One Time Unusual Hard Start and Poor Running

ME Island

?97 D1, 127,000 miles, about 1,000 since new head gaskets (not required because of failure), O2 sensor, speed sensor. Fuel l?vel at 3/4.

The Discovery has always been an easy start, whether on the first turn of the key [when cold] or second [sometimes when warm]. After a rainstorm last night, I turned the key and it would only crank, not fire. Tried it 3 times. No check engine light on. I checked the fuel pump and fuel system fuses and both were unbroken. With the key on, I removed the fuel system fuse and heard clicks when I touched the connectors in the fuse box. I returned the fuse and the car started, but with an unusually high idle of 1200 rpm.

When the engine warmed up, the idle in Park or Neutral remained high. It lowered itself when shifting the transmission to D. On a 5 mile drive the engine felt erratic as if it were hunting for the right engine speed, at times almost feeling as though it wanted to cut out but never did. Held speeds of 25- 40 just fine, normal acceleration.

Came home and the car started as usual - immediate spark, 800 rpm and smooth at idle.

Searched the forum for other starting issues and didn?t see a similar post - any thoughts on what might have caused the issue?

Thanks,

Jeff

Agent

Jun 20, 2007
WV
Since you mentioned the problem started after a rain, I'd suggest you check your ECU for water. On a DI I believe it's located under the hood on the inside right fender near the wiper fluid reservoir.

robertf

Jan 22, 2006
-
Jeff if the battery cables aren't perfectly clean and tight on my 97 the idle will wander.

On the no start. if you turn the key and the check engine light doesn't illuminate for a bulb test take they key out and wait at least 5 seconds for the ECU relay to unlatch, then retry. It could have missed the immobilizer signal. Mine does this once a year after state inspection.

Also, you may want to grab a set of the series 2 discovery fender to hood seals. They are full length unlike the series 1. They do a better job at keeping water away from the ECU

d1enginebay.JPG

d2enginebay.jpg

WaltNYC

Mar 3, 2010
NYC
Mine has done something similar in the past. It has been a battery issue. The bit about rain does suggest a look at the ECU also.