Vibration

Payson

Aug 14, 2017
SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA
I have a 2004 Disco II with a Terra Firma lift, custom front shaft, rebuilt rear shaft and flex joint, but I have vibration at 45+ Mph under load as well as no load. If I maintain speed, with no large load I have no vibration. Took it to my driveline guy and seems to think the lift is causing the vibration. I have read somewhere that the engine mounts can be a cause of this type of vibration. Has anyone had experience with this type of issue?

squirt

Nov 13, 2008
Los Angeles
Yes with a lift you need to get rid of the roto coupler and find a u joint style shaft

I see a lot of people say this, but I've never had an issue with the rotoflex on multiple trucks with true 3" lifts. Both highway driving and challenging off-road use.

I carry a spare rotoflex joint all the time, but I've never needed it.

K-rover

Jan 15, 2010
Raleigh, NC
I ran the rotoflex on my 2.5" lift with no problems for several years.. It wasnt until I went to a 4" lift that I did the Ujoint conversion

Payson

Aug 14, 2017
SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA
Thanks for the responses.... I replaced the flex joint 7,000 miles ago when I rebuilt the rear shaft. I will start with checking the flex joints and then the engine mounts and go from there. Will let you know how it goes...

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
I see a lot of people say this, but I've never had an issue with the rotoflex on multiple trucks with true 3" lifts. Both highway driving and challenging off-road use.

I carry a spare rotoflex joint all the time, but I've never needed it.

I prefere a rotoflex coupler too. I think I'm usually over 3inches of lift, but the truck I'm doing now will be a bit shorter. Not much but hopefully enough to run one.

jymmiejamz

Dec 5, 2004
Los Angeles, Ca
Yes with a lift you need to get rid of the roto coupler and find a u joint style shaft

Not on a DII because it has radius arms in the rear. The the driveshaft angle never changes at the diff pinion, so the rotoflex doesn't flex like it would in a D1. I'd rather have a rotoflex because if it fails it is way easier to replace than a u-joint on the side of the road.

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
Not on a DII because it has radius arms in the rear. The the driveshaft angle never changes at the diff pinion, so the rotoflex doesn't flex like it would in a D1. I'd rather have a rotoflex because if it fails it is way easier to replace than a u-joint on the side of the road.

Makes sense. I guess I never thought about it cause I would never own one. #series2sucks

SCSL

Apr 27, 2005
I'd rather have a rotoflex because if it fails it is way easier to replace than a u-joint on the side of the road.

I used to be in that camp as well until I started replacing rotos literally after every wheeling trip. Then I switched to a u-joint about 7 or 8 years ago and never looked back. It's highly dependent on how often, and at what level, the truck sees trails. I do love the ease of replacement that a roto offers, I just got tired exercising (and paying for) that ease every weekend.