Broken Stud...Options w/out removing Manifold?

Agent

Jun 20, 2007
WV
I?ve got a broken stud on the driver side exhaust manifold. Any options to fix it without having to pull the manifold? I don?t think there is, but I wanted to ask the Dweb brain trust before I start taking things apart.

Thanks!

squirt

Nov 13, 2008
Los Angeles
I assume you're talking about the manifold-downpipe joint? If so, I've repaired a hundred of these by grinding it flush, drilling, and replacing with a through-bolt.

Can be done on the car if you pull the cat out of the way.

Agent

Jun 20, 2007
WV
I assume you're talking about the manifold-downpipe joint? If so, I've repaired a hundred of these by grinding it flush, drilling, and replacing with a through-bolt.

Can be done on the car if you pull the cat out of the way.

Yep, that?s what I was referring to. Thanks!

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
I used to drill and tap. But these manifolds are easy to find these days. Not sure what a few hours on your weekend is worth. If you call one of the vendors here and find out what he can sell you one for, I bet you choose that route. I was cleaning out under my tool box and found three of the damn things.

Apr 20, 2004
Floyd, Virginia
I have one I will send for 60 with all Three Gaskets. So much easier than wasting time trying to resolve that issue.

On a repair note. You will need to get that stud as red hot as possible and then typically you can back them out with vice grips.