Gas Cap Replacement

AbnMike

Apr 6, 2016
Western Slope, CO
My wife (yes I really mean my wife) forgot to put the gas cap back on the Disco I at the station. I removed the cap, put it on the bumper, had to pee, put her in control of filling it up, she puts the hose back, turns, doesn't see a cap, closes and locks the door, gives me the keys and off we go. I go to fill up on the way home and there's no cap. She apparently "forgot" to ask me where it was...

at any rate I need a new cap. I read that the cap depends on whether you have an AEL or a non-AEL Discovery, and of course to look at a label under the hood which is not there on my Discovery.

So how in the heck do I tell if my 1996 Discovery is AEL or non-AEL so I can order the right cap?

http://www.roverparts.com/TechTips/know_your_emissions_system.cfm

That sticker is missing and I know I'm a 1996.

jastutte

Nov 10, 2009
if you have the square charcoal canister you have the AEL. if you have the round cylinder charcoal canister you have non-AEL.

squirt

Nov 13, 2008
Los Angeles
If the station was convenient for you, you may try stopping back to see if they've got your cap. I used to frequent a gas station when I worked at a dealership, and chatted occasionally with the guy that ran it. He had a big box full of gas caps that people had lost/left behind.

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
Get a second opinion on this, but I think 1996 trucks were pre-AEL. Mine is a 1998, which I'm certain is AEL, and my understanding is that the changeover was in 1997. I bought a replacement gas cap a few years back from Lucky 8 which has worked fine. If you buy a replacement with the tether this will reduce the likelihood of losing your cap again.

AbnMike

Apr 6, 2016
Western Slope, CO

stu454

Dec 15, 2004
Atlanta, GA
Shit. Apologies.

There's a VIN cutoff but I haven't been able to find it.

Edit:

Maybe this will help:

Coolant Hose & Thermostat Kit: Standard Evaporative Loss System

Item: 9370SKE
Fits:
Discovery I | '96 - '97 | For Vehicles Up To VIN # VA350101 With Standard Evaporative Loss System

p m

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 19, 2004
La Jolla, CA
www.3rj.org
pm-
If it's a "regular" gas cap why does AB sell two different ones, one for AEL, one for non-AEL?
Yes vehicles made pre-Oct 1996 are non AEL - ones from post Oct-1996 are AEL.

O'Reilly's lists 1996 D1 gas caps by VIN.
I may be mistaken here - it is my pure speculation: the fuel tank ventilation is not much different for before/after Advanced Evap introduction. The later trucks had a different fuel pump, with a tank pressure sensor added with wiring to the ECU (besides the square can).

NAPA lists the same gas cap for 1994-1999 D1.

AbnMike

Apr 6, 2016
Western Slope, CO
So to follow up:

ordered the non-AEL cap from AB - basic black looking cap. If I tighten it then it becomes impossible to remove - as in "grab the channel locks and twist it" impossible to remove. I've taken to just barely twisting it on there (barely).

It feels as though there is some kind of huge vacuum being created. Anyone ever run into this problem before?

XCELLER8

Sep 21, 2009
So to follow up:

ordered the non-AEL cap from AB - basic black looking cap. If I tighten it then it becomes impossible to remove - as in "grab the channel locks and twist it" impossible to remove. I've taken to just barely twisting it on there (barely).

It feels as though there is some kind of huge vacuum being created. Anyone ever run into this problem before?

same problem with my 96, havent solved it yet......gone through 3 or4 new caps....just barely tighten it....no "clicks" is the only way it will come off....'bout ready to get an OEM one:banghead:

AbnMike

Apr 6, 2016
Western Slope, CO
same problem with my 96, havent solved it yet......gone through 3 or4 new caps....just barely tighten it....no "clicks" is the only way it will come off....'bout ready to get an OEM one:banghead:

If I could find an OEM one I'd get it for sure at almost any price. This sucks, especially in winter.

I'm wondering if that much vacuum is contributing to low MPG numbers...

XCELLER8

Sep 21, 2009
If I could find an OEM one I'd get it for sure at almost any price. This sucks, especially in winter.

I'm wondering if that much vacuum is contributing to low MPG numbers...

I dont think it's vacuum...you should still be able to turn it......all the ones I have that are tight are made by Stant.....hmmmmm