Overheating after steep climb

p m

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 19, 2004
La Jolla, CA
www.3rj.org
I would also add that my problem started after a particularly grueling 1800 mile expedition out to Utah for two weeks of off roading in Canyonlands during which I admittedly was WAY overloaded with gear and that despite the issue the truck did manage to get me home and I was never left stranded, although I did have to nurse it a bit.
Funny you should mention that.
My white D1 blew a head gasket the morning upon the return from a 2500-mile trip to Colorado. This truck's engine has never overheated (at least, in my hands since 40kmi mark), and it hasn't even been remotely hot during the trip. But in the morning it started off clearly not on all cylinders. Drove it to work and back - eventually CEL lit up, but without a hint of overheating or pressurization of cooling system.
When I tore it apart (it was close to 250 kmi at that point), one head gasket clearly blew between two adjacent cylinders.

colvere

Sep 3, 2004
Filer, ID
Mine does the same thing If I have a long grade it will climb and start to over heat, but heater keeps it in normal range if on. I was going to do a leak down test for heads. Found a radiator shop near by that could pull tank and test existing radiator. I have never did the system burp after water pump replace.

glester

Jul 11, 2017
Seattle
I overheated my first D1 too many times to count. The headgaskets weren't the issue. It was the radiator but the fan clutch was worn too. I replaced all of the usual suspects before dropping in a aftermarket radiator. That solved the problem. As far as I know, that truck was still on the road many years later.

Ditto on this one. I replaced the fan clutch, thermostat, hoses and water pump before finally replacing the radiator (which finally fixed the issue).

glester

Jul 11, 2017
Seattle
I did have a "use or lose" credit with a company so I have a new radiator in the attic which will be going on just in case. The truck has never ever overheated in the past or even been above the normal line so I'm hoping it's not a HG but I guess all things go eventually.......as a troubleshooter it still seems odd it came on right after the climb but not the days of slow wheeling.

Replacing the radiator can be pretty expensive just for the fluids. If I were you, I'd do the other stuff at the same time (thermostat, water pump and might as well do hoses). Otherwise you drain the coolant for the radiator and then have to do the same if it's something else. When you do the radiator you also have to drain the oil while also plugging or at least partially draining the ATF (as far as I recall), due to the oil and ATF lines that go into the radiator.

Reactions: 1of40