Vibration

gregslife51

Jun 20, 2017
Port Ludlow Washington
Struggling with vibration in my LR II 2001 above 45mph. Gets worse as I get above 45mph with giving it gas. Has new front drive line. Could it be bad tire, and or worn out ball joints? It is a buzz not a wobble at the steering wheel. 161k on the odometer. Any ideas/help would be appreciated.

SCSL

Apr 27, 2005
Lots of possible causes of vibes. First swing should always be getting the tires rebalanced (and check your rotors).

DiscoTech

Nov 18, 2004
Side of the road....
As SCSL said, this could be a ton of things. Make sure your tires are balanced and have equal pressure, check the front driveshaft, bad ball joints possibly....

Mike

gregslife51

Jun 20, 2017
Port Ludlow Washington
Thanks for the ideas. I am going to pull the front drive shaft and recheck it as well as a tire balance. I have heard that some cheaper new drive lines are out of balance. I guess I can pull it and drive it without it being installed to see if vibration is gone. Hope that is true. The rubber in the fittings up front look very questionable.

p m

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 19, 2004
La Jolla, CA
www.3rj.org
Assuming you're talking about a 2001 Discovery II, unless you have a center diff lock installed, you cannot drive without the front driveshaft.