Tellico Closed

JackW

Mar 17, 2005
crown14 said:
God damn boys, this is old news.

No - the USFS just extended the "temporary" closure until March 31, 2011 yesterday

It was originally supposed to reopen Tellico on April 1, 2009

everyone should send a big Thank You to Trout Unlimited for protecting the little fishies from us big bad off-roaders

rovercanus

Apr 24, 2004
JackW said:
No - the USFS just extended the "temporary" closure until March 31, 2011 yesterday

everyone should send a big Thank You to Trout Unlimited for protecting the little fishies from us big bad off-roaders
No, thank the FS for not doing their job until TU thought they had to step in.
TU's agenda was not to have the trails closed but to force the FS to maintain it better.
That being said, are they happy it's closed? Yes they are. But if the FS was any bit sympathetic to OHV they would have found a solution. The FS just found a convenient way to close the trails with someone else taking the heat. If the area supervisor cared to work with the OHV community, he would have. They didn't want to, so they didn't.
Remember, it's a lot easier to close down a trail then it is to maintain it.
The same was implied at the GW/JNF meetings we had in VA the last few months.(Did any of you lazy fuckers go to any of these meetings to voice your opinions?)

Last edited:

MUSKYMAN

Apr 19, 2004
OverBarrington IL
this all comes down to bridges.

bridges are the key to keeping trails open and can transform a problem trail into a usable one.

scrap steel is dirt cheap right now, the nearest 4x4 clubs should be banding together and pushing to have bridges constructed and placed to prevent damage to the rivers.

when the atitude of blame and conflict between use groups happens everybody will loose in the end.

rovercanus

Apr 24, 2004
MUSKYMAN said:
this all comes down to bridges.

when the atitude of blame and conflict between use groups happens everybody will loose in the end.
Which is exactly why I joined my local TU chapter and the Shennandoah Valley 4 Wheelers.
I'm trying to build a bridge between the 2 groups. So far both sides are expressing a willingness to work with each other. I'm hoping we can start a trend.
Keep your friends close and your (supposed) enemies closer.

MUSKYMAN

Apr 19, 2004
OverBarrington IL
EXACTLY!!!

use is going to be the biggest hurdle in the future and if clubs like TU think they are not going to face the same issues they need to look to the west where rivers are guarded with razor wire.

clubs banding together is the clear solution.

This "bridges" as a future starts with a hand shake. Next time you are on the trail dont just wave I friendly hello when you see other people using the trail, stop take a moment and extend a hand shake and and tell people you are glad to see them using the resource as well. This attitude will go a long way to breaking down barriers between use groups.

crown14

May 11, 2006
Clayton, NC
JackW said:

Ahh, I see...

flyfisher11

May 25, 2005
Wolf Laurel NC
rovercanus said:
TU's agenda was not to have the trails closed but to force the FS to maintain it better.
That being said, are they happy it's closed? Yes they are. But if the FS was any bit sympathetic to OHV they would have found a solution. The FS just found a convenient way to close the trails with someone else taking the heat. If the area supervisor cared to work with the OHV community, he would have. They didn't want to, so they didn't.
The same was implied at the GW/JNF meetings we had in VA the last few months.(Did any of you lazy fuckers go to any of these meetings to voice your opinions?)

But it was TU that started the shit storm! Had they not been so loud it wouldn't have happened. Most of them don't give a shit about us. I do, however, agree that it is best to work together. It makes sense to show them that we aren't all a bunch of mud bogging rednecks and that we care about conservation as well.

Oh and as they might have everyone believe it was the mud run off killing the brookies I beg to differ and say it was all the stocking of non-native rainbows and german browns that were killing off the brookies, but what do I know?

rovercanus

Apr 24, 2004
Unfortunately the National TU is akin to the Sierra club. We want it all and none for others. The local chapter sees things a bit differently and tries to keep it's distance from National and even state chapters.

MUSKYMAN

Apr 19, 2004
OverBarrington IL
I had a really good talk the other day with a guy named Chuck Wiley, he is the head of the USFS office in lakewood wisconsin. He has been there for 35 years and he hit on a really key point.

" The recreation public needs to understand that the United States Forest Service has no responsibility to provide locations for public recreation, the forests were set aside to promote and provide wood and paper pulp to the United States"

This statement shows that we really need to band together as use enthusiasts to redefine the purpose at the heart of these public land to multi use public land, not public land that also get used.

Big difference.

DiscoTech

Nov 18, 2004
Side of the road....
rovercanus said:

True, the FS is at fault, but TU's whole claim is that the trail use is dumping in X amount of sediment into the streams which is destroying the native brook trout population. What they failed to acknowledge is that by stocking the streams with thousands of rainbow trout, a species that feeds on the native brook trout, they are doing just as much damage.

I agree with you 100% about a need to work together. If we could make them see things from our point of view, and make them see how much we actually do for the trail system, than maybe they won't be so quick to point a finger. Of course, I speak of the local TU chapters not the national TU chapter. The national chapter, in my opinion, has a much bigger agenda.

Mike