Rear Dislocation Cones - Top or Bottom??

Quentin

Mar 19, 2006
Cape Town, South Africa
I've been doing a bit of searching on this subject, but wanted your input....
Cranked trailing arms, sway bar disconnects, 2" shock lowering kit, extended bump stops will be going in soon on the rear axle and I'm going to fabricate a set of dislocation cones.
Top or bottom (relocate the spring retainers to the top seat)?
It seems like there's a 50/50 split on which perform better and quieter.

lunchbox

Apr 20, 2004
St Louis, MO
Throw the sway bar away. Get the proper rate spring for the lift. Don't lower your shock mounts. Get the proper length shocks. And file the cones away with the sway bar.

lambo

Mar 31, 2010
mechanicsville va.
i had retainers and they sucked, got 3 more inches of axle " droop" with cones. its a matter of 4tires on ground or 3. and who cares if you make noise going forward versus being quite going no where.

Last edited:

hemps

Dec 13, 2009
Cones rock, you get way more articulation. Mount them on the top for best re-seating.

Quentin

Mar 19, 2006
Cape Town, South Africa
LOL
Thanks for the input so far. :patriot:
I'm gonna stick with the sway bars and make up a set of quick disconnects. When we go off on a 4x4 trip, the Landy usually weighs in close to 3 tons with all the gear, extra fuel, water, etc, etc, etc and hitting the road, getting to Namibia, Botswana, etc at 120km/hr plus........I would hate to drive at speed without the swaybars and full load:ack:
I have driven on the highway with the rear swaybar disconnected (without a full load) and almost crapped myself through the corners.
I have MD +2" Emu colis in the rear and standard +2" Emu colis in front with matching Nitrocharger shocks, so the spring rate is not an issue.
I am having the dislocation cone pieces lazer cut and then I'll weld them together and send them off for electo-galv. If there's any interest, I will post a few pics and the drawings...... I'm copying a very well known brand ;)

Mike_Rupp

Mar 26, 2004
Mercer Island, WA
You have OME MD rears and load it to 3 tons and don't have a spring rate issue?

Get the HD-762s or XHD-763s and you won't need a sway bar in the rear. Honestly, if you are doing African overland style wheeling, forget about cones. They help take wonderful pictures, but that's about it.

Quentin

Mar 19, 2006
Cape Town, South Africa
Mike_Rupp said:
You have OME MD rears and load it to 3 tons and don't have a spring rate issue?

Get the HD-762s or XHD-763s and you won't need a sway bar in the rear. Honestly, if you are doing African overland style wheeling, forget about cones. They help take wonderful pictures, but that's about it.

Hehe.....Yup, but I don't always load the Landy like that and I'm on a mission to conquer a particularly difficult hill climb in April when we go away again.
I have a point to prove to a few Land Cruiser drivers who have all tried this climb and failed :rofl:
Going to make up a set of front dislocation cones, shock lowering towers, extended brake lines, swaybar disconnects and hopefully get my front ARB locker in before we leave on our trip.Going to do a little 100km detour out of our way to give this a go.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiwhRxZEpfs&feature=related

Steve Rupp

Apr 21, 2004
Seattle, WA
www.discoweb.org
I can't believe I'm doing this yet again. Cones make a truck extremely unstable. I love when I hear guys say 4 tires on the ground. When that 4th tire drops with nothing holding it in, that side of the truck is forced the other way. A retainer adds weight in that end and keeps the truck much more stable. This is not my opinion.

Quentin

Mar 19, 2006
Cape Town, South Africa
Steve Rupp said:
I can't believe I'm doing this yet again. Cones make a truck extremely unstable. I love when I hear guys say 4 tires on the ground. When that 4th tire drops with nothing holding it in, that side of the truck is forced the other way. A retainer adds weight in that end and keeps the truck much more stable. This is not my opinion.
I'm going to be fabricating everthing myself (besides the front shock towers), so if I am unhappy with the cones, I might just make up some retainers and give them a go.
No big expense, just my time :)
Thanks for the input