What will your next vehicle be?

ERover82

Nov 26, 2011
Darien Gap
Parted out the D1 a couple years ago after we realized it didn't meet our family's needs.

Purchased LR3 and enjoyed many adventures in it, as well as being a comfortable, tow capable, daily driver.

Missed having something more rugged, light, and small to play with, but still have room and comfort enough for kids. Soft top was a strong desire as well. Begrudgingly purchased a TJ, but had a lot of good times and enjoyed getting to know the platform. It's not a Rover, but it's been a fun weekend toy.

Began searching for the next vehicle as the LR3 was aging and we desired something with more modern safety standards and efficiency, but keeping a high level of utility. Unfortunately Land Rovers were written off. They only make expensive little hand bags now, and I'm cheap and occasionally practical.

Sold the TJ and LR3. Purchased a loaded 2015 crew cab F150. It'll do everything the LR3/4 platform does, better, except technical offroad situations due to its lack of height adjustable air suspension, more advanced terrain response, and longer wheelbase. However, it'll be enough capability for the family until the second kid (infant) gets older and can withstand the raw experience of a soft top Series/Defender. We'll still be able to take them through the scenic mountains, wildlife park cruises, play in the snow, get to camp spots, and haul more than ever.

If LR doesn't royally screw up the Defender, we might return sooner than a classic.

Howski

Oct 19, 2009
Alabama
Mine will likely be some sort of generic sedan, I do like the Passat, and keep the Disco as a secondary vehicle. Don’t really want to shell out for one of Today’s character-less SUV and worry about dinging it up on the trail. If I got rid of the Disco I like the idea of a ZR2 Colorado or (new) Ford Ranger. Haven’t driven a ZR2 and obviously the Ranger isn’t out yet

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
I'm really considering the new Lincoln Continental, as if I'll ever get off my ass and buy something. :smilelol:

If I do, though, it'll probably be one of those. Easily the most comfortable car I've ever encountered this side of a Rolls Royce, and I'm not so sure that's actually more comfortable for everyday purposes in American weather.

Either way, it's a step from $55,000 or so to over $400,000 to get anything even remotely close to more comfortable than that.

They knocked it out of the park with this thing.

Cheers,

Kennith

jim-00-4.6

Sep 30, 2005
Genesee, CO USA
I've been recently taking a serious look at a vehicle for me.
It's pretty likely my job situation will be changing soon, and I'll be looking at a significant daily commute.
My house is on the wrong side of the gates on the interstate; in the winter the gates are closed, and the only alternate route to home is blocked by state police who don't let anyone without 4WD (maybe AWD) up the hill.

I was out on a trail ride last weekend for the first time in several years.
I haven't been camping in several years.
As much as I like to daydream about camping, or having a travel trailer, or whatever, the reality of current life is not that.

A sedan probably won't work for me with the winter thing.
AWD maybe. But it would suck to be sitting at the bottom of the hill, unable to go home, because the po-po don't like my car.
XJ or even XF sedans in AWD are nice.

So I need 4WD, or AWD in a platform that the po-po will allow.
That means pretty much any of the small SUV/CUV things, up to a monster 4WD truck.
WILL NOT buy something that isn't reliable; there's simply no reason for that kind of stupid in my life.
That rules out all the older LR products (everything before 2010?)
The only LR product that currently holds any appeal whatsoever is the RR.
I can't afford a new one, but used (back to about 2010 or so) are in my range.
The downside to that is the abysmal mileage.

Not going to buy any japanese, korean or chinese automobiles.
Ford & chevy don't have any products that hold any appeal to me.
My options are pretty much jeep, or jeep.

The Renegade (my wife has one) is probably going to be my next car.
It has a little trail ability, which is probably all I need.
Can't really tow anything, but I don't own anything I need to tow.
Good mileage; important for my upcoming stupid commute.

A used Wrangler is in my price range, but shitty mileage.
If I'm going to stay in the mid-teens for mpg, I might as well drive a RR.
The other jeep products don't appeal to me.

Last edited:

mgreenspan

Feb 28, 2005
Briggs's Back Yard
Wife and kids are in the UK probably to stay if our house in CA sells quickly while I'm deployed. I still have the GX and just traded my 02 Grand Cherokee daily driver for a Scion tC. Assuming I move part time to the UK if I get out of the military and do airlines for a living then I'm getting a galvanized chassis series truck with a 200tdi conversion.

