Anti-Virus etc. Software?

P

PCracer51

Twilsey said:
Also, try using a web browser other then Internet Explorer.... Fire Fox is the one I'm using right now, or try Opera. Many people who make viruses design it to break through the most common software, if you are running a less used web browser, there is a better chance that it will stop the virus.

I find just switching to Fire Fox stopped my virus and spyware problems almost all together, oh yea and I also am very impressed with AVG Anti-Virus. I have been using both of these programs for about 3 years and would go no other way. My .02

Most of the issues that attack IE and leave Oprea and Firefox alone come from the active X components, because as or right now its an MS only thing, so anything written to exploit it, and there are a few out there, don't have a way to interface with the other browsers.

Plus FF 2.0 has some nice features IE is missing, spell check + addins can give it a whole world of functionality.

antichrist

Sep 7, 2004
Atlanta, GA
Sophos is far and away the best and least resource intensive AV software. Unfortunately they don't really sell to the public. They will but it's around $190 for a 3 year subscription. They don't advertise much and you can't buy it retail.

P

PCracer51

antichrist said:
Sophos is far and away the best and least resource intensive AV software. Unfortunately they don't really sell to the public. They will but it's around $190 for a 3 year subscription. They don't advertise much and you can't buy it retail.
:eek: WOW, thats a new level of rape.

antichrist

Sep 7, 2004
Atlanta, GA
PCracer51 said:
:eek: WOW, thats a new level of rape.
Not really, you get what you pay for. I've been involved in deployment of AV software for quite a few years and I can tell you, you get what you pay for. Symantec is crap, both as a product and as a company (I can say this based on experience dealing with technical people as well as management at symantec). I've also dealt with technical people and management at Sophos. Sophos doesn't want to sell to individuals, so they price accordingly. However, any company that uses Sophos is encouraged to give free copies to employees.
The typical Symantec update is 5-7mb. Sophos is typically 1/2 mb or less. This is because they distribute sigs only, not all the dll's and shit Symantec ships out. Less is more.

Blue

Mar 26, 2004
AZ
Need recommendations for good antivirus software here in the year 2017.

The free trial period for McAfee on my new Lenovo laptop has expired.

This is my business laptop and my internet surfing is limited to typical news, dweb, ee, etc. and I stream talk radio through iheartradio.

Pretty simple shit, just want to keep the laptop clean.

ERover82

Nov 26, 2011
Darien Gap
Are you on Windows 10? It has built in antivirus that works well. Buying a product is a pointless. Virus makers have won the war.

CORover

Jun 11, 2007
Colorado, USA
Super antispyware and Malwarebytes both have free versions. These don't run in auto mode so they don't conflict. You can run multiples of those. I have used them for years and never had a problem. Run once a week or after visiting suspect sites or getting a warning.

For the AV, I run ESET, the AV only, not the whole security suite. Again, never had an infection and never been touched... I have run this both for home and many small businesses.

Of course all of this is useless if you don't keep your systems patched and up to date. You have to close the holes first or the security software can't work, it's too late.

I switched to Firefox as my primary browser for a lot of reasons and I have not gone back.

ERover82

Nov 26, 2011
Darien Gap
You can upgrade to Windows 10 for free by downloading an install disc. It'll accept your 7 key.
Beyond having Defender built in, it is a much more secure OS than previous versions.

Otherwise you can download the free Microsoft Security Essentials.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/14210/security-essentials-download

It's not the best, but it hardly worth the money to invest when like I said, the virus creators have won. The best you can do is put up a first line of defense.

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
The single program that I believe should be on every computer is Malwarebytes Premium.

Do that, and then worry about supplemental protection.

Cheers,

Kennith