Coolers

Howski

Oct 19, 2009
Alabama
I unfortunately had my Igloo MaxCold stolen a week or two ago and I'm looking to get a new cooler. The old one was a giant 165 qt that would barely fit in the back of my D2 and was honestly way larger than I need. I'm thinking something along the lines of a 70 qt this time. Enough for food and beer for 3-4 days. I'm not looking for something ridiculously expensive like an Engel or Yetti. Just wanted to get some input on some other options besides another Igloo MaxCold

leeawalden

Feb 21, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Man those old school colemans are good. I think you can buy the newer style metal ones at academy, bass pro, etc. I think the coleman extreme and maxcolds are about the same. I use the Yeti for food, and an igloo marine for beer/waters. I don't have an experience with the maxcold or extreme, but I guess they are a little better? You won't regret buying a Yeti though. I have a 35 qt and 55 qt. I picked the 55 qt up on craigslist for half price.

jonesy66

Jan 12, 2009
VA
Find the marine grade ones from nearly anyone - go to WestMarine, and look at them. Generally they are made for sitting in the sun, when they say 5-9 days of ice keeping ability in the sun you generally get 3/4 of that in my experience.

They are ususally (always) the white ones.

Howski

Oct 19, 2009
Alabama
Thanks for the input everyone. Is there any difference in the blue MaxCold's/Xtreme's and the white marine ones? I have read a few places that the white marine coolers are better insulated that the colored ones of the same name. Any truth to this?

AU_88

Feb 28, 2006
Atlanta
Some Dude said:
Who buys a cooler in November? Do you live in Louisiana?

People in the south. Sometimes you need a good cooler to sit beside the couch so you don't have to miss any of the great football... I know y'all don't get that in Boise. :D

Actually it will be in the mid-70s next week and the biggest game of the year is next weekend. Coolers come in handy for tailgating etc...

jhmover

Apr 23, 2004
California
I stole an electric Engel 60 quart a few years ago for $550. Dude bought it for his sailboat to use until the built in fridge got fixed. I just happened to check on Craigslist at the right moment. They were on a world tour and docked in Richmond, CA, done with repairs and in a hurry to sell it before they left. I sure don't miss messing with ice at all.

Howski

Oct 19, 2009
Alabama
Robert Alley said:
Actually it will be in the mid-70s next week and the biggest game of the year is next weekend. Coolers come in handy for tailgating etc...
Exactly. My old one was perfect for tailgating but really too large for anything else. I'm probably gonna ask for one for Christmas this year, hence the timing

Some Dude

Feb 12, 2009
Boise, ID
Robert Alley said:
you don't have to miss any of the great football... I know y'all don't get that in Boise. :D
Zing!

Winter is my tailgating season. We tailgate after backcountry ski trips, snowshoeing, christmas tree cutting, we regularly tailgate ski resort parking lots... When you do your tailgating in the snow you don't need a cooler or ice.

For summer I have an Engel 45 I picked up on CL for $275. Deal of a lifetime right there.