Reset adaptive values

Jun 25, 2018
6
0
Seattle
Ah, gotcha. That makes total sense, and I really appreciate the explanation. I went ahead and bought the ScanTool since the GEMSFixer already works with that tool. Should be here in a few days. Thanks again for your help with this!


Cheers!


Alfredo
 
Jun 25, 2018
6
0
Seattle
Cable came in, and the tool worked like a charm, thanks Robert!


Do you take contributions? PayPal or Venmo? Let me know the deets through PM. Cheers!


Alfredo
 

psykokid

Well-known member
May 29, 2006
79
0
Pasadena, CA
Robert,

Thanks for taking the time to figure this out. It's a great resource to the community.

Back when you first released it I wasn't able to get the windows version to work on my PC, but it worked fine with the OBDLink LX on my wife's macbook. That was good as I had done a bunch of work and needed to reset the adaptives and get the truck smogged. Worked like a charm.

Earlier in the year I saw that you had written and android port and tried it out when you first put it on the play store. The program would load but would crash after connecting. Tried a few times and then sort of forgot about it. Last night I finally got my truck running after the head gasket let go a few months ago. Figured it could do with a re-set and tried running the app again. The first couple of times I would get the crash when trying to connect so I went ahead and tried again. Finally connected and was able to read the data from the ECU. Now when I select adaptive values reset and then apply changes the app quits. Tried again and after the same cycle of no go, no go, and success it read the info, the values were different from the previous ones so I assume it reset. For good measure I tried again and selected adaptive values reset then apply changes the app still crashes.

I reported the error so hopefully you got the error log. Not sure if it's of any use but I'm using the OBDLink LX BT adapter with a Google Pixel XL running Android Pie with the latest security release/update.
 

nuke_123992

Member
Jun 23, 2017
10
0
Illinois
I noticed the same crash, and of course today my truck started doing the 2krpm idle again and needs a reset :)

Edit:

I tried all the downloads here, GEMS11 works, the others gave me missing DLL errors, or "access denied" when trying to connect to the comm port.

The android worked as well, but only on an older version of android OS, so not sure what changed there.
 
Last edited:

yoshibond

New member
May 13, 2012
2
1
Vancouver BC
Read through this whole thread and still struggling to get this to work and would love to if anyone has ideas. Tried Android app and my generic Bluetooth adaptor that works with other ELM apps no issue - just sat on 'connecting to ECU'. Tried OBLink SX - version 1.1 gives me a "COM STATE ERRORConnected to: com 5" message. Version 1 just sits with a single dot and does nothing. Version 2 and 2.1 give me an error of missing files. I located them on the internet and now it gives me another error about a command that could not be executed. This was all running Windows 10.

Setup an XP virtual machine, got device driver installed for XP and it seems to be working. But when I try and execute either of the 1.0 or 1.1 I get a not a valid windows 32 bit application error from XP. Tried 2.0 and 2.1 and got the same error as in Windows 10.

Any ideas to point me in the right direction?

I can try and track down a physical XP machine if that works better … but doesn't seem like a hardware issue on my end (at least the OBDLINK software works flawlessly).
 

yoshibond

New member
May 13, 2012
2
1
Vancouver BC
For anyone reading this in the future, I figured it out after 2 days of trial and error, setting up virtual machines, finding old versions of obdwiz, trying to get window xp updates and much more than I can recall....

In the end of the day, got robertf's version 1.0 to work on Windows 10 (ignoring steps that proved not to help)

1) installed Obdwiz and got it fully functional as per instructions

2) Downloaded v1.0 of GEMS from Robertf

3) KEY - Went on OBDLink website and got latest FIRMWARE for OBDLink SX - I had been worried about drivers and tried many current and old versions of the drivers to see if a new driver was causing the issue but it turns out whatever firmware I had on there when purchased from Amazon wasn't playing well. After downloading the latest firmware s-x-4.5.1 I tried running and it kept telling me to unplug and replug and try again. Eventually, figured out changing from the default to baud rate of 115200 and it worked like a charm. Note that firmware upgrade needs to run as administrator.

4) Opened command prompt, navigated to directory and "gems com5 reset" - worked

I had my OBD2 scanner on immediately before this and LT fuel trim was 13 and instantly went to 0 after this.

Now my short-term fuel trim is quite high (as high as 20) so obviously have some type of a fuel management issue to deal with but that is fine.

Reading at other people talking about using this app, I have a feeling many do this, get idle running well (at the expense of a properly adapted engine) and then overtime as adaptation happens it causes idle issues again to compensate. But now I can actually reset, adjust, monitor and do clean diagnostics.

Very happy. Thanks robertf.
 
  • Like
Reactions: logan_gibson