Disco versus P38 rear Diff

rmuller

Apr 28, 2004
Northern NJ
www.njlr.org
I've heard that the P38 rear diff's are different than the D1/D2/D90 ... what makes them difference? Is it just the housing? Are the internals the same? Would I be able to rebuild a p38 diff w/ a disco donor?

turbodave

Nov 26, 2008
KY
I heard that the 4.6 P38 diffs were 4-pin units, but haven't ever seen it referenced anywhere else.

robertf

Jan 22, 2006
-
did the older model arb lockers interchange between the p38 diff and the 24 spline disco/defender/rrc diff? If that is the case, could one put a 4 trunion diff in a disco 3rd?

I'd love to hear the real differences between the 2, all of the searching I've found just says they are different.

KyleT

Mar 28, 2007
Fort Worth, TEXAS
they are different. bolt pattern is different. Pinion is shorter so it has less length to couteract leverage. carrier is stronger (4pin version, all were 4pin rear, 99+ were 4pin front and rear IIRC), gears are thinner IIRC. it is the diff that is in the banjo housing on the 2005(???) up defenders. it is 24 spline.

roverover

Feb 27, 2005
Lancaster PA
www.UsedLandRoverParts.com
robertf said:
did the older model arb lockers interchange between the p38 diff and the 24 spline disco/defender/rrc diff? NO

If that is the case, could one put a 4 trunion diff in a disco 3rd? It is called a toy Swap.

I'd love to hear the real differences between the 2, all of the searching I've found just says they are different. Disco is weak the Wolf is crap.

Fixed IMHO

Jan 3, 2005
On Kennith's private island
robertf said:
did the older model arb lockers interchange between the p38 diff and the 24 spline disco/defender/rrc diff? If that is the case, could one put a 4 trunion diff in a disco 3rd?

I'd love to hear the real differences between the 2, all of the searching I've found just says they are different.

Not at all. The P38 used a RD57 and the Disco's/RRC/Defender used an RD56.

I don't know what you want to hear about them being different. Nothing is the same between the two. Comparing a Disco/RRC/Defender 3rd to a P38 would be like comparing a Ford 9" to a Samurai.

rmuller

Apr 28, 2004
Northern NJ
www.njlr.org
Thanks for the info... friend picked up a p38 and it has a busted rear diff (a nice watery mixture came out of it)... we have about 6 spare D1/d2/d90 diffs, so we wanted to see if we could use one... guess he's gotta find a parts p38.

robertf

Jan 22, 2006
-
KyleT said:
they are different. bolt pattern is different. Pinion is shorter so it has less length to couteract leverage. carrier is stronger (4pin version, all were 4pin rear, 99+ were 4pin front and rear IIRC), gears are thinner IIRC. it is the diff that is in the banjo housing on the 2005(???) up defenders. it is 24 spline.

how would a longer pinion counteract leverage?

robertf

Jan 22, 2006
-
D Chapman said:
Not at all. The P38 used a RD57 and the Disco's/RRC/Defender used an RD56.

I don't know what you want to hear about them being different. Nothing is the same between the two. Comparing a Disco/RRC/Defender 3rd to a P38 would be like comparing a Ford 9" to a Samurai.

I've never seen a p38 diff and the few times I've tried to purchase one the seller thought they were made of gold.

These were the questions I wanted answers for

Is the ring gear diameter different? Is the ring gear bolt pattern different? Are the bearing journals different? Is the carrier width different? Is the ring gear index diameter the same? Is the ring gear flange offset the same?

Jan 3, 2005
On Kennith's private island
robertf said:
I've never seen a p38 diff and the few times I've tried to purchase one the seller thought they were made of gold.

These were the questions I wanted answers for

Is the ring gear diameter different? Is the ring gear bolt pattern different? Are the bearing journals different? Is the carrier width different? Is the ring gear index diameter the same? Is the ring gear flange offset the same?

yes
yes
yes
yes
no
no