What fresh hell awaits?

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
After 8 years of Disco 1 ownership I finally took an opportunity to replace the RRC that I have so long regretted selling. Found one locally that has no rust, a complete engine replacement, air suspension replaced with coils, and smooth drivetrain.

It has a long list of moderate annoyances that I plan to get to as time and budget allow. A few things I need to address immediately: new tires, fluids, fix/replace door latch mechanisms, new seat ECUs. I have a feeling the D-web vendors are going to be hearing a lot more from me in the coming months. Anyway, here it is:

1993 County Sport (who knew there was a "sport" back then? Rare paint and TWR wheels.
178,000 miles on body, 75,000 miles on engine.

I can't say I'm looking forward to getting back into the world of Lucas, but driving that thing feels like coming home. Keeping the Disco, of course.

00k0k_1lO3rLj63Kd_600x450.jpg

WeBeCinYa

Feb 25, 2016
NC
I might be mistaken, but I could swear I almost purchased that RRC when I first started looking a couple years back. I had a buddy of mine drive it and look it over. Did the seller you just picked it up from have it only a short period?

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
The seller said he owned the truck for about 3 years. I looked at it about 16 months ago when it was for sale then, but wasn't willing to pay the asking price at the time given the issues I was able to identify. The price came down, I now have a tidy D1 as a daily driver, so I was willing to roll the dice this time around to take on a project.

Blueboy

Apr 20, 2004
Back in the USA; Rockwood, PA
Congrats!! Great to see another RRC in good hands.

Yes, the Sport name was used way back then. As well as the other model from back then - LWB.

And for sure Aegean Blue a very rare color - for that matter almost any color other than Alpine White or Beluga Black is a rare RRC color.

Best of luck!!

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
Thank you! Today I changed the oil, lubed the tailgate hinges, reviewed and cleared CEL code (#17, TPS, probably from prior to the engine replacement), and ordered a bunch of maintenance items: diff oil, Dex 3 for TC, spark plugs, wiper blades, air filter, fuel filter, tailgate struts. While waiting for the oil to drain I found the factory tool kit. I'd never seen one before. Also ordering new tires this week, likely General Grabber AT2 in 225/75/16. Still lots of tidying to do. Interior is messy, PO was a smoker and dropped more than a few French fries between the seats.

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
Whatever door parts you need might interchange with a Disco1. Before you waste time looking for those seat modules make sure you have good battery voltage and ground. I'm doubtful that both seats came up with the same failure.

Paul Grant

Sep 8, 2004
CT
The 1993 Sport model was the only SWB that year to come with EAS. You may still have the EAS block under the passenger seat along the outside frame rail. The air tank was under the driver's seat along the outside left frame rail. They only did a few hundred of them in 1993 and the Aegean Blue is a really rare one. If the EAS components are still there, maybe you should consider reactivating the air suspension! :)

luckyjoe

Oct 10, 2004
New Jersey USA
A buddy had the same model RRC Sport years ago. Great color and unique version. And yes, if you can stomach the rebuild, definitely restore the EAS!

kk88rrc

Could be very rare. From rangerover.net....

"County Sport:
Priced at $1,900 above the base SWB model the "County Sport" was introduced mid way through the model year. There were approx. 200 of the limited edition model that came with Electric Air Suspension (EAS) and silver "Sparkle Silver Finish" TWR five spoke wheels (the same wheel as all the 1994 and 1995 SWB Range Rovers). The wheels had lug nuts with shiny stainless steel caps. Most were Beluga Black, but some were Aegean Blue. Many (possibly all) had a brush bar on the front and lamp guards over the rear lights. The County Sport was the first SWB Range Rover to have the EAS, and the only SWB model with EAS in 1993 (In 1994 and 1995 all Range Rovers sold in the U.S. had EAS). "

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
I read that description before buying it - pretty sure the seller didn't. Interesting history. For some reason I wind up with Rovers that have rare colors - my Disco is a white gold LSE and finding color-matched parts is tough. I'll check under the seats for the EAS components - I will be removing the seats to get at the switches in any event. I don't think this is a mod (is it a mod if I'm restoring it to original condition?) that I'll be doing any time soon, but when the coils get tired I would like to re-install the EAS. I'll post up some better photos once I put on new tires and give it a good scrubbing to remove the moss (yes, there is moss growing in the louvers of the D pillars. Welcome to Seattle.). The passenger side body damage isn't visible in the picture above.

WeBeCinYa

Feb 25, 2016
NC
The county sport is unique for sure. Only seen a couple, one was just recently on craigslist Richmond, had a white painted roof. It had some much rust it was almost a liability. Was only on CL for a day or so this week, hopefully buyer did their due diligence.

Blueboy

Apr 20, 2004
Back in the USA; Rockwood, PA
Yes, have the tool kit in mine as well along with the white cloth for cleaning the hands after being messed when changing a tire. They all are pretty cool. Pretty sure the LR workshop manual can still be found. It is a wealth of info.

4Runner

May 24, 2007
Boise Idaho
Congrats on finding an RRC. Still can't believe how different they are from discos. Looks like a beautiful day out. I kind of miss Seattle a bit.

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
When I got my new tires fitted on Thursday the shop asked when the last time was I'd changed the oil. Four days ago, I said. Well it's filthy, they told me. Yesterday I changed the oil again and sure enough, it was filthy. I also changed the oil in the diffs and the transfer case fluid. All were nasty. As was the air filter. The previous owner did not make much of an effort to stay on top of even the simple things. Thank goodness someone took ownership who cares.