The only new car I have seen and said to myself, "Self, that car looks good," is the newest Toyota Camry. And I say eff that. No vehicle really inspires me to want to drive it because none of them look that good in my opinion.

jim-00-4.6

Sep 30, 2005
Genesee, CO USA
Except really deep snow, and being Japanese, it sounds like a Subaru with Blizzaks would do the job.

hahahhahaha

yeah. that.

XJ or XF sedan in AWD pretty much covers the car end of things.
I don't know anything about RRs newer than my former '05.

I imagine the Jags would be as pricey to keep in good repair as a RR.
Since that would probably be a toss-up, the Jag would make more sense on an mpg basis.

I was just looking at LRs.
Jiminy cricket, I hate them all. Except for the full-size RR.

Thinking back to last time the roads were closed, the po-po probably would not have let me go in an AWD sedan.
It was 18 inches of fresh powder, and I was first up the hill.
In a jeep.

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
hahahhahaha

yeah. that.

XJ or XF sedan in AWD pretty much covers the car end of things.
I don't know anything about RRs newer than my former '05.

I imagine the Jags would be as pricey to keep in good repair as a RR.
Since that would probably be a toss-up, the Jag would make more sense on an mpg basis.

I was just looking at LRs.
Jiminy cricket, I hate them all. Except for the full-size RR.

Thinking back to last time the roads were closed, the po-po probably would not have let me go in an AWD sedan.
It was 18 inches of fresh powder, and I was first up the hill.
In a jeep.

If you can drive where you need to drive in a sedan safely... I personally pay no attention to what I'm supposed to be driving when I'm traveling. Fuck that. They can't drive worth a shit, anyway. I'm not listening to that nonsense.

Subarus can be lifted if that's what you're after. A number of Imprezas are out there packing some pretty meaty tires and ground clearance. I've even seen a BRZ with what looked like 3" of lift and over-sized all terrains.

It was awesome.

Of course, the Outbacks and all that can be lifted, as well, but it's not quite as visually impactful.

When it comes to driving in snow and ice, all wheel drive is the superior option, with some manner of clever differentials. Lockers and all that nonsense are a waste of money and a poor choice for those conditions on smooth surfaces.

Several manufacturers are very good at all wheel drive. Honda does a good job, Subaru is legendary and so is Audi, Jaguar is no slouch, Volvo has been at it for a very long time, and Porsche offers some of the best ever fitted to a vehicle. Infiniti pretty much nails it, as well. I probably forgot a couple. Land Rovers have obviously been all wheel drive for many decades, but that's not what you're after, apparently.

It's mainly "import" (most are built here anyway) manufacturers that get it dead-nuts right.

If you're not going that route, you're best off with some manner of crossover, naturally. If you want a wagon or sedan, though, it can be done. You'd need to lift it for that much snow and fit larger tires, but they look bad-ass as hell in my opinion.

Keep an eye on the weight of the vehicle. The lighter the better. People focus on go too much, and don't consider stop or turn.

Cheers,

Kennith

jim-00-4.6

Sep 30, 2005
Genesee, CO USA
If you can drive where you need to drive in a sedan safely... I personally pay no attention to what I'm supposed to be driving when I'm traveling. Fuck that. They can't drive worth a shit, anyway. I'm not listening to that nonsense.

Subarus can be lifted if that's what you're after. A number of Imprezas are out there packing some pretty meaty tires and ground clearance. I've even seen a BRZ with what looked like 3" of lift and over-sized all terrains.

It was awesome.

Of course, the Outbacks and all that can be lifted, as well, but it's not quite as visually impactful.

When it comes to driving in snow and ice, all wheel drive is the superior option, with some manner of clever differentials. Lockers and all that nonsense are a waste of money and a poor choice for those conditions on smooth surfaces.

Several manufacturers are very good at all wheel drive. Honda does a good job, Subaru is legendary and so is Audi, Jaguar is no slouch, Volvo has been at it for a very long time, and Porsche offers some of the best ever fitted to a vehicle. Infiniti pretty much nails it, as well. I probably forgot a couple. Land Rovers have obviously been all wheel drive for many decades, but that's not what you're after, apparently.

It's mainly "import" (most are built here anyway) manufacturers that get it dead-nuts right.

If you're not going that route, you're best off with some manner of crossover, naturally. If you want a wagon or sedan, though, it can be done. You'd need to lift it for that much snow and fit larger tires, but they look bad-ass as hell in my opinion.

Keep an eye on the weight of the vehicle. The lighter the better. People focus on go too much, and don't consider stop or turn.

Cheers,

Kennith
The interstate has gates that are closed, and the po-po literally block the only other road with their vehicles; you cannot go around them. I have to pass their scrutiny to get them to move the cars.

Haven't looked at Audi or Volvo, I'll give those an eye.
If my wife was a lesbian or if I was a lumberjane, I'd get a subaroo.

Jag AWD sedan is my favorite.
I'd consider parking the car at the bottom of the hill and having my wife or son come down & get me in one of their jeeps.

stop? Turn?
what the fuck is THAT about?
everything needs to be straight the fuck in front of me.
and all a y'all need to be outa my way.

Howski

Oct 19, 2009
Alabama
Of course I post my comment above and this afternoon out of the blue the wife starts sending me links to LR4’s....

ERover82

Nov 26, 2011
Darien Gap
It was going to be either an LR4 w/ Lux package, or Tahoe/Yukon, until we began to consider things like the utility of a short bed, reliability, efficiency of the ecoboost engines, resale value, and exactly how much offroad capability we'll actually use in the next few years.

jim-00-4.6

Sep 30, 2005
Genesee, CO USA
Resale value was never something I considered.
Until this upcoming purchase, fuel economy wasn't on my list, either.
300+ miles a week commute is making me consider new things.
It was always "do I like this car?" and/or "can I afford it?"...

When I got my first RR, I had a big hardon for "off-road ability", and was a total asshole about it.
Now, actually "doing the math", I don't really have a lot of use for it.

As it turns out, Mercedes Benz makes some nice (AWD) automobiles.
Who knew?

Leadvagas

Jun 10, 2010
Leadville CO
Well I really have a hankering for an Alaskan hard side camper. Probably going to start looking for a ‘92 to ‘96 crew cab F350 4wd, gas automatic. The 7.3 costs a fortune to go through. Other than that I am planning on having indoor parking for all of my wheeled children in the next year to 18 months. So every body will be warm and cozy, two D1’s, 1963 FJ45, 66 Fairlane, 34 three window, 93 F150. So maybe a 280Z or a Nissan Patrol.

mjbrox

Jun 30, 2008
Golden CO
Daily driving a off road capable Rover is just silly.

Im not changing my fleet anytime soon but this is what I have

2006 BMW E46 Convertable
Super efficent, fun as shit, easy to work on and most of all my wife loves it. She drives it every day except snow days. I may even put snow tires on it this year.

2000 Merc E320 Wagon with AWD
This is the Family Hauler. Its got roof racks tons of room etc. We take this car on any trip that does not need ground clearance. It is a tank in the snow.

2015 Ram 1500
I drive a company truck for work, but i cant drive it for personal. I will say that it would make a better family hauler than the Merc,

1996 Disco
This is my trail slut. I mostly drive it when im taking the kids camping or going off road. I dont even really drive it in the winter.

Anyway, you may want to seriously consider having a dedicated off road truck

JackW

Mar 17, 2005
I really enjoy daily driving my D-90 wagon with the TDi but my wife has a problem climbing up into it - especially with her bad knee.
The Discovery 5 is proving to be an excellent daily driver with 450 miles of fuel range or more between fill-ups (about every other week).
Plan is to swap it for a new Defender when they come out.
The Porsche 356 is a garage queen currently but is going to auction next month and if I get stupid money for it I might look at a used Cayman to replace it - or pick up an old Alfa Romeo Giulietta to restore.
The two Series IIA Land Rovers are all mine to enjoy - the wife despises the 109 diesel wagon but thinks the 88" pickup is "cute" - she MIGHT ride in that once its all back together on rare occasions.

If I had to buy a "normal car" I might consider a BMW 2- series with the 4-cylinder engine.

No Japanese cars other than some Hondas interest me, Mercedes have gotten too complicated, most BMW's are getting too big, nothing associated with Chrysler will ever darken my driveway, there really aren't that many interesting cars out there any more.

Agent

Jun 20, 2007
WV
We just bought a nice used 2016 Ford Expedition EL earlier this year. That will cover the family vehicle needs for a good while to come. I'm also fortunate to have a vehicle provided by my employer so I'm set there as well as long as my current assignment and/or sanity holds out. My current conundrum is what to do with my aging DII. It's got a considerable amount of frame rust and is in need of some TLC to the tune of a few grand. I have a need for a weekend driver that's a capable 4x4. I'd also like it to be relatively dependable. Right now I'm considering selling the DII and getting an LR3. Seems like the LR3 has an excellent engine and now that they've been around a while people have got a handle on the EAS. I can get one for the same price as a Jeep if the same vintage.

There is also part of my that wants to do something really stupid like find a nice rust free DI...