locating sunroof drains

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
This sounds dumb and feels dumb, but I can't find the drains on the sunroofs. Water is leaking down the inside of my driver's side A-pillar when it rains and I'm guessing this is the culprit. I'm looking at the schematic of the sunroof in RAVE and I see where the drain holes are supposed to be but I can't find them on my truck. What obvious, dumbass thing am I missing?

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
If I want to clean out the sunroof drain tubes do I need to drop the headliner and come at them from the inside of the truck? I'm looking at Service Repair 76.82.59 in RAVE. It appears there is a fair amount of disassembly of parts to get at the drain tubes. Is there an easier way to access them, say with a coat hanger from outside? This approach worked on my RRC but the Disco sunroof seems to be a more complicated creature.

helievacpilot

Mar 29, 2007
Denver CO
Not sure about the D1, but on my D2 the rear drains terminate behind the rear lights. The fronts come down the A pillar and terminate underneath "about" where the engine and trans meet. The point where the tube connects to the sunroof is also a possibe leak source. That's the one you would probably have to do some dis-assembly to get to. I also found mine was leaking through the outside edge of the frame where it meets the roof. If you can locate yours, some compressed air "up" the tubes can sometimes clear the blockage. Just make sure you lay a sheet out inside the truck to catch all the crap that can get blown out. Here's what I did to fix mine: Now moon-roofs.

Attachments

• Ultra Black.jpg
    Ultra Black.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
I would try to locate the bottom of the tube and blow backwards up and out the top . Do it with the suroof open and have someone hold a towel so that your headliner doesn't get dirty . Don't get your bride to hld the towel , if she gets blasted with the crap she will NEVER help you again . Also when they run down the a pillar trim like you describe its possible the plastic corner of the tray may have come loose from the metal tray . That can be glued back in place with either Right Stuff or better still some poly urethane windshield adhesive .

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
Thanks for the tips. Having spent some quality time with the search function, I learned of other possible sources of my leak: corner of the windscreen by the gutter, for example. Some time spent on research would have been a better place to start but at least I succeeded in clearing some twigs and pine needles out of my sunroof frame. Next up is the silicone sealant at the vulnerable points.