Cross Lander

jsonova99

Apr 14, 2005
Snow Hill, MD
What does everybody think about these things. They definitely look cool, but I would be scared to death about reliability.

http://www.crosslander4x4.com/

Just curious, I think I would personally rather buy an older Defender, but it would be cool to see a rugged vehicle do well in the US again.

D

D Chapman

I read in either Petersons or 4-wheeler, that the Cross Lander was going to have f/r solid axles. by the looks of it, it's IFS....

I like the overall look, but I think they are made from junk. but, I have never seen one...

garrett

Jun 18, 2004
Middleburg, VA
www.blackdogmobility.com
they are to be IFS up front with solid axles in the back. i had inquired some time ago about getting a dealership setup. i was just curious to see what provisions they required and costs. but at the same time i was hearing horror stories about dealerships putting their $ up front and not getting any feedback from Crosslander. guess they have had a hard time getting the feds to OK everything. but apparently they are coming.
reliability? haha. yeh and we drive trouble free trucks. :)
i am sure we won't know a thing until they actually get here and people start putting some miles on them.

jmoore

Oct 7, 2004
Clifton Park, New York
Since your talking about other brands, I must admit I was looking at the long wheel base Wrangler the other day online. I see they even make a Rubicon Version of it. Maybe get a hard top for winter and soft top for summer.

Alexa

I think the crosslander looks good for the money but in the early 80's my father invested a ton of money in putting cummins engines in ARO's which is who makes the crosslander- needless to say it did not work out- the Romanians couldnt get their shit together- I can see this happening again- I feel for the suckers who have put up $$$$$

azarmadillo

Nov 7, 2004
Phoenix, AZ
www.chadmanz.com
My girlfriend works at a dealership whose owner was hoping to add them to their line up. They only reason they wanted to sell them is because they could pocket over $10,000 in profit from each truck. $8000 off the consumer and $2000 from the factory. They didn't care about lousy reliablitity and horrible build quality with that kind of profit. What I heard next was that the US Government wouldn't let them in because they crash tested so bad and couldn't even come close to meeting emissions standards in ANY state, much less California.

They did finally pass emissions testing on December 21, 2004.

It'd be like buying a 4x4 Yugo I think. You'd have to get an extra one just for parts.

Last edited:

jsonova99

Apr 14, 2005
Snow Hill, MD
azarmadillo said:
My girlfriend works at a dealership whose owner was hoping to add them to their line up. They only reason they wanted to sell them is because they could pocket over $10,000 in profit from each truck. $8000 off the consumer and $2000 from the factory. They didn't care about lousy reliablitity and horrible build quality with that kind of profit. What I heard next was that the US Government wouldn't let them in because they crash tested so bad and couldn't even come close to meeting emissions standards in ANY state, much less California.

It'd be like buying a 4x4 Yugo I think. You'd have to get an extra one just for parts.

I read an article about 2 weeks ago saying they are officially coming in September. They had to scrap the diesel engine though for a 4 liter V6.

D

D Chapman

azarmadillo said:
They did finally pass emissions testing on December 21, 2005.
You think I can get the keys to your machine sometime? I need next weeks Lotto numbers :)

jsonova99

Apr 14, 2005
Snow Hill, MD
azarmadillo said:

They're practically cheap enough to. There's a dealer-to-be over in Tampa, I'll have to try one of these things out when they finally get here

SCSL

Apr 27, 2005
jsonova99 said:
They're practically cheap enough to. There's a dealer-to-be over in Tampa, I'll have to try one of these things out when they finally get here

What are they asking for them?

SCSL

Apr 27, 2005
EDL said:
so a search on the web brought this...

1. the pic in the upper corner is a photo of the crosslander with a hanibal roof rack. hmm, looks uncannily like the pic of the SafariGard Disco
http://www.crosslandervt.com/

Yeah!!---That pic is totally bogus! Poor work, too,,,,,