good with no rust/corrosion. There is one plexi glass replacement panel fitted on one of the sliding windows from the prior owner. It seems to never have been used as a truck because it?s pretty much dent free.

Chassis:
Original and untouched. Galvanized and in excellent condition.

Suspension:
Axles are original and in good shape and work as they should. Springs and shocks are older but they ride nice and support the truck properly with a slight rake downward in the front. Tires are new BFG KO2s and the rims are like new. I am getting a slight and hard to hear squeal from the front right wheel when turning to the left. I?m not sure what it?s coming from, yet.

Drivetrain:
I disassembled a 1994 RRC LWB with 80,000 miles for its original 4.2L and automatic tansmission and Borg Warner transfer case to install into this truck. It runs very smoothly, effortlessly, and quietly as it should with only 80,000 miles. I have since driven 3,000 miles without a single problem. I installed new engine and transmission mounts, radiators, filters and fluids.

Interior:
Headliner is excellent and covers the entire roof. I installed used cloth seats to replace the old blak colored vinyl seat that were separating at the seams (still have them). Door panels are in poor condition but functional. I have the dash and it looks good when installed but there is rust on the lower dash. I haven?t reinstalled it because I was going to design/make my own dash. Instruments are all new except the old fuel guage that works but is not currently installed.

Other:
New gas tank, pump and filter. I reused the gas lines from the RRC LWB which was a little hokey, but it works well. New power steering box, tie rod ends, steering damper, axle swivel boxes rebuilt (seals, bearings etc?no leaks!), rear and front driveshaft. I have all of the original equipment and more.

Immediate needs:
Brake light switch, engine oil change and one headlight.

I?m pretty firm on the asking price. I?m only selling because I?d like to get the Series IIa in the garage for a complete restoration. This 110 would make someone an excellent platform to easily complete the build or restoration without all of the headaches of surprises and rust. I?d keep it if I had interior space.

Please ask tons of questions and let me know if you need more photos.

Thanks,
Andy