AC recharge and oil volume

robertf

Jan 22, 2006
-
getting ready to refill the ac in the 95 D1 after replacing all the flex lines and repairing a broken hardline thanks to the external reservoir shock hoses sawing through it.

Does running the vacuum on an AC remove all of the remaining oil? Its low viscosity PAG something or other. Service manual calls its ND Oil-8. It was spewing all kinds of green stuff and clear-ish vapor and who knows what else from years of just topping it off with stuff that contained dye. All lines were removed and flushed with the aerosol ac flush. Condensor was flushed with AC flush. Didnt touch anything beyond the bulkhead fittings since since the can said don't flush the evaporator or expansion valve. Book says this:

Condenser .......................................................... 40ml
Evaporator .......................................................... 80ml
Pipe or hose ........................................................ 20ml
Receiver/drier ...................................................... 20ml

based on the crap flying out after 30 minutes of vacuum I'm thinking of going with the total quantity for the whole system, but I have no idea what pressure that oil boils at and internet isn't helping. Will the new drier be no good with a leak in the system if I dont touch it for 24 hours? Will vacuuming it for 30 minutes remove all moisture from the desicant? Its not holding vacuum. Pegs the negative number until the air is shut off to the vacuum, then goes to 0 almost immediately so going to partial charge it and use the electronic sniffer tomorrow and track down the leak. I suspect its an undersized o-ring. Spent a half hour at napa matching up the old ones as best I could, but they seem to be odd ball sized.

Also does the oil have to go in the compressor, or can I dump it all in the drier?

Leadvagas

Jun 10, 2010
Leadville CO
Generally speaking pulling a vacuum doesn't, shouldn't pull out the oil. The oil doesn't boil at any temp you can reach with out putting a torch on it. No amount of vacuum will remove moisture from a filter dryer, the water binds to the descant. I would add the oil on the discharge side of the compressor, normally the oil is distributed through out the system, you just don't want to slug the compressor with liquid oil on the suction side or it will brake something. A note on oil, it's like blood, most people see either and they assume there is a lot more there than there really is. an AC system doesn't need much, unless you have a puddle of oil on the ground I wouldn't add the whole amount called for.

JohnB

Oct 18, 2007
Oregon
Sure miss the old driers with the site glass. I'd replace the drier if its been open for a long time. Not fun when a drier implodes and send crap into the entire system.