TF/OME Springs Make No Sense

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
I dont over think it. I have heavy OMEs on my ride. They are great on the highway with no sway bars. Yes they are stiff off road, but that also allows me to hit stuff harder if momentum is necessary. Also I dont think any aftermarket spring will truly feel right until after a year or two of wheeling. Kind of a break in period.

I have the HD OME springs in my truck and I think there a little stiff. I think next time I'm going to run a little softer a spring but probably OME stuff again. I think with with springs this stiff a lot of articulation is lost. I can tell you also that the OME shocks can't dampen these springs enough.

I hate stock springs because they seem to sag over time. I'm sure all springs do that but not as bad.

Eric posted some really good spring info here, should be able to make a good spring choice with that.

DiscoPhoto

Jul 23, 2012
Vermont
I don't disagree there. You may end up with more body damage if you get into the harder stuff, but I'm always amazed to see what D1s can do with 2" lift and 235/85s

stu454

Dec 15, 2004
Atlanta, GA
In their rush to get the Big Daddy Bad Cousin Fucker lift, people forget that a mildly lifted D1 can be wheeled like hell, hosed off, and valet parked at the opera that same night.

No reference to the op is intended.

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
In their rush to get the Big Daddy Bad Cousin Fucker lift, people forget that a mildly lifted D1 can be wheeled like hell, hosed off, and valet parked at the opera that same night.

Yup. Like this:

Except that user error resulted in damage to the left rear quarter panel, which is evident upon close examination.

2" springs and 30" AT tires got me through this no problem:

When I drive trails with Landy friends I can usually manage about 85% of the terrain covered by much more modified trucks.

stu454

Dec 15, 2004
Atlanta, GA
Meaning that 15% of the terrain they have to tow or winch you off?
Nick, Rubicon is not for you :)

I recall a 109 running the Rubicon with us back in '05. He was running 7.5x16's or 235/85's if I recall correctly. There was a bit of rock-stacking, but nothing that I would be embarrassed by.

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
Meaning that 15% of the terrain they have to tow or winch you off?
Nick, Rubicon is not for you :)

More or less. I've been winched up slippery climbs, had to bust out the waffle boards on occasion, been towed out of mud, and decided to simply not drive certain sections of trail. I accept this tradeoff as a limitation of how I've chosen to configure my Disco. Not having that extra 15% can provide opportunities for creative solutions. Sometimes that is enjoyable, other times it's frustrating. I have also been lucky to ride with friends in tricked-out Rovers so I know how much fun that last 15% can be, but I haven't chosen to make my own truck that capable.

KngTgr

May 20, 2005
Fairfax, VA
Reviving an old tread, how big is the difference in ride quality between TF light load springs vs medium load?

I have a stock 98 D1, want a 2 " lift, will install a medium duty TF front bumper (37 kg) and maybe a winch (big maybe), later a light/medium duty rear bumper, and another big maybe, a roof rack

Use is daily driver with one or two loaded trips per year

Guided by the numbers shown at the beginning of this tread, I feel the medium duty kit might be too harsh.