Help needed

Chaodic1

Jan 29, 2017
Charlotte, Michigan
Did Head gaskets two weeks ago all went good. Then it lost all power as it fell on its face but still running. Got home as I was only a quarter mile away, my cats were glowing hot as they were plugged. Put in straight pipe and all is good runs, revs but put in drive and I have no power behind it. My code reader is broken and engine light flashes constantly. Getting frustrated... What should I be checking for??

squirt

Nov 13, 2008
Los Angeles
You need to read the codes and stop driving it until you get the CEL to stop flashing. You've probably already damaged your cats by ignoring it. Flashing CEL means your in a damage-causing fault mode.

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
You probably have some spark plug wires crossed. Or you dinked a couple spark plugs if you left them in the heads while you did gaskets.Flashing check engine light means you have a catalyst damaging misfire.

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
Look to see if the coil packs are plugged in and both sides have a black connector on them. That connector on the drivers side can be switched with the idle air valve. But the idle air valve connector is white. Then if that checks out I would start killing cylinders. I have a set of plastic pliers for pulling wires off plugs. They all need to be loose enough to pull off with the crappy plastic pliers but they keep you from getting whacked with that coil. Nothing like 40,000 volts AC current to wake your ass up. But as you pull spark plug wires your gonna come across a couple that don't change the way it's running or best case you find a couple that actually make it run a little smoother when you pull them off. In that case those two are likely crossed.

Chaodic1

Jan 29, 2017
Charlotte, Michigan
Coil packs are new replaced when hg was done, wires also new ran correctly, been over everything a thousand times I'm fucking stumped and getting really god damn tired. I get that all of these ideas can cause these systems, but it ran flawlessly for a week!!! Like a brand new truck... Couldn't have been more happy with it. Not giving up yet tho! Love/hate relationship is strong with this one ��

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
Ok just do what I said. If four cylinders are missing then one of the coils is no good,or unplugged. Somebody around you must have a code reader. Get the codes out of the thing.