Coil relocating kit

jimjet

Feb 22, 2005
L.I.N.Y./Daytona Beach Fl
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Land-Rover-Discovery-2003-2004-Coil-Pack-Relocation-Kit/112445670496

Hello all
been a while.
I hope you've all been well.

any little Jr dan chapmans running around our world yet ??
I am now in Florida retired with 175000 miles on my Disco
reality is 45000 miles as i have renewed her again .
The only parts with 175000 is the body and chassis which are still fine , not perfect but fine.
She lives in a beautiful 6 car storage unit with her friends and comes out to shine every Sunday and freak out the Jeepers who are not sure what she is or where she came from.

Jeeps run off the road trying to figure her out.
I must confess she sleeps next to a 1973 CJ-5 304 V8 .

so the title.
I dont need new wires or coils but i had to buy this to see if it will work.
Any input from those who know would be great.

regards to all
Jim

Last edited:

jymmiejamz

Dec 5, 2004
Los Angeles, Ca
I don't see any reason it wouldn't work, but my question would be why? Genuine plug wires last 60k+ miles, and they really aren't that bad to change if you go the cheapo route. The factory coil location keeps the coils far from water when off road. I don't see any disadvantage to the factory location other than heat, which doesn't seem to be a problem since the coils don't have a high failure rate.

4Runner

May 24, 2007
Boise Idaho
I would bet that you could do that for ALOT less yourself if you are good at wiring. You could probably even track down new pins for your plug and some heat shrink and make it look even better. I would think the plug wires will be the problem if you don't fab up your own. Then again, I never had to change mine. I do like having the coils someplace a little cooler if I can.

gthphotography

Aug 27, 2008
chicago
www.greghanrahan.com
I like the idea. I even looked at that setup myself. For me, it comes down to what a PITA it is to change them, and while I know some members have been able to change all 8 without removing the manifold, I can not. There are a few spaces one could place the coils in the engine compartment, and to be honest, the only thing that seems rather tricky to me is lengthening the wires for the coils from behind the engine (if I understand it correctly). HT leads can be cut to length, so that's a no brainer, and the piece of metal that the coils sit on could be fabricated easily. If you do it, let me know and post pics. Cheers

Last edited:

squirt

Nov 13, 2008
Los Angeles
This looks like the same setup that a guy made over on LRO/LRF recently. It got huge interest over there. What I don't understand is - how often are people changing their coils? I've only had to change a cool once in almost 200k miles of driving various D2's. Taking off the upper intake isn't that big of a deal. Certainly not worth $200 and cluttering up the front of your engine bay. Hell, it doesn't even include coils or plug wires for that money!

Wonder if ACE would present an issue, as the HT leads run right over that area.

K-rover

Jan 15, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Do it.. and paint everything to match so you can be as cool as this guy!
18951096_1535562816494250_3371795243125484023_n.jpg

jimjet

Feb 22, 2005
I don't see any reason it wouldn't work, but my question would be why? Genuine plug wires last 60k+ miles, and they really aren't that bad to change if you go the cheapo route. The factory coil location keeps the coils far from water when off road. I don't see any disadvantage to the factory location other than heat, which doesn't seem to be a problem since the coils don't have a high failure rate.

Hello Brooklyn
Ive owned my disco since 04 new
My third Disco
changed wires and coils 4x due to coil failure with genuine equipment.
Ive aged 13 years
Im tired of climbing on and around this truck
Till death do us part

i need things to get easier
LOL
ill do the mod next coil failure

Last edited:

best4x4

Mar 1, 2015
Beaumont, TX
On an SAI D2 getting the coil packs and wires does take a bit longer, but pulling the intake is not that big of deal. I've done it many many times now on my own D2's and on some friends D2's and is not that bad. Like mentioned above the spark plugs, wires, and coils last a pretty darn long time and you shouldn't have to be doing em that often.

The relocation kit is nice and I followed up on his LRF post and the hardest part of that conversion was making extension cables. You could simply just cut off the original ends and add some wire, but he made 2 harnesses so you could go back to the stock setup if you wanted to.

It's a nice conversion kit, but not something I need as I find removing the intake manifold not that big of a deal.

jymmiejamz

Dec 5, 2004
Los Angeles, Ca
Hello Brooklyn
Ive owned my disco since 04 new
My third Disco
changed wires and coils 4x due to coil failure with genuine equipment.
Ive aged 13 years
Im tired of climbing on and around this truck
Till death do us part

i need things to get easier
LOL
ill do the mod next coil failure

Would you just be leaving the old coils in place? It seems to me that you'd be going through the same amount of work to install this kit.

If you've done it 4 times, then you should be able to pull the intake in a short amount of time at this point. Adding some aftermarket relocation kit is just asking for trouble.

jimjet

Feb 22, 2005
Would you just be leaving the old coils in place? It seems to me that you'd be going through the same amount of work to install this kit.

If you've done it 4 times, then you should be able to pull the intake in a short amount of time at this point. Adding some aftermarket relocation kit is just asking for trouble.

Actually i havnt thought about it that much yet.
But every time ive done it i wished they were easier to get at and who decided to bury them in there in the first place.
I know someone will say to keep dry for scuba diving or some other excuse.BS
when the codes appear ill think about it and hopefully ill remember where i put the relocating kit.

my rubicon has the coil pack on top of left rocker cover. so easy to change wires.
so seeing this kit made me happy. i will relocate the coils next time i change them.
Ive got to much into this truck to ever part with it.

JohnB

Oct 18, 2007
Oregon
I like it. Doubt I'll do it but if someone gave it to me I'd put it on.
I've actually cracked my grill laying my fat belly on that engine climbing off and on like a disabled elf. Not all of us are as spry as others.

rovercanus

Apr 24, 2004
Hello Walter
I hope your well.
Im afraid to ask but is Bobbie still with you.?

Nobody Likes me , forget my ideas lol.

Glad you joined in stay well sir.

Bobbi is alive and well though she's a little slower now. Thought I lost her last fall but it ended up being a bad ear infection that left her either deaf or just really stubborn.

jimjet

Feb 22, 2005
Bobbi is alive and well though she's a little slower now. Thought I lost her last fall but it ended up being a bad ear infection that left her either deaf or just really stubborn.

I am very happy to hear that she is well.

since smokey my weimarana passed ,( i got smokey here off discoweb from Colorado (UK4x4) )
im living in Daytona and i have a rescue mutt , the smartest dog i have ever owned.

After leaving NY and retiring from Aerlingus , i now work for Spirit Airlines in Orlando.

untill my next code again , i have less time to sit infront of computers these days.

Is Dan still married to Tammy , we met at the vineyard way back.

stay well my friend.
Jim