Okay to Drive w/o Catback

Levi

Jul 27, 2004
Cheyenne, WY
I lost my exhaust on the interstate tonight. It broke off at the y-pipe. The hangar the must have broke when I changed the engine. Thankfully a guy waved me over before it caused big trouble. He was behind me and I heard the sound change but thought it was his truck.

Anyway, other than looking like a dipshit, is it okay to drive until I get a cat back shipped and installed? I was concerned about the heat. This is my only vehicle other than my work car which I'm not supposed to have my kids in.

XCELLER8

Sep 21, 2009
if the heat shield over the muffler is still there ....drive it like ya stole it.....you might want to avoid long periods of idling due to fumes in the truck......

robertf

Jan 22, 2006
-
That exhaust is still pretty hot. I've heard of plastic tanks melting from poorly routed exhaust exits. I would not drive it. Those fumes are no joke and that transmission tunnel plate isn't sealed other than pop rivets.

4Runner

May 24, 2007
Boise Idaho
If I had to drive it, I would at the very minimum fab up a down turned tip to direct the exhaust towards the pavement. When I lost my rear muffler it melted the plastic corner of my bumper and my lights in the bumper on that side. It's pretty hot coming out of the Y pipe.

jymmiejamz

Dec 5, 2004
Los Angeles, Ca
Can you not just rig something up to hole your exhaust in place? Maybe a coat hanger? You could even stop by a muffler shop and have it repaired. Exhaust work is surprisingly cheap in most cases. I wouldn't be driving around with kids in the back if the exhaust is exiting under the vehicle.

Levi

Jul 27, 2004
Cheyenne, WY
Thanks guys, I will just park it for now. I cut it and took it out last night so it's too late to try to hold it up. I don't know if I could have got it to hold in place. It broke right at the flange to the y-pipe.

DiscoTech

Nov 18, 2004
Side of the road....
If I had to drive it, I would at the very minimum fab up a down turned tip to direct the exhaust towards the pavement. When I lost my rear muffler it melted the plastic corner of my bumper and my lights in the bumper on that side. It's pretty hot coming out of the Y pipe.

What he said. A friend of mine is still running an open exhaust after I don't know how many years, with a downturn under the center of the truck.

Mike

Levi

Jul 27, 2004
Cheyenne, WY
It was warm down there when I cut it out last night. Just going to wait until I get a new exhaust in. It's frontier days here this week so I will definitely be stuck in some traffic. Anyone use the All Makes exhaust? I'm hoping it will be close to stock. Not really wanting the Flow Master/Magnaflow sound.

Last edited:

Levi

Jul 27, 2004
Cheyenne, WY
I ordered an All Makes exhaust from L8 and just have been using my work car. I drilled out the studs on the y pipe collar yesterday so I'm ready when it gets here. Holy hell that was a PITA.

-Got the All Makes exhaust in. The sound is really close to stock.

Last edited: