Vibration upon acceleration/deceleration not druveshaft

Rover de land

Sep 15, 2012
Baton Rouge LA
I have been having a bad vibration for a while, I had an aftermarket driveshaft, I replaced it with new oem front driveshaft. Vibration is still there, though it seems to be worse now and at different speeds.

It is not the engine
I feel it in my seat at first then steering wheel then seat again
It's more of a front back steering vibration not left to right
Shop says tires are balanced and fine, they couldn't find anything.
Rear rotoflex looks fine,
Still does it in low on transfer case and any gear so it's not engine speed effected its driving speed.
I feel it upon acceleration or deceleration but if held at perfect cruise it's very minimum.

Any help?
03 discovery

mulisha00

It's a long shot and I don't know if the tcase is the same but I had a friends D1 that developed a vibe and it was the parking brake drum. When I took the rear drive-shaft off the drum was loose. Removed everything and she went away. Installed and put some locktight on the screw holding the drum in and it was fine afterwards.

Have you pulled each shaft and driven to rule out that?

Edit you have no way to lock your tcase. I don't have any advice other than remove and reinstall the parking brake drum to check for looseness.

Last edited:

Rover de land

Sep 15, 2012
Baton Rouge LA
mulisha00 said:
It's a long shot and I don't know if the tcase is the same but I had a friends D1 that developed a vibe and it was the parking brake drum. When I took the rear drive-shaft off the drum was loose. Removed everything and she went away. Installed and put some locktight on the screw holding the drum in and it was fine afterwards.

Have you pulled each shaft and driven to rule out that?

Edit you have no way to lock your tcase. I don't have any advice other than remove and reinstall the parking brake drum to check for looseness.

Thanks, yea I WISH I had a CDL, I plan on swapping one in after I fix this.

An idea I had, bare with me.. Put front or back on jack stands and make sure the vehicle cannot move, then remove the tc fuses, and spin her up to 30mph, with all the power going to the suspended wheels I should be able to diagnose wether it's front or back, and possibly even left to right..

mbrummal

Jan 23, 2009
Willow Spring, NC

Rover de land

Sep 15, 2012
Baton Rouge LA
mbrummal said:

No I never said anything about getting under it.

Anyways just got done doing this, front was easy just set parking break and pull abs fuses to disengauged tc, the rear however make sure the wheels are chocked GOOD, and please don't get under it.

Anyways my sound/vibration is Definatly coming from front. I'm going to next see if its on the left or right side. If it does it on both sides I know to look anywhere from center diff to front differential..

Big D

Mar 14, 2011
Canada
I second that. Guaranteed it's the mounts. If they are stock originals they are probably shot. Had similar issue and changed the mounts and problem got solved.

Its actually difficult to see if the mounts are bad just by looking at them. When I did mine it turns out both were completely separated.

Bosbefok

Jul 20, 2010
Orlando, FL
Under load the engine will put more stress on the mounts. Think about it, the mounts stop the engine from spinning in the engine bay, that and the tranny mounts.

Rover de land

Sep 15, 2012
Baton Rouge LA
Just can't see that being it, it does it the exact same in every gear, not engine speed relates at all, also when I spun one wheel up front it was there but not there when I jacked up rear and spun it.

Plain2000DII

Feb 27, 2005
Nazareth, PA
I had been chasing a driveline vib as well. To make a long story short... isolated it to the front(no vibe with front prop out) was going to have the front shaft rebiult for the second time, decided to put in a new OEM style shaft, all I got was a different vibe? Just popped in a TW front shaft today and all is good. Apperently the new OEM shaft is knockered out of the box, shit happens. Chasing vibrations is a bitch, you can't assume anything, 3 front shafts later, the vibe is gone. :D FWIW, the TW front shaft is a better mouse trap, worth the extra $. My thanks to Lucky 8 for the help.

Last edited: