TRIM LEVEL HELP

RedneckHippy

Sep 23, 2017
Oklahoma
This is my first post, but have been lurking for a while.

I just bought my first LR a couple weeks ago from my cousin. It's a '97 Disco that is a DD/project combo. So far, I love it. She has a few issues, but mechanically sound overall.

I'm confused on what trim package I have. The tailgate says V8i, but I have come across conflicting information in all my research. It's setup like a SE7 (heated leather seats, dual power sunroofs, factory 6-disc changer, rear jump seats), but I have read a couple of places that the V8i is in between the SD & SE. Others, disregard the V8i as a trim package altogether. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Leadvagas

Jun 10, 2010
Leadville CO
V8i, is just the power plant. NAS was all V8i, the rest of the world got the option of the 300TDI diesel, the MPI 2.5 (IIRC) or the V8. There seems to be quite a level of variation with in the trim levels. I have seen SD's with leather seats and SE's with cloth. I looked at Disco's on the dealer lots back in '96 and '97 it seemed to me like you could get just about any combination. About the only combination of trim I have never run across is cloth seats no sun roof and jump seats. Drill bit or Will T are most likely the best authorities, they have pulled apart more trucks than I have seen by far.

robertf

Jan 22, 2006
-
Ive owned a 95, 96, and 97 each with different options. None or them had any stickers indicating trim. Ill have to check the window sticker on the 95 to see if its even mentioned. Maybe the dealer was responsible for applying them? Whenever I saw another disco around here when they were newish with a se or sd sticker it looked cheap and out of place.

RedneckHippy

Sep 23, 2017
Oklahoma
Thanks, guys.

Leadvagas,
I was aware of us only getting the V8 option here & also came across what you just stated in my research.

robertf,
I haven't seen a D1 with anything denoting trim, just a few D2s.

I guess I'll just call it a SE7 until I find out otherwise. Ha!

robertf

Jan 22, 2006
-
Thanks, guys.

Leadvagas,
I was aware of us only getting the V8 option here & also came across what you just stated in my research.

robertf,
I haven't seen a D1 with anything denoting trim, just a few D2s.

I guess I'll just call it a SE7 until I find out otherwise. Ha!

Maybe it was introduced at the same time as the LSE cause they seemed to coincide with those fugly wheels.

RedneckHippy

Sep 23, 2017
Oklahoma
Maybe it was introduced at the same time as the LSE cause they seemed to coincide with those fugly wheels.

:rofl: I kinda like them. Not enough to keep them for much longer, though. Ha! I do like them better than the Defender wheels (which, I have 1 as a spare). I'm thinking NATO/Wolf when I lift it.

Drillbit

Oct 12, 2005
Glasgow Ky
If you have sunroofs it's an SE7 if no it's an SD7. Just so you know it doesn't have any real effect on the truck. It's just trim, some parts houses want to know what package you have to sell you non-interior parts because they are stupid, just say SE because that is most common. Nice looking truck, have fun with it. The V8I was stuck onto some cars at the dealer. Not an official package.

RedneckHippy

Sep 23, 2017
Oklahoma
Drillbit,

Thank you! It's been bothering me not being sure after reading other stuff other places. I figured it was the SE, but started to 2nd guess myself.

Trust me, I know how parts houses can be (windshield wipers? is it 2wd or 4wd?) I worked at O'Reilly's for a couple of years & the computer asks that with every truck. Most parts hands aren't auto-savvy, either. lol. Thanks for the help & the compliment. I'm enjoying it. It needs some TLC, but a good base to start with & modify/restore as extra money comes in.

WaltNYC

Mar 3, 2010
NYC
SE7 generally would suggest it has rear A/C, a rear ladder and hydraulic step off the rear bumper (and jump seats as you mentioned).

There do seem to be many different variations.

My 'plain' SE has sunroofs, leather seats, but no rear A/C or jump seats, or ladder & step.

RedneckHippy

Sep 23, 2017
Oklahoma
I've got the rear A/C & step (which, I LOVE!). No ladder, though. It's still up for debate if it had one or not. There's a lot of random clear silicone on it. Some is on cracked window seals & some is dripped on the body. But, Hey! It was never intended to be a show queen.

Stillruns

Sep 25, 2017
Vandown Byth Eriver
The "7" in SE7 or SD7 indicates that it is a 7 passenger Discovery and is verified by the two rear jumpseats. An SD Discovery is one without sunroofs and generally no interior wood trim pieces. The SD also lacked heated seats and came with the standard Tornado alloys. The SE would have dual sunroofs, heated seats and a few more interior trim upgrades as well as different wheels, usually the Deep Dish alloys. Next up was the LE. A few more interior upgrades from the SE. There were no LE7 Discovery's. Only SD7, SE7 and LSE7. The LSE was the premium package for Discovery in 1998 and 1999. They were easily recognized by the silver door handles and chrome front and rear bumpers. They also had full wood trim pieces and a lighter piped leather interior. LSE also had the Boost alloy wheels.

The rear hydraulic step was for the rear passengers to enter and exit for the SD7 and SE7. There was also an LSE7 Discovery but you rarely see those anymore. The 7's also had a rear cargo door handle on the rear interior tailgate for rear passengers to grab.

Ive never seen a 95 or 96 with rear tailgate V8i. Only 97-99. You can usually spot a 95 or 96 with its exterior radio antenna. 97-99 did not have exterior antennas. Keep in mind also that a lot of Discovery's have been repainted and may not have had their original lettering put back on,

Hope this helps some.

Last edited